WTB Rokslide member trying to scam

fwafwow

WKR
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Due to the new tax laws if you get, if I remember correctly, $600 in your PayPal that is Labeled G&S they are going to start to tax that as income. I think they are doing that with all Pay services.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you get more than $600 of G&S in a year you get a Form 1099, but that doesn’t mean you have income. On the other hand, if you are selling stuff for more than you paid, you already have income - regardless of the form of payment (it just may be a self-reporting obligation).

Some active sellers on other exchanges (especially for knives) are pretty adamant about refusing to use G&S because of the tax reporting change, and because PP may close down your account if you use it for knives or firearms. No note is required for G&S, and some sellers will undo the transaction if you put *anything* in the notes. Also, buyers pull scams too, and PP is said to favor the buyer in a dispute.

A phone or video call can help, but my personal fear is not of a Nigerian scammer, but someone in the US who can talk a good game.

There are some flags that we can recognize, but scammers won’t, so I discourage members from posting them. I do like sharing their email and PP info, as they may be less likely to change those when they inevitably create a new username.

End of rant -

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I can speak with recent experience that Zelle has no scam protection.

There is a difference between fraud and scam. You get scammed with Zelle, you aren’t getting your money back.

Last edited:

fwafwow

WKR
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
I can speak with recent experience that Zelle has no fraud protection.

There is a difference between fraud and scam. You get scammed with Zelle, you aren’t getting your money back.
I agree it is *very* unlikely you can get your money back with Zelle, but I just heard of one exception on a knife forum. Best advice is to not use it, and more generally to not do deals (buying or selling) without doing due diligence.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I agree it is *very* unlikely you can get your money back with Zelle, but I just heard of one exception on a knife forum. Best advice is to not use it, and more generally to not do deals (buying or selling) without doing due diligence.

Had to edit my post, but I see you already replied. What I meant to say was Zelle has no scam protection. They do have fraud protection, so they say, but you authorize the payment you are fighting a seriously uphill battle to try to get that money back.

Kylerjay05

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I posted a wtb thread for some accubonds and a newbie messaged me and told me to reach out to a email address he had some available for shipping. I emailed the guy and he got right back to me. Sent me a picture of the bullets he had and wanted me to pay friends and family. The email name did not match up to the odd PayPal name that he was requesting money with. I did a quick google image search and found the image of the bullets he sent me on there from a shop in England. Now he is being persist on me sending the money. If there’s one thing in this world I hate the most it has to be thief’s trying to scam me. Too bad it’s not a face to face transaction!! Glad I paid attention and don’t want to see anyone else on here get scammed !

Email was [email protected]
PayPal is Jerstone wafula.
I was also reached out to. Scam for sure

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What really sucks is being new to a forum, but having nothing but good intentions. People don’t trust you because of crap like this. I’m currently looking for a Tikka in 7mm-08 and can’t get a reply to save my life, likely because 1) tikkas are great guns that don’t get sold often, and 2) I’m a “junior” member.

fwafwow

WKR
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
What really sucks is being new to a forum, but having nothing but good intentions. People don’t trust you because of crap like this. I’m currently looking for a Tikka in 7mm-08 and can’t get a reply to save my life, likely because 1) tikkas are great guns that don’t get sold often, and 2) I’m a “junior” member.
I’m not a Tikka expert, but I think it’s #1. I didn’t see a single one on GB, used or new.

OP
eriknezbeth
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I agree I’m just here trying to get ready for my first trip out west on a elk hunt this fall and people like that ruin it for guys like us. This forum is fascinating with the endless amounts of information and gear . I do understand peoples hesitation with new members for that reason You just don’t know. But I’m also not hesitant to make a phone call or whatever else I need to do to validate my authenticity.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I agree I’m just here trying to get ready for my first trip out west on a elk hunt this fall and people like that ruin it for guys like us. This forum is fascinating with the endless amounts of information and gear . I do understand peoples hesitation with new members for that reason You just don’t know. But I’m also not hesitant to make a phone call or whatever else I need to do to validate my authenticity.

Same here. Some of the guys are SO helpful. Some, well, I think they need to take a chill pill. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dries

WKR
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If you get more than $600 of G&S in a year you get a Form 1099, but that doesn’t mean you have income. On the other hand, if you are selling stuff for more than you paid, you already have income - regardless of the form of payment (it just may be a self-reporting obligation).

Some active sellers on other exchanges (especially for knives) are pretty adamant about refusing to use G&S because of the tax reporting change, and because PP may close down your account if you use it for knives or firearms. No note is required for G&S, and some sellers will undo the transaction if you put *anything* in the notes. Also, buyers pull scams too, and PP is said to favor the buyer in a dispute.

A phone or video call can help, but my personal fear is not of a Nigerian scammer, but someone in the US who can talk a good game.

There are some flags that we can recognize, but scammers won’t, so I discourage members from posting them. I do like sharing their email and PP info, as they may be less likely to change those when they inevitably create a new username.

End of rant -
So you are good to go with using G&S? You just have keep track of what you bought and what you sold it for? Is there any other way to pay that’s safe as G&S but without the hassle? I just hate paying taxes to an already over reaching bloated Government.
Thanks

fwafwow

WKR
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
So you are good to go with using G&S? You just have keep track of what you bought and what you sold it for? Is there any other way to pay that’s safe as G&S but without the hassle? I just hate paying taxes to an already over reaching bloated Government.
Thanks
Yes and yes. (But I’m not a frequent seller - unlike some of the knife guys - some claim to do 100s of deals a year.) I have no idea if there is anything comparable to G&S (note - nothing is completely safe) although I think Venmo has the same protection option now - but also is subject to the same reporting regime. If you are *paying* G&S, there’s no tax issue.

As for taxes, I don’t want to pay anymore than I’m supposed to, but if it’s my obligation to pay, I do so. The downside is too great - imho.

rodney747

WKR
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Thanks
If you sell something for less than you bought it for wouldn't that be a loss on your income tax if you use the long form?

Plowboy85

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Beware of the pm replies that every sentence ends with sir...... also had a scammer like every reply in our pm conversation.
If you have been on this site very long some thing just jump out at you as not being right.

I agree with above comments that I hate a scumbag trying to rip me off.
Aw shit, unfortunately I use sir abs ma’am quite often. I’m 36 and my folks will still give bad looks if they hear me not address someone properly. Deep Southern roots are to blame I reckon.

Plowboy85

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
If you sell something for less than you bought it for wouldn't that be a loss on your income tax if you use the long form?
Just relaying what was told to me by an accountant. You would have to show the proof of original purchase. Sounds like I need to start a predator control LLC to slide some loses around!🤔

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Scammers demand payment by F&F because once you send the money (to a FRIEND or FAMILY MEMBER you trust. YOU TRUST) it cannot be recovered. You are, by paypal’s definition, sending money to someone you know and trust. So when you get scammed and go crying to paypal, they say FU!

Smokey12

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a message from the same person today. I had an idea it was a scammer and never responded.