Rookie sheep hunter here

Hi all,
I drew a resident sheep tag in Idaho. This will mark my very first sheep hunt/adventure. I drew one of the "easier" units in 36B. Which I've never been to. I'm an analytical type, so I've already done quite a bit of research and made some great contacts.

I was hoping there would be members in the community who have done this particular sheep hunt and would be willing to share their experience with me (privately if you prefer).

Regards
Mike

Hi all,
I drew a resident sheep tag in Idaho. This will mark my very first sheep hunt/adventure. I drew one of the "easier" units in 36B. Which I've never been to. I'm an analytical type, so I've already done quite a bit of research and made some great contacts.

I was hoping there would be members in the community who have done this particular sheep hunt and would be willing to share their experience with me (privately if you prefer).

Regards
Mike

From Rookie to Rookie, welcome.
I am a Rookie Sheep Hunter in Alaska with a Resident Tag.
Good luck! Message me if you wanna bounce ideas with somebody, I’m still figuring things out as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got nothing to add except good luck. Rookie sheep hunter here as well, if the Yukon opens up. Would love to read your progress leading up to and then the full hunt details.

OP
Sleghammer
For a OIL tag like that you should join Huntin Fool. And use their member list to contact those that have done this hunt before.

Congrats on the tag. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

I heard about this on one of their Built to Hunt podcast episodes as well. Good advice.

WRO

WKR
For a OIL tag like that you should join Huntin Fool. And use their member list to contact those that have done this hunt before.

Congrats on the tag. Good luck.

Just call the Idaho chapter of wild sheep or FNAWS, it'll be much more productive than dropping 100.00 on HF.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
Sleghammer
Just call the Idaho chapter of wild sheep or FNAWS, it'll be much more productive than dropping 100.00 on HF.

Thanks for the advice. I'm a life member to IWSF and reached out to them days after drawing the tag. They were very helpful in getting me in contact with one person. That's all I could really ask for. That persons experience was 20+ years ago. I'm grateful he shared it with me and it got me my start in my research.

robie

WKR

Have the HF previous members not been helpful to you in the past? I've never used it?

I have had them recommend outfitters and have been happy their.

WRO

WKR
Have the HF previous members not been helpful to you in the past? I've never used it?

I have had them recommend outfitters and have been happy their.

Wild sheep or Fnaws, should have every tag holder for the unit in a list for the last few years, plus they should be able to get you in contact with guys who know the unit well.

And it'll be free..

Last edited:
I also drew a tag in Idaho. From the Idaho Wild Sheep Foundation I learned that the F & G head sheep biologist is Holly Miasaki.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

PONYBOY

Lil-Rokslider
Hi all,

Regards
Mike
Congrats!! Keep us all looped in. I had the opportunity to go on a hunt last year. Definitely no expert but 100% open to sharing gear lists or anything you might have questions around. Best of luck.