Rokslide First aid kit

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
So, I recently starting trying to piece together a nice back country first aid kit with all the stuff a guy would typically need. When buying everything, it usually comes in bigger packs than what you would want to pack, so you have excess. Just made me think that offering a kit with all the goodies in it, ( tenacious tape, band aids, benedril, fire starter, etc) all in one would be an easy option. I am not sure if it is too much work or if it would even sell, but I know if you offered it, I would buy one and so would the guy I hunt with. Kind of like the kill kits. We can all piece it together, but it sure is nice to have someone else do it and pay a little premium for their time.

Definitely a decent idea. I feel like it's one of those things that is very specific to each person tho.
Mine is mostly tape and moleskin.
And I'm sure someone would complain about the shipping lol.
And the other problem is I kinda forget Rokslide has a store to be honest.
Not that I want them to spam the crap out of us. Not sure what the solution there would be.

For me moleskin, fire starter, water tablets, compass, quickclot, a few bandages and some tape.

All American Boy

Lil-Rokslider
Had an unfortunate, yet lucky knife accident last year and stuck my leg. I know, not my finest hour. That said, afterwards decided I needed to up my medical game. Now...tourniquet, Israeli bandage, and quick clot bandage stays in the pack. And, have a serious medical bag bag in the truck. Blood loss via a knife or bullet wound is the real concern, and will take one out of the game real quick.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member

Before long, people start adding all kinds of stuff to their first aid kit. To me, firestarter is not a first aid item, just like emergency blankets or emergency bivy is also not first aid. That’s more of a survival kit in my mind. Not saying it is a bad idea to have at all. Just saying first aid is medical

Ever had to fish someone out of the drink in cold water. Fire starter and EB are both in my kit.

Fatcamp

WKR
Very good article, I know NOLS offers wilderness first aid classes at REI. Has anyone taken any classes pertaining to first aid/emergency in the backcountry?

My wife's University has classes during the summer. We couldn't make it work last year. Hopefully this year. They had a bunch of online content for free. I'll see if I can find it.

BKasaback

FNG
My wife's University has classes during the summer. We couldn't make it work last year. Hopefully this year. They had a bunch of online content for free. I'll see if I can find it.
That would be awesome, it’s a little expensive but the NOLS class is 2-days (I think 16hours) and you get some sort of certification. Wouldn’t mind learning some hands on training, but I do love me some free online knowledge!

Fatcamp

WKR
It was NOLS. Here is a link to online medical content. Certainly no replacement for professional training, but I'm sure it's worth the time.
I am just wrapping up nursing school and look forward to some time for other endeavors.

zog

Lil-Rokslider
Certainly no replacement for professional training, but I'm sure it's worth the time.
You are correct on both accounts. It's no replacement for professional training, but ANY reliable training is WELL WORTH THE TIME. I'm glad to hear a trained nurse say so. Most of us are not professionals but we venture out anyway.

The great thing about online training is to hear real accounts from real accidents - handled well and handled poorly.

Good thread and good topic for off-season preparation.

CB2900

FNG
Whether I’m hunting, shooting a match, or anything with guns or bows I have a tourniquet with me. Granted I have never had to buy one thanks to deployments but I do believe they are critical. Just my opinion.