Rokslide 2012 Extreme Challenge

OP
D

david long

herdbull...we may have to do two separate groups - people who want to hike 100% of it and another group for those who will run/hike. We did the four pass loop in 12 hrs last year, but I really want to do it in under 10 hrs this time around. In order to accomplish this, we will need to run/jog the majority of the downhill sections.

OP
D

david long

As we get closer, I will start an email list of the people who are serious about doing it and whether they prefer to hike the entire route or if they want to incorporate running on the downhills. That way, we will know how many people will be in each group.

herdbull

FNG
It looks like I might have to pass. I've run into quite the little logistical predicament. I've got roughly 17 days of vacation planned. 1 day to drive there, 1 day to drive home and 1 day of acclimation in Grand Lake and RMNP. Toss in 2.5-3 days of hanging around North park and the upper Poudre and that only leaves me roughly 11 days to climb somewhere between 20-22 14ers. I've got more on the list but I think the 22 is pretty aggressive already.

This doesn't take any potentially life threatening weather one may encounter above timberline. Which might alter the days plans on that day. I don't see how I can squeeze a day hike in with you guys. I'd love to but I don't think it's happening.

I do have this hairbrained idea of just climbing in the early am, drive to the next TH and start another climb no matter if it's noon or 8:00 pm. Which could speed things up quite a bit. Then again I'd probably just tack a couple more 14ers on the end of it and continue on - lol. I'm kinda dense that way.

I'll follow along and if I happen to be in the area that day maybe I'll try and hook up with you guys.

OP
D

david long

Ok guys and gals, it is time to see who is serious about participating in the Rokslide 2012 Extreme Challenge - we are getting close. Anyone who is serious about it, please send me an email at [email protected] that contains your name, address, email address and phone number. Also, we may do the challenge in two different groups because some people have expressed an interest in running/jogging some parts of the loop. Therefore, in the email, please state whether you intend to hike the entire loop, or whether you would prefer to run/jog the downhill portions of the loop.

Thanks,

Dave

Outdoorsman3830

Lil-Rokslider
I'll keep an eye out for an exact date before putting my name on the list. I'm taking some vacation time in the end of June beginning of July already, but I could work out a couple extra days before and after that too. I'd love to see how I fair in 14,000' elevations. I have only climbed up into 10,000' elevations in Idaho. Once the dates are set, I will send you an email to sign up if I can get that particular time to participate.

Sounds Like an Exciting Event! Thank You,

OP
D

david long

After talking with a couple of people, we should have no problem with mid-July, therefore, I will go ahead and set a date so that everyone that may be interested can begin planning for it.

The Rokslide 2012 Extreme Challenge will be on July 14, 2012. Originally, we had talked about making it a two day event, but instead, it will be a one day event in which we will complete the 28-mile Four Pass Loop in approximately 10-14 hours.

Anyone who is interested, please send me an email at [email protected] with your name, address, email and phone number. There will be two groups: people who want to hike the entire route (12-14 hours to complete) and those who want to run/jog the majority of the downhill (10-11 hours to complete). In your email, please be sure to let me know which group you would like to participate in as well.

Once I get the participant email list completed, I will begin to email out the specific details, etc.

ROK ON!

herdbull

FNG
hmmm.... bummer. Unfortunately mid day on the 14th is when the truck must be pointed eastward and I start my drive back to reality. Looks like I'll miss you by a week as I have Maroon, North Maroon & Pyramid schedule on the Saturday before so I'd be in the area.

As I understand it the road gets shut down during the day to the Bells? It looks like a daily shut down due to traffic? I don't think it would be an issue for me as I plan on leaving the TH around 4:30am.

Too bad things didn't overlap more, it'd be fun to meet up and take in a nice hike.

OP
D

david long

All,

The Challenge is one month away.....here is a list of everyone who sent me emails stating they wanted to participate:

David Long
Jeff Kirtley
Don Cestnik
Tom Heydt
Matt Eastman
Corey Dixon
Luke Meduna (possible)

If for some reason I missed someone, or if anyone simply wants to be added to the list of participants, please let me know asap. We will need to firm up plans very soon.

Thanks,

Dave

OP
B

bearguide

what kind of foot wear do you use for that type of an experience

OP
R

rebecca francis

Bearguide and I are planning on it. I will email you David. Can't wait! I too am interested in what shoes you will be wearing for running the trail. I would normally wear my kenetrek hiking boots, but for this I think a lighter weight trail running type shoe would be better. Thoughts?

OP
D

david long

Lee and Rebecca......I will add you to the email list. I will forward the email to you guys that I sent out to the group yesterday regarding performance tees for the run/hike.

Yes, lightweight trail running shoes are the way to go. Last year, I used the Asics GEL - Trabuco 13 trail runners......they performed amazingly well......only had one tiny little blister after finishing the loop.
gel.jpg

OP
R

rebecca francis

Hey Dave have you ever had a problem with lack of ankle support wearing those type of shoes running on a mountain trail?

Dave,

Was the terrain all mostly level, as in not sidehilling? I ask because I wouldn't think that something like a trail runner would be a good choice if I had to walk across a 45* slope.

Thanks,

Larry

OP
D

david long

Dave,

Was the terrain all mostly level, as in not sidehilling? I ask because I wouldn't think that something like a trail runner would be a good choice if I had to walk across a 45* slope.

Thanks,

Larry
Larry......there is no sidehilling.....the trail is level and is one of the most used and well maintained trails in the Rockies.

OP
D

david long

Got to looking at my Asics that I used last year.....not much tread left on them so I figured I had better get a new pair for the Rokslide Extreme Challenge. Went and tried on three different pairs today and ended up buying some Brooks Cascadia 6 trail runners. Got them in the green/black "Rokslide" edition. lol. Just did a 40 minute run in them and they feel great!
brooks.jpg