Rookie hunting guide

4. When actually hunting make sure the client knows what to do. Tell them to keep close when told...obviously let them glass and find animals but once the animal they want is found...you run the binos and range finder, they run the gun. Give clear instructions on stalks. Slow down and hunt at the hunters pace but also don't be afraid when you have to tell the client "we need to hurry to that bush or that rock to get a shot...when we get there get ready for a shot Ill find the animal and range it." That way you don't look over at a client with his binos stuck to his face with a buck broadside at 200 yards.
There is a ton of other good advice, but having the moment/mechanics of the stalk dialed is paramount. All the suffering, glitches in camp, miles of hiking, hours of glassing, or otherwise fades away if an animal is taken.
-Talk about the stalk before it happens. Discuss the situation and don't assume your client has any idea what the hell their doing.
-Have hand signals down.
-Know who is pulling the trigger first
-Know gun experience and comfortable shot range. - This could change your whole hunt plan immediately
-You can promise the opportunity to hunt, but never the harvest. Never forget that.
-And agreed, you will be a psychiatrist. If this does not fit with your personality right off the bat, get the hell out. And be honest with your outfitter if it won;t work for you, they will appreciate it much more than having someone who hates their job stay on the field. Seen it so many times.
-Don't ever expect a tip. If you earn it, you'll receive one.

Not saying its gonna be bad, and you might make some minor mistakes for a while. Just be yourself.
I still guide at least one season a year, because i just can't get it out of my blood. Nothing is better than learning country and getting someone to fulfill the dream they have been thinking about for a long time, sometimes for decades. Go kick some ass!

Rich M

WKR
Some very good comments on here.

The picture idea is gold.
Planning the whole stalk/shot process is gold.
Seeing what the client shooting abilities are is gold.

When I go on a trip, I have this thing in my head of how I want it to be. You can ask the client how he/she/they pictures the hunt. Might be a just want to shoot something and then go bird hunting or might be that they want to belly crawl across the sage. We're all wired a bit diff.

Probably lots of patience. my buddy is a guide and says it's rare if he gets a client that will get off the 4wheeler and actually glass with him. Screw that, i'd tell them to go back to the city if they don't want to actually hunt.

Besides the good advice above - learn how to take good pictures of your clients in the field and with their harvests, or during a break, or the scenery. The client will enjoy them after and you can probably use them to promote your place. I typically take my own pictures with my phone and mini-tripod but my guide last year did an outstanding job of positioning me and my buck with the light at the right angle. Those pictures will last forever and I really appreciated that tiny "extra effort" he made.

This. I would highly recommend if possible investing in a cheap used DSLR with an 18-55mm or 50mm f1.8 lens and spending a bit of down time researching some of the basic principles of photography such as the rule of thirds, lighting, camera settings etc. Lots of articles about how to get good trophy shots of deer out there. As mentioned it can go a long way to be able to provide the client with great photos not just of the animal but also photos from the hunt itself. Good way to kill time in the field while getting practice in as well!

Be positive especially if the hunter is down in the dumps.

Listen to the hunter, share your opinion on how to hunt but give him a voice in the game plan like he was your normal hunting buddy.

Brings backup snacks and water for the hunter, be the first to work, and for god sakes be ready on time in the morning (on time= early).

Marble

WKR
I guided for a lot of years on varying styles of hunts. Don't over think it.

1- work hard
2- be nice
3- listen to your hunters
4- maintain control of the hunt at all times
5- tell the truth
6- above all, put safety of you and your client first

Know that you will guide a vast range of personalities. Some people will be amazing to spend a week with. Others will be less than desirable. Treat them all with respect and know that your job is to provide them all with a quality experience.
All of these above.

I've taken mostly very inexperienced hunters on unpaid guided hunts. The things that have made it most successful is to have them practice movements or at least think about what they will need to do if certain things happen.

So for big game hunting, I would make sure they know they need a rest for rifle shooting. Have them practice whatever position they plan on getting into to shoot.

Have a check list of items required to be carried.

Have a few extra items some hunters won't think of getting.

Small personal gifts can make big headway with a good tip.

The trip isn't for your enjoyment, its for theirs.

Don't expect someone to be able to perform at the same level you do.

Whenever you leave a spot after sitting for a bit, check the area for forgotten gear.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I guided elk, deer, and goats in MT. Good advice above.

