Rookie Archer Questions

philcox

WKR
Rod, Why did you decide on 62#? Just curious as I am a "new" archer as well. I ended up with a Hoyt PowerMax from Wilderness Archery in Rocklin. Still trying to get my setup dialed. I have a "mini" range, up to 55 yds. I have a 24" square target surrounded by Rice Straw bales. Best of luck this year!

OP
Rodéo

Rodéo

WKR
Rod, Why did you decide on 62#? Just curious as I am a "new" archer as well. I ended up with a Hoyt PowerMax from Wilderness Archery in Rocklin. Still trying to get my setup dialed. I have a "mini" range, up to 55 yds. I have a 24" square target surrounded by Rice Straw bales. Best of luck this year!
Hey Phil,
I wanted the bow set at 60 lbs as I tried 70 but it was getting very tiring, very quickly. I'm sure that after I practice at 60# for a few hundred shots I'll get more used to it and I may move up to 70 next season. I'm very glad I started lower though.
And I said 62# because that's what the tool that the shop used to test the draw weight said it was, who knows how accurate that device is, the true draw weight is probably 62 lbs +-5 lbs.
Best of luck to you as well!

Usi05

WKR
Love this thread! Started my own when I bought my prime 6 weeks ago and got a lot of great advice from guys here.

I also switched to a hinge a few weeks after shooting again. It allows me to anchor in a better spot on my face.

This place was super helpful for me and this thread has some solid info in it.

Got my boy on 2-14 and have shot it about every day since. Almost feels normal again after not shooting a compound for over ten years.

KEEP AT IT!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OXN939

WKR
Hey Phil,
I wanted the bow set at 60 lbs as I tried 70 but it was getting very tiring, very quickly. I'm sure that after I practice at 60# for a few hundred shots I'll get more used to it and I may move up to 70 next season. I'm very glad I started lower though.
And I said 62# because that's what the tool that the shop used to test the draw weight said it was, who knows how accurate that device is, the true draw weight is probably 62 lbs +-5 lbs.
Best of luck to you as well!

While you're solidifying fundamentals, might be worth taking a look at Victory Decimator arrows. Made specifically for Dicks, and periodically go on sale for $20 for six. Best deal out there for a solid carbon arrow. You'll want the 350s for any bow capable of drawing over 60#.

My biggest advice, echoed here earlier, would be to work your way up to a practice distance farther than you plan on shooting an animal. I practice out to 65 and feel good on deer-sized game to 50. Never a bad idea either to hang a treestand and practice from there, if that's how you plan to hunt.

philcox

WKR
So, I have to ask, what is a "hinge"? Is that a back tension release? I shot a recurve as a teenager, so it has been a long time, but only know "using fingers". Talking to a couple folks I will hunt with, I started using a trigger release at this point. I have heard a lot about the back tension releases. Being a newbie, I tried to do "Back tension" with my trigger release, that was quite comical.

So, I have to ask, what is a "hinge"? Is that a back tension release? I shot a recurve as a teenager, so it has been a long time, but only know "using fingers". Talking to a couple folks I will hunt with, I started using a trigger release at this point. I have heard a lot about the back tension releases. Being a newbie, I tried to do "Back tension" with my trigger release, that was quite comical.
Let me try and clear up a couple things. Forget that you heard "back tension". There are wrist strap, thumb trigger, tension activated, and hinge releases. I am grossly oversimplifying the categories but follow along.

No matter what release you use. You should be pulling into the back wall of the cams and strive for a surprise release or not anticipated release, just like squeezing the trigger on a rifle until it fires. This can be accomplished through all releases, some are just better than others and some are more prone to command shooting, like trigger releases.

A hinge release fires from rotating the release. The release itself acts like a "hinge".

A tension activated release like the Carter Evolution is activated by pulling a certain weight set by springs in the release. This type of release makes you pull through the shot teaching propper follow through and hopefully acheiving a surprise release.

The trigger releases are pretty self explanitory.

Focus on executing the same shot process everytime, not where the arrows are hitting at this point.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

OP
Rodéo

Rodéo

WKR
If your not already, learn to shoot with both eyes open. Makes a big difference.
I only practiced once so far, planning on going again soon. But the first time I went, I closed my left eye like I normally do with my rifles. I liked the result and it felt comfortable with one eye closed but next time I practice I'll give this a shot and see how it goes. Thanks!