Rookie needing advice

Flyjunky

WKR
Is 300 win ammo a lot more expensive than other calibers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is 300 win ammo a lot more expensive than other calibers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is it more expensive, yes, but not by much in most cases. With that being said, once you decide on a caliber I'd start looking for ammo, and when you find it....BUY IT! Ammo, reloading supplies, etc are hard to come by right now and I don't see it getting better for a long time.

With a $1500 budget for a starter left handed LR do all rifle my recommendation would the tikka t3x in a 300 wsm ish type caliber and use the rest on a used bushnell lrts or minox level glass.

it’s really all the rifle a guy needs but us rifle loonies will find reason for several more.

I have a mess of factory and custom rifles and my last build was along the same lines of the rifles that the OP is asking about except cost wise I spent over that budget.

It’s a custom lightweight 300 wsm with good glass and there isn’t much it can’t do in North America.

Attachments

• 23C9D5E7-4361-487A-8AC5-48BF54A695AC.jpeg
    23C9D5E7-4361-487A-8AC5-48BF54A695AC.jpeg
    389.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Matt1214

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the advice everyone, I'm following this as well. I am getting into LR soon. I am having an old 700 action custom built with a 300prc proof barrel, new trigger, extrctor, stock, etc.. Luckily I have been buying any ammo I can find and have 12 boxes stocked. I'm really excited. Bought Cleckners book and need to start reading through it.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Dialing vs. Holding: you should learn both.

A scope should both dial and hold. Don't get cds dials environmental conditions change the dope.

If I can dial, I will dial. Holding is not as precise, but for many hunting shots it can work. Factoring in the wind is what will get complicated if you don't have a tree reticle.

BDC reticles are not good. Environmental conditions will change the holds. Just get a reticle with moa or mil hashes.

A second focal plane scope is only accurate for holds at the highest power. That creates possibilities for error. A firsr focal plane will be accurate at any power.

Light hunting magnums can be a very bad choice to learn long range on. They are harder to control on recoil, and it makes a difference. Getting a 6.5 cm isn't a bad idea, it will teach you the long range skills better and your skills will limit the distances to what a 6.5 can kill. You will kill most within decent range.

And, without practice and field experience, you won't be making shots beyond 500 yards that aren't more parts luck than your skill. Wind out west in rhe mountains is no small thing.

If you are on a budget, get a SWFA variable scope. They are bombproof and have the same warranty. I bought a used SWFA with a bent turret and SWFA sent me a new one.