Rookie - Floorless with a Stove

lugi06

FNG
Howdy,
So as the title states, I am jumping into the floorless shelter world, and with that comes several fears (unwarranted, I am sure, but for now they are there).

I am looking at getting the SO Cimarron and med stove combination and it will be for early Sept archery elk in Colorado, backpacking in. This will be my 3rd season, first actually hunting, and I will be sharing with a member of the group, so the weight with the stove is not currently an issue.

After much research, thanks to the wealth of knowledge shared on this site, I have come to terms with the fact that there is going to be some condensation, and if I am ever going to use it here in Texas I will need a nest. The only other thing that has come to mind is embers and getting holes in the shelter. I realize that the stove has spark/ember arrestors, but are there tips or tricks to not ruining the shelter because of a stupid mistake? Are there other things that I need to keep an eye out for that could help me avoid some 'hard learning' as far as condensation or something I do not even know about yet?

Thanks for any help or advise you have and is it Sept yet?

Luke

Gritty bowmen did a podcast on that topic a little while ago. Really it comes down to setting it up in the proper place. I haven't had condensation issues as long as it's not pitched over a moisture source like wet grass and there is a little vent for airflow along their bottom.

OP
L

lugi06

FNG
Thanks for the input guys.

I watched that Gritty Bowman podcast, which in-part finally pushed me over the edge to jump in. I realize that camp site selection is a huge priority to help mitigate the condensation. Any advice on using the stove? Is it as easy as getting it burned in and just setting it up? Am I just over thinking it?

I was thinking the nest would only be needed when camping in Texas, as ants and such are not welcomed guests.

Texas may be different , not many bugs up high in rockies. I would suggest getting a good burn on your stove outside your tent for your first burn to set the pipe. Then your good to go.

oldgoat

WKR
Practice putting your spark arrestor in with the pipe out before you start the fire up. Thought I had mine in good and kept seeing embers, had it off just a little. Next time I set it up, I installed it correctly and no more embers

OP
L

lugi06

FNG
Thanks for the tip oldgoat, I will do just that. I guess, like most things, I just need to get it and start getting comfortable with it.

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with watching the Gritty Bowmen Podcast. Good info there. The key is the set up. If you're worried about condensation, get as much of a cross breeze as you can (open doors, pitch it so theres a gap at the bottom, etc.). Unfortunately, this cross breeze will also result in colder shelter. Just bring a little warmer clothes or a warmer bag.

To be honest, I'm not sure you'll need the stove for archery. These past 2 years have been extremely hot. I'm pretty sure you'll spontaneously combust if you use the stove. Just kidding. It might be nice to take the chill off in the morning, but I can't imagine it'll be much use other than that and maybe drying some gear out.

Johnboy

WKR
Set your stove pipe up the first time on your living room floor. Have someone help you with it the first time. Before burn-in, the metal has no memory of the cylindrical shape, so it's much trickier. A soft, flat surface and an extra set of hands will help you get it rolled up into the pipe shape without crinkling the material. Then, carefully take it outside and install it on your stove. Start a fire, get it nice and hot, let it burn for an hour or two. After this process, the metal will "memorize" the assembled shape and be much easier to assemble next time. Accomplishing this without crinkling the pipe the first time will help prevent it from becoming dented and deformed with future use.

OP
L

lugi06

FNG
CHH - I agree 100% on the temps for archery. And you are correct, it is more the wet that we had last year, and possible condensation issues that are driving it...at least right now. Also, I am looking at getting the bundle and future proofing my set up for anything that changes in the future.

Johnboy, thanks for the advice, that is info I had not run across yet and makes perfect sense.

Get a damper for the stove and resist opening it all the way except for starting.

Pre cut some small circle pieces of tent repair tape and don't worry too much unless there's fire danger.

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
CHH - I agree 100% on the temps for archery. And you are correct, it is more the wet that we had last year, and possible condensation issues that are driving it...at least right now. Also, I am looking at getting the bundle and future proofing my set up for anything that changes in the future.

I'm all for buying for the future!!! Yes, it was wet here the last couple of years. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea, just wanted to point out some thoughts I had. I enjoy the comforts of a stove inside a tent, just usually 2nd and 3rd rifle season in a canvas wall tent. But you couldn't pay me to pack that anywhere... 10 feet from the truck/trailer is usually too far!

Good luck. Lots of good help on here!

cfdjay

WKR
Sawyer tick spray will help you with the bugs if you're concerned about that. Take a small bottle and spray the ground and perimeter. Yes it does have a smell but nothing is perfect. I used this technique for spring turkey and that spray repels all bugs not just ticks.

OP
L

lugi06

FNG
Thanks for all the advise!

I guess need to re-watch that GB episode and then just bite the bullet and hit the purchase button. Any other advice anyone can think of, I am all ears.

This site, and the people on it are great

cfdjay

WKR
f4dde6ce66c4f4801cd932ee5d9eb104.jpg

2d2dc77e66f8507315aae0ca3f318c1a.jpg

This was the morning after 4" of snow and 40-60 mph winds. Yes I'm serious. The sawtooth handled it like a champ and we stayed warm and toasty. You won't regret it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldgoat

WKR
We used our stove every night and every morning last archery season, but I hunt with my wife and that makes a little bit of a difference but not much. I probably would of used it in the morning if it was just me, makes it a whole lot easier to get out of the sleeping bag and get going. Plus it's nice crawling into an already warm sleeping bag with an already warm body!

Luke I use an 8' chimney and have never had a hot ember come down on my shelter. I miss place the spark arrester years ago and I don't have a single hole in my shelter.

0e41f59a8ffd5602c499ff4d260840ca_zpsjwusroks.jpg

I don't run a nest, but I do use a bivy. As far as condensation control I simply don't set my shelter tight to the ground ( as shown in the next photo ). By allowing the shelter to breath I've never had a condy issue

17491ff6e07cd8089ce1e6cd7bc0f044_zpsfebquyw7.jpg

OP
L

lugi06

FNG
oldgoat - That is kinda where my head is at. With my brother sharing the tent with me, we should only be packing a little over two pounds each for a heated shelter. That will work for me!

MMM - That is comforting to know about the no holes. It is my fear of the unknown/inexperienced that I am working against and having a ton of experience on this site helps my head space out quite a bit.

OP
L

lugi06

FNG
Thanks again for the help everyone, I bit the bullet and hit the purchase button. Opted to go with the SO Cimarron and the TiGoat WiFi medium stove. Now the hard part, waiting for it to show up before I can start messing with it!

Davebuech

WKR
Congratulations on your decision and purchase. I'm sure it will be a great combo.

I am yet to push the Buy button for my stove, but I think I have decided on one.....until I change my mind again!

Thanks again for the help everyone, I bit the bullet and hit the purchase button. Opted to go with the SO Cimarron and the TiGoat WiFi medium stove. Now the hard part, waiting for it to show up before I can start messing with it!