Rokslide Faux Pas

Yes, I'm doing it dammit. But not too bad I suppose. Here goes:

First ever Mule Deer Hunt for me. I've seen them elk hunting in Colorado. I understand their general behavior and terrain that they like. Saw them up in the thick nasty, and down in the sage. So I have an idea. I would just like a bit of guidance.

In Region L, looking at the more southern units within the region. Hunting from Oct. 15-20th. Arriving on the 13th. Have a lot of areas marked for glassing in the southwestern portion of the region near Popo Agie Wilderness in NF designated area. Also have numerous areas marked for glassing on BLM in the two units to the East open for General Deer.

My real question is this,now that a stage has been set: Would a guy be better served to focus more in the NF or along the canyons and sage draws on BLM for this area? I'm sure that there are deer in all areas, but looking for a good, representative specimen. Not afraid of busting tail to get it done. Will have the ability to backpack in, as well as truck camp. Will have good optics, boots, clothing, and attitude. Now that I've stated that, I'm sure my bags will be lost in route.

Any advice appreciated, either super specific or broad strokes. I'll take what I can get. Feel free to PM.

I will obviously regale the forum with tales of success and/or woe as exampled by my Colorado First Rifle hunt in 2018.

Thanks and hope all have a great season!

Fwiw, good job not listing a unit, but this post is still searchable by every landmark you named in your write up. Google is a little too easy these days ;).

As for the NF vs BLM, I don't think there's anyone that can (or will)answer that question. Deer will go where there's food, water, and shelter, without too many predators. two of those criteria are weather dependent, based on the year. Set up a plan that helps YOU find deer. No one else can really do that for you.

I hunt in Wyoming where there is the option to hunt lower country BLM or national forest.

I enjoy hunting open country more on this hunt. There are plenty of deer and plenty of hunters in both places. There are big and small deer in both places. But from a mental standpoint I will hunt harder and more effectively in the low country so that’s what I do.

I don’t think there is a correct answer to your question of where to focus.

TheGDog

WKR
If it's your first ever trip in there... maybe you'd want to pick areas that give you more for your glassing dollar? Meaning pick spots to glass at where the terrain is open *enough* that making the effort to get up into a high-high for glassing actually gives you an ROI?

At worst you figure you can confirm that you don't see a lot, then know to move along, right? Just thinking out loud that if the first places you go to have a habitat that's thicker, where maybe the glassing proves to be less fruitful to you and useful... just thinking that would seem less efficient use of the time you *do* have. Just spit-balling out loud.