Rooftop tent on a trailer

So i have a rooftop tent I got with my truck. I used it for a weekend and would have loved it if it weren't for the fact that you cant really move your car while the tent is pitched. I've seen people put a rooftop tent on a trailer, seems like that'd be great. I'd weld it myself, i'd want a bigger trailer that I can tow a snowmobile or small boat with in addition to the tent. Anybody have experience with/opinions on putting a rooftop tent on a trailer? thanks. Im thinking it might make a good basecamp for elk season considering the area I hunt is covered in roads so having my car available is kinda important.

McCree

Lil-Rokslider
I was in the exact same boat a few years back. Bought a RRT for family trips and after a few journeys we determined the setup/breakdown on the truck was a pain. I picked up an old M116A2 flatbed military trailer to start with. I had a spare trifold cover for my Tundra so I decided to build a bed on the trailer to fit the cover. After that a simple square tube rack and I was set. I kept the stock 3/4 ton military axle under it but threw a set of 35" tires on there for a little extra clearance. The most expensive part of the project came when I decided to have the whole thing rhino lined. In the end it turned out great and we use it frequently. We drug it over 3k miles from Indiana out through CO last summer. the bed with cover allows us to store all or gear and it's more or less just a matter of hooking up and going when we're ready. If you want to see some pictures send me your cell # and I'll text them to you, I don't have any pics on my computer.

Mine sits on an M101A2 military trailer I bought for $350 on a govt auction. Ive replaced all the running gear on the trailer and put a new tongue on it. also added RV stabilizer jacks to the back as well. Never put the tent on the jeep any more.

Attachments

• RNSP2.jpg
    RNSP2.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 29
OP
G
Here's is pic of the trailer I have. That's a sweet looking rig

Attachments

• Trailer_pic.jpg
    Trailer_pic.jpg
    386.6 KB · Views: 14