Rooftop Tents

Does anyone have any experience with the tents you can mount to a truck topper or top of a vehicle? I was checking out the Total Archery Challenge truck this year. It seems like a great setup for weekend camping with the family and elk hunting in the fall. Looking for feedback from those that might have one or brands to stay away from. There seems to be a lot of options with not a ton of reviews. Thanks!

krohboy

WKR
I have the Ikamper mini on my truck. I absolutely love it. Camp is set up in less then a minute and packs up in the same time. I do not like the softshell tents near as much. I feel like they take too long to set up which negates a lot of the benefits of the truck tent.

9bf406afda8ea7aa50874e90dd3c2f19.jpg

Poser

WKR
These things have exploded in popularity. Every 3rd vehicle around here has one. Biggest thing out of the gate is to make sure your roof rack is rated sufficiently for the weight. 2 people + the tent can easily be 500+ lbs.

OP
B
They seem like a great concept to stay mobile. They are kind of expensive...I will agree with you on that UtahJimmy.

Poser

WKR
Out of curiosity, how useable are these tents in the winter? Could you comfortably sleep in them during 3rd rifle or in a ski area parking lot or is there too much cold airflow under them to be practical?

Also. Are you allowed to have one if you don’t also have a shovel, an awning, traction pads, and a fishing rod tube mounted on your roof rack as well?

Superdoo

WKR
Out of curiosity, how useable are these tents in the winter? Could you comfortably sleep in them during 3rd rifle or in a ski area parking lot or is there too much cold airflow under them to be practical?

Also. Are you allowed to have one if you don’t also have a shovel, an awning, traction pads, and a fishing rod tube mounted on your roof rack as well?
Don’t forget the extra fuel tanks strapped to the exterior!

*zap*

WKR
I would think that cold air would penetrate the tent less than cold ground would.....sitting on a cold rock taps my body heat more than a cold breeze blowing on my ass.

Poser

WKR
I would think that cold air would penetrate the tent less than cold ground would.....sitting on a cold rock taps my body heat more than a cold breeze blowing on my ass.

I’m thinking you would have much the same issue that hammock campers face when the temps get cold. The cold air penetrating the tent itself would be the same issue if you were in a conventional 3 season tent, though you are more exposed to the wind being elevated.

On that note, when can we expect to see rooftop hot tents become all of the rage?

75ee78c4ae6d9b7b88657757a578eb4d.jpg

I’ve had my rtt for 4 years now and have lost track of the number of nights I’ve slept in. I think Ive used it 25 times this year. I solo backpack hunt myself and use a copper spur or tarp but use the tent when I’m not packing in. It’s sets up quick by itself and I could care less if the group is Rocky or uneven. I have it set up so the trucks still fits in the garage and it’s not too heavy. I’ve had it all over Colorado and Utah in all sorts of weather and every road imaginable from April to November. I have another tent for when it’s snowing but it’s been snowed in a bit too. It’s great for the kids and for when I don’t want to set up a tent. It’s more than paid for itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sasquatch

WKR
Y’all either set out to camp and hunt with very little equipment or I set out with way too much

My pick up bed is way too full to have room for that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What advantages do these roof top jobs provide over a conventional double or single wall tent? Seems more hassle and cost than they’re worth to me?!
I'm keep thinking one would be a good fit for me for archery season.
Sure I could be a badass and throw my backpacking stuff on the ground but its rare for me to camp more then 3 nights in one spot.
And my lady hunts at least 14 days with me.
I have a full hard top canopy and want to leave all my coolers, tubs with meals etc in the Canopy.

Leave all the bedding in the roof tent.

During archery I have 21-30 days of stuff packed and I just seems like an overwhelming task drag stuff out of the truck and set it up 7+ times a season.
And it would make whats left in the canopy much less cluttered and accessible.

My biggest hangup is I pee 1 or 2 times a night.

krohboy

WKR
To answer some questions.

The advantage for me is having a highly mobile comfortable camp. In one minute I have a camp set up with a thick mattress and full bedding. I can not do that with any other sleep system I know of. And it tears down in the same time.

Blowing up a traditional sleeping pad itself takes longer then it takes me to set up my roof top tent with bedding in completion.

I rarely sleep in the same spot while mule deer and antelope hunting so mobility is huge for me. Around here truck camping makes the most sense as well.

My particular set up allows removal fairly quickly as well when not using the tent.

I also find it warmer then a ground tent. Possibly from a high r-value in the floor plus the mattress. The hard shell pointed into the wind helps as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We got one a few years back. Smittybilt xl. great for two people. Save room in the truck as bedding is stored in the tent. Agree with comments on setup. very fast. took ours down in under 1min due to lightning storm in Laramie on the way home. Saves $ on hotels. drive, pull over and sleep anywhere. Works in the cold as you can throw a nice heavy camping sleeping bag and regular pillow in it.

Superdoo

WKR
I keep looking at them and it seems like if you're not wanting to spend $5k or more, you still have all the hassles of a normal tent without the flexibility (pitch, location, small package, truck bed access, etc.) of a standard tent. The only plus is the foam mattress. The Go Fast is certainly the most intriguing to me until I read that you can't swap it to a new truck and they also don't recommend you take it off when you're not using it.

This I just left my exped inflated inside the borah bivy with the bag and pillow inside. That road in the back seat of the truck. When I found a spot to camp for the night I pitched the silex quickly, and threw the bundle inside. Done.
The whole setup weighs a few pounds and takes up previously unused space in the truck cab.