Rookie Mistakes

Just picked up Savage 110 Storm in 6.5 CM from BP. Had to change gears from Tikka due to not wanting to wait 3+hours just to pick up the one I already paid for.

Rookie Mistake #1: Bought a firearm from BP. Only did this due to gift cards. I stopped doing business with them a couple of years ago for a reason.
Rookie Mistake #2: I did a quick visual inspection.

I did a quick visual inspection at BP and headed home. Unboxed everything. Ran a patch through the barrel and it was blue (i.e. copper). Unless Savage fires the firearms before shipping, then someone has used this "brand new" gun before. Did not get this on my 6.5 PRC Ultralite and its bolt was pristine.

After a couple of cuss words, I then grabbed the bolt. Holy poop. It was in bad shape. Looks like someone had used it and never cleaned it. The photo does not do it justice.

I should have done a more detailed inspection of the bolt while at the store. That alone would have made me get a refund or kept looking at other inventory until I got one that was in perfect condition.

Sent an email to Savage on what my options are as BP will do nothing.

Time to give her some TLC and keep my fingers crossed that she'll shoot.Bolt.jpegPatch.jpeg

Grumman

WKR
That sucks man. I have seen a lot of new on the rack guns at BPS/Cabelas covered with surface rust. They obviously never clean them and I have walked away from some for that reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnnyB

WKR
Get tons of ammo and shoot that thing. I have a buddy with a BPS Savage 110 that shoots lights out. He has dozens of rifles and his Savage is one of the best shooters. Fit and finish isn’t the greatest, but if you are using for hunting, who cares.

OP
A
So here's a quick update.

BP did give me 10% back in cash. They agreed that the bolt is not "new" and has more wear marks than the 5 test rounds S. They offered to ship it back to Savage to get a replacement part. Take the next part with a grain of salt and tequila chaser. The individual at BP said: "that Savage said that all bolts are "used" when shipped due to the test firing. If I ship the bolt in, they'll ship it right back".

I'll still follow up directly with Savage as I have nothing to lose.

She'll get a deep cleaning tonight and now I get to figure out what scope to get. The NF SHV is at the top of the list.

So here's a quick update.

BP did give me 10% back in cash. They agreed that the bolt is not "new" and has more wear marks than the 5 test rounds S. They offered to ship it back to Savage to get a replacement part. Take the next part with a grain of salt and tequila chaser. The individual at BP said: "that Savage said that all bolts are "used" when shipped due to the test firing. If I ship the bolt in, they'll ship it right back".

I'll still follow up directly with Savage as I have nothing to lose.

She'll get a deep cleaning tonight and now I get to figure out what scope to get. The NF SHV is at the top of the list.
You should thank whoever paid for the first half of your barrel break-in, quit worrying, and go shoot.

Personally, I'd be more concerned about the wear on that ejector pin than a little copper in the bore. But that's just coming from someone who's tore apart and built his share of Savage rifles.

Oh, and my first Savage was a model 10 .308 package that I paid full price for at BPS. It shot lights-out after about 200 rounds of barrel break in. I gave it to my brother for his 50th and it's now his favorite rifle.

_Scooter_

Lil-Rokslider
This is why I'm very hesitant to buy any firearms from any of the "big box stores" like Bass Pro, Sportsman's Warehouse, etc. All my firearms were bought from small mom & pop LGS. Not always going to get the rock bottom, best deal, but sometimes it's worth paying a little more for better customer service and knowing you're not going to get some return that they just put back on the shelf, or have to deal with some part-time employee that really doesn't know the product. Also, none of these shops apparently work on firearms so even if you buy a rifle and scope from them they won't mount it, and even if they did offer that service I don't think I'd trust them.

_Scooter_

Lil-Rokslider
Can you return firearms? I thought sales were final on firearms.

I dont think so, but was thinking along the lines of bringing something back because of a warranty issue, etc. You're probably right. My guess is if the firearm was taken back because of a defect wouldn't it just go back to the manufacturer and most likely destroyed?

rayporter

WKR
flat out wrong!

false advertising -bait and switch.

if anyone is going to foul the bore ti should be the owner and he gets to do it his way.

that bolt dont indicate a few shots it is a bunch and maybe primer leaking!!! a bore scope will be worthwhile.

it could indicate a worn throat and fire cracking. that barrel could have anywhere from a hundred to a thousand rds on it.

Beendare

WKR
So the insinuation is BP won't take it back....but you are implying that someone did just that?

I'm curious as to how it shoots. Personally I would never buy a used rifle unless I could shoot it first. The reason being I cannot imagine anyone selling a tack driver....but I can imagine someone selling an inaccurate rifle that didn't work for them.

Sure there will be exceptions...just my take.

______

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I'm sure the gun is fine. It was shot at the factory, they all are. It may have had more then 3 or 5 shots through it because it didn't shoot well and went back to be fixed instead of shipped out. you can't 4473 a firearm out of your inventory and then take it back as new. Even if it never left the store. Once the dealer puts it on a 4473 its used.

hodgeman

WKR
I've bought new rifles that looked like they'd been shot quite a lot. It didn't effect them at all.

Bottom line- a rifle is intended to last generations. Whether the rifle has had 5 or 50 or even a 100 down the pipe, it just won't make any difference in the life of the gun. Heck, most of them don't settle down and shoot right until they've had a couple of hundred down the tube.

Bass Pro is the Walmart of the hunting world...
I loathe the place. And even more, I loathe that they bought out Cabelas. I hardly shop at Cabelas now for that very reason. It was a clear "buy out the competition and run them into the ground" move by BPS, which makes me loathe them even more. I haven't spoken to a single Cabelas employee who liked the move, and I've talked to quite a few.

I dont think so, but was thinking along the lines of bringing something back because of a warranty issue, etc. You're probably right. My guess is if the firearm was taken back because of a defect wouldn't it just go back to the manufacturer and most likely destroyed?
When Smith & Wesson came out with their new chambering in a semi-automatic pistol was a 10mm, I just had to have one. It's been so long since I bought it that I've forgotten exactly what the problem is, but even before I shot the darn thing there was something the matter with it that it was not even possible to shoot the darn thing. I was going to take it back to the place I purchased it from but a work buddy told me that you can't that I'd have to send it to a Smith & Wesson certified gunsmith to get the problem fixed. I did and upon its return, it still had the original problem in addition to a new one. At that point I was not a happy camper. Returned it to the business I bout it from and made them take it back and give me my money. It was a piece of junk and I never even got to fire it. They did return my money. I went and purchased another semi-auto and it WAS NOT a Smith & Wesson!