Roll your own rifle

How many non gunsmith guys out there are building your own rifles? With the availability of custom actions and pre fit locknut style barrels it has become possible to build your own rifle at home without machine work. I know that you can’t replace the skill and knowledge of a good gunsmith but it seems the quality of components available for diy seem like you could at least end up with a respectable hunting rifle. I have assembled AR’s from scratch but that’s not quite the same thing. I am planning a diy hunting rifle. Planning to use a defiance action with possibly a #2 profile barrel or possibly even a proof carbon fiber to have a light and stiff barrel. Maybe a stockys carbon fiber stock. In a 7mm short mag possibly. So let’s see some built at home hunting rifles.

I have! Built off a free savage varmint action I had. This thing shoots bulk hornady really well.

Savage Varmint DBM action
CDI 24” 6.5CM 1/8” twist, light varmint(?) barrel
KRG 180-Alpha Chassis
Nightforce 20MOA rail, ultralight rings, and SHV 4-14x50 F1

902a496af0855adfa2c3d2cd757ea7ea.jpg

f7878ebfc17295a1d7cf48f34e75f553.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
SouthernShooter
I’m a savage fan. Currently the only savage in the safe is a .22. I’ve had a couple centerfire that were good shooters though.

Varminterror

Lil-Rokslider
Barrel nut style rifles are easy, but drop in shouldered pre-fit barrels are even easier.

We’re still paying a gunsmith for the threading and chambering work, but taking on the installation ourselves. Once a Smith has installed a barrel, he can cut the same tenon dimensions and chamber and thread another barrel to make drop in barrels again and again - so the Smith becomes your drop in shouldered barrel provider.

I install most of my own barrels, even some I’ve bought with short chambers and done the finish reaming by hand. Most are prefits (either smith chambered or barrel maker chambered) or nut-style barrels.

Wrench

WKR
708 does everything right. I'd just twist it up enough to spin what you want and rock on. Itll feed better and the downrange performance difference isn't much. I have a bunch of 260ai rigs and they are killer for what I do....but they require fitting in the box to feed perfectly and dies will cost you.

708 does everything right. I'd just twist it up enough to spin what you want and rock on. Itll feed better and the downrange performance difference isn't much. I have a bunch of 260ai rigs and they are killer for what I do....but they require fitting in the box to feed perfectly and dies will cost you.
I've killed a pile of whitetails with that 7-08 until I over torqued the action screws and cracked the stock. But 7mm-08 is just BORING. I want a 338 fed. Same case, should feed alright.

OP
SouthernShooter

Wrench

WKR
I love seeing machining setups. I have a round head monarch triumph lathe and a taiwan copy 9x42 bridgeport type mill. I’ve made plenty of Jeep parts a few bicycle parts and have finished some 80% products but haven’t done any real rifle work.
I have a South Bend heavy 10, Precision Matthews PM1440BV, jet mill, surface grinder, Oliver grinder, heat treat oven, and a new Hermes pantagraph. At one point I was building for $$ but Wa clamped down on everything fun and my day job paid too well to walk away from.

It's odd, I now have infinity rifles and would rather shoot my longbow.

I've killed a pile of whitetails with that 7-08 until I over torqued the action screws and cracked the stock. But 7mm-08 is just BORING. I want a 338 fed. Same case, should feed alright.
7mm-08 (my favorite all-around caliber) is boring because it does so many things so well. But I get it. Sometimes a guy just wants something different and I've been eyeballing that .338 Fed for a while myself.

I got into "building" (assembling, really) Savage rifles for a few years, hence the screen name. It was fun, and pretty easy to do. It can be addicting and you WILL end up with a pile of spare Savage parts if you start down that rabbit hole. LOL

It's a great way to learn rifle assembly and there are tons of videos out there on how to break down and reassemble a Savage rifle. Same rules apply to a lot of other products these days since so many companies have followed Savage's lead and started using a barrel nut.

Elkhntr08

WKR
This may be a stupid question. If I have a 700 action and buy a take off barrel, will it pretty much just screw in? Remington action and barrel.

Wapiti1

WKR
This may be a stupid question. If I have a 700 action and buy a take off barrel, will it pretty much just screw in? Remington action and barrel.

It will screw on, yes, but it may not headspace. The tolerances aren't close enough to allow for that. It may also not time if it has open sights, or you want the writing on the barrel in the factory location. To do it right, you need a lathe, headspace gauges, and maybe a reamer.

Jeremy

Wapiti1

WKR
1585321570587.png

How about adding square bridges that take CZ rings to a Pattern 14 Enfield action. This is on my .458 Lott.

Rear bridge is welded on, front is held with 8-40 screws.

Jeremy

Wapiti1

WKR
026.JPG044.JPG

Full stock VZ24 Mauser in .375 Ruger. I checkered it since that last photo was taken. 21" Lothar Walther barrel, 2 pos wing safety, Timney trigger, hinged bottom metal, holds 3 down.

I did this one before I got my mill and lathe. I ordered the barrel short chambered, and had a friend square up the action for me. The rest was done with hand tools, and lots of sandpaper.

Sorry, not the best photos.

Jeremy

Last edited:
OP
SouthernShooter
View attachment 165044View attachment 165045

Full stock VZ24 Mauser in .375 Ruger. I checkered it since that last photo was taken. 21" Lothar Walther barrel, 2 pos wing safety, Timney trigger, hinged bottom metal, holds 3 down.

I did this one before I got my mill and lathe. I ordered the barrel short chambered, and had a friend square up the action for me. The rest was done with hand tools, and lots of sandpaper.

Sorry, not the best photos.

Jeremy
I have some walnut slabs I sawed years ago stored in the barn to build a stock out of one day.