1. Get a safety briefing thought up for your clients...if your outfitter does that you can have a more strict set of rules and you can be flexible. When clients show up obviously offer to help them unload and have a quick run down of what's next. i.e. "when you guys settle in we can confirm zero on your rifles and go over some basic info for your hunt..." then give them time to do their thing. Don't worry as much about how the client shoots as you do how they handle themselves and their rifle. If I could tell a guy was squared away safety wise I was more lenient on when they could chamber a round or if I would walk directly in front of them or right next to them.

2. Do not show anything but encouragement during the hunt. I had guys with health issues, guys that were horrible shots, and general first time hunters and we always go it done. You are going to be part psychiatrist/sounding board for some guys...listen and encourage. If you can read people you will know the ones you can give a swift kick in the ass to if they need it.

3. If the hunt is going rough animal wise or client wise as far as getting shot opportunities...do not discuss it with the client. Figure options out with your boss and the other guides if there are some. Always have a plan. Also be ready for clients to ask "whats the plan" when you don't have one.

4. When actually hunting make sure the client knows what to do. Tell them to keep close when told...obviously let them glass and find animals but once the animal they want is found...you run the binos and range finder, they run the gun. Give clear instructions on stalks. Slow down and hunt at the hunters pace but also don't be afraid when you have to tell the client "we need to hurry to that bush or that rock to get a shot...when we get there get ready for a shot Ill find the animal and range it." That way you don't look over at a client with his binos stuck to his face with a buck broadside at 200 yards.

5. Have fun, be honest, and remember it is not your hunt it is theirs.

P.S. have an extra set of binos, bring extra snacks, water, sunglass, tp etc. the client will forget something and when you toss them a back up that they need it goes along ways.
This is a great run down! I guided waterfowl when I was younger and found most people care more about the experience than the trophy. Show them some things that they might never see again. Also, work on your “you just blew that opportunity,” speech. You’re going to have to talk the client back from tossing their rifle down the mountain a lot.

Deadfall

WKR
There are tons of nuances that you can only pick up with time. So just be yourself, don't take things to serious. Most importantly work harder then you ever have.
If your having a good time and exhausting yourself. So will your hunters.

Not quite the same but I guided fly fishing for 18 years and a couple things I learned along the way.
1. Work hard, be yourself - your clients will recognize that
2. Be a master at what you can control - Cant control the actual hunting success but you can control things like lunch, planing, having extra gear, 1st aide kits, repair items etc..
3. Be early
4. Make sure your clients are prepared before heading out; food, water, rain gear - have extra for them to borrow
5. Use every moment to teach and educate
6. Be positive - times will be slow and tough - keep them believing another opportunity is right around the corner - even when you know its probably not
7. You will deal with a few A**holes - but most people will be super fun to hang out with - accept that
8. Enjoy and have fun - you will have a tone of amazing experiences.

Northpark

WKR
Lots of good advice above. Only done a couple guided hunts. And only then because I wanted access to certain types of critters or private land.

The worst guides are those that seem to just want to move you through as fast as possible to get to the next client.

Have your truck ready. That means have extra gas, tire chains, tow straps, jump box, shovel, handyman jack, an ax or saw if in wooded areas. Don’t let getting stuck or a dead battery or flat tire ruin the hunt.

Button

WKR
Be positive, patience, show them a good time.
Teach them something.
Be a friend.
I’ve guided surf fishing/shark fishing trips for a large group of guys. Some were really into fishing others were there to cut loose. They had a blast. We did have to draw the line of throwing propane tanks in the fire and shooting them after one of them took off like a rocket.

Theres a lot of different personalities out there, you’ll figure out what the client expects pretty quick.

When we’ve went on guided fishing trips in Costa Rica. We did a lot of the rigging and let the deckhands fish as well. We are all accomplished fishers and don’t want to only reel up a fish. On a tuna trip we brought our kayaks to fish out of. The guide drove the boat out to the spot then cut us loose. He would toss us a live bait and off we went. Once we had the tuna up to the kayak and gaffed he would then pull them aboard the mother ship. At the end of each day when it was time to clean fish we all got in on it and got our hands dirty, I can’t have someone clean my kill.

TSAMP

WKR
Anybody else read through this and think "I never want to be a guide"?

Deadfall

WKR
Last week of the season, had a guy in cam with a 16lb. Rifle. Of which he wanted to strap it to a day pack tgen climb on a horse and ride in the dark with 4 feet or so of rifle sticking over his head.

Said it wouldn't fit in scabbard. Well we gave scabbard just for those types of rifles. He had one on his horse.

Bet me 100 bucks it wouldn't fit when I told him there's noway on gods green earth he's traveling on a horse like that.

Rifle fit in scabbard, his ego was damaged and he was a jerk whole rest of week.