Rokslide Staff - Eagle Eye Ammunition Review ***Updated 7/9/20***

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Though I did find higher than expected sd when initially testing my EE ammo, I'm not seeing it down range. It easily stays sub moa in my Tikka and struggles a bit in my Kimber and target gun. Unfortunately I believe poor precision in my target gun is due to some recent bad Smith work. And the Kimber is just being a Kimber. Monos have been close to moa in that.

Overall, I'm happy with the ammo. Prior to the price increase, I'm not sure if be able to duplicate it with my reloading at the same cost. Though, I do factor my time in the cost of reloading but at Chinese factory worker prices. I really should give myself a raise.

What SD do you usually want to see?
What about ES (extreme spread)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Really? Good to hear.

Yeah. Even at Branded Rock Canyon. The best that I could get was MOA. The instructor shot it, with the same results. I figured that was all the gun was ever going to be. I didn’t expect more from it. But even with a more simple reticle, I was regularly getting subMOA with the EEA. Last time I shot EEA through the Ruger I was getting MOA but I was laying in the snow and dirt and my face was cold etc. This last week was a different story. Best groups I’ve ever gotten.

Sled

WKR
What SD do you usually want to see?
What about ES (extreme spread)?

if i'm loading it the sd needs to be single digits. if i'm buying it 15fps is suitable. 20+ is for mid range and under and the price needs to be right. consistent neck tension has always been my issue when the sd goes awry with my reloads. if i have a batch that isn't consistent then i use those for close work. but i still check them at distance just in case my chrono/magneto speed wasn't telling me the truth. that may have been the case here with the EE ammo. i really didn't put enough rounds through it to say with certainty.

with ES, if it's reasonable and consistent per range session then i'm happy. i really don't do much chrono work after load development unless i'm trying to figure out an issue i'm having or test the temp stability of the load in a different season. i haven't seriously reloaded in a few years now but i will throw together some proven loads when needed. i just don't have time or interest anymore. most store bought premium loads are good enough for what i want to do. if i wanted to compete, which i never have, then i'd likely start rolling my own again.

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I tried a review back in November of '19 but it didn't go well.
Cold, uncomfortable, I didn't have a chrono etc. So, I had to postpone.EEA2.JPGEEA4.jpgEEA7.JPG

Attachments

• EEA7.JPG
    EEA7.JPG
    339.3 KB · Views: 16

Ketron10a

FNG
Ok I have to revive this thread because I am curious. So testing was good. I actually ordered some up based off this review alone. 14-16 weeks for arrival with current shortages.

To the shooters.... Did you use it during hunting season? Longest shot? Animal results? Real world Performance? Thoughts beyond paper punching?

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok I have to revive this thread because I am curious. So testing was good. I actually ordered some up based off this review alone. 14-16 weeks for arrival with current shortages.

To the shooters.... Did you use it during hunting season? Longest shot? Animal results? Real world Performance? Thoughts beyond paper punching?

I didn’t get to kill anything with the EEA. I burned it all up shooting paper and steel. They were going to send more, so I wasn’t “saving” any for hunting season. I didn’t receive any Ammo after the review.
Let us know what you think. I thought I was great, but I’d like to hear what you have to say.

Sled

WKR
I took a cow and an antelope with their 6.5 cm 135 berger hunter this year. Shots were between 150-200yd and bother were one shot kills. I'm also waiting on resupply of another 100 that should be here in april.

Sled

WKR

Good news! I ordered some back on January 11th of this year and just got my shipped notification. So, they are still making ammo it just takes time to catch up when everyone tries to buy at the same time.

Ketron10a

FNG
I finally got some time to get out, change my zero, and do some testing. Used Howard’s chrono data and input 2770 as an average in my 4DOF Hornady calculator. Was pretty close. I’m pretty happy with this ammo. Shooting out of a Ruger Predator I placed in a MagPul Hunter stock off of sand bags. Scope is a Vortex Viper HS-T. Temperature was ~73* and the wind was the challenging part gusting to 15-20mph frequently from the 10-11 o’clock direction.
c1b2c86e37482b2e0474a563894aa981.jpg

After 10 rounds to adjust 100y zero and foul the bore it started to group well.
c4f46c9dd353fe850dca56b0c2ad0372.jpg

I then shot this stellar group (minus the crappy 4th. Shot flyer that only opened the group to .990 MOA)
17f99b334479e4a07b236bf94a0add9b.jpg

I then adjusted my zero to 200y for an upcoming hunt and did some shot strings….
ae67727e174b608f98d6e26c5145cdbf.jpg

c5d72b1aa9da4cf61661b0b87e9b8851.jpg

db18754023eb193dc5b87f6558a8d8fe.jpg

Then did some work at 300 but miscalculated the original adjustment. I was a little high but still shooting ~1-1.3 MOA and this was my best group after I put in the correct elevation and a better windage adjustment
647c1ccb0ba35385cf78f5f9f398fb73.jpg

Again…1 crappy flyer. But oh well.

I think I’m satisfied as I’m gonna get without hand loading. It’s a bit better than results I had with Hornady. Probably due to better quality control and I think the 135g Berger is a sweet spot for my rifle. Probably will order more after season and I intend to use it for my mule deer hunt in Utah next month.

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the update/ I’m glad you like their Ammo.

Just a reminder that 2770 was in 6.5 through a 22” barrel.
If you can’t get a chrono on your rifle, I’d suggest you “prove it” at extended range.

Keep us posted if you kill something

Ketron10a

FNG
Thanks for the update/ I’m glad you like their Ammo.

Just a reminder that 2770 was in 6.5 through a 22” barrel.
If you can’t get a chrono on your rifle, I’d suggest you “prove it” at extended range.

Keep us posted if you kill something

Yep. My RAP is same as yours. Just changed the stock so I’m also 6.5cm w/ 22”. I do intend to do some 3 shot practice strings and chrono in the upcoming weeks but same gun same barrel length as long as they didn’t change the components it should be pretty close.

Sled

WKR
Glad I checked this one before it went in the gun. I'd hate to closed the bolt and find out how that over pressure feature on the Tikka works.

Attachments

• PXL_20211003_225547498.jpg
    PXL_20211003_225547498.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 27