rope burn treatment?

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
hey cowboys....

got to camp last week and put Charlie horse on a lead rope to halter for a few minutes while I unpacked the panniers to get to the picket stake. got busy and forgot about him and he spun the lead rope around both pasterns. Not super bad, but enough that it bled a little and scabbed over. Had disinfectant ointment on it soon and cleaned and wrapped with gauze after we got home.

He's not tender to ride.

Anything else I need to do?

Thanks!

MortJ

FNG
Clean water is one of the best wound wash available. Failing that some polysporin and keeping dirt out of it. Keep it bandaged when working then let it breath when you're sure you aren't going to get dirt in it. Change bandage when it gets dirty. -Fire/Emt

jmez

WKR
Get some silvadene. Developed for human burn patients, great stuff. Pretty much anything else you put on it, including tap water, is toxic to newly forming cells.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Best advice - treat it daily with something until its fully healed, so you are forced to look at it up close every day. Any swelling around the cut or below, use the garden hose for ~20 minutes every day. Underwoods is the best product we have found to finish healing cuts and preventing proud flesh/big scars.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, thanks guys!

Not quite sure which direction to go. Good to know about the other products mentioned. I’ll check and see if our ranch store carries it.

I did go pull the bandage off after 24 hours, plus we got some rain last night so all the dust n dirt is settled, and it’s looking pretty good. I didn’t have my phone with me right I snapped a couple shots.

I don’t see any swelling or bleeding. It still looks a little fresh but I would expect that with having a bandage on it.

I’ll keep you guys posted.
Maybe tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Procision Arms

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
There’s another great topical ointment for high motion areas called chlorhexidine. It’s a little harder to find than furazone, but it’s over the counter unlike silvadene. Any of them will work at preventing infection and granulated tissue, which is the key in an area like a pastern.

hey cowboys....

got to camp last week and put Charlie horse on a lead rope to halter for a few minutes while I unpacked the panniers to get to the picket stake. got busy and forgot about him and he spun the lead rope around both pasterns. Not super bad, but enough that it bled a little and scabbed over. Had disinfectant ointment on it soon and cleaned and wrapped with gauze after we got home.

He's not tender to ride.

Anything else I need to do?

Thanks!
Hose off with cold water 5 min's or so 2-3 times a day, dry and spray with vetricyn. If bad give excede or penicillin "injectable antibiotics"

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hose off with cold water 5 min's or so 2-3 times a day, dry and spray with vetricyn. If bad give excede or penicillin "injectable antibiotics"

58303d5ddcab21589bbbdad1c3e2141e.jpg

Got him out of the big pasture this morning to get ready for the hills,. I’ve kept a eye him all week and after that initial treatment, it’s scabbed over pretty good. I took the bandage off after about 24 hours or so. He doesn’t seem sore. Swollen, or bleeding.So he’s headed to the hills

Tick

WKR
Best advice - treat it daily with something until its fully healed, so you are forced to look at it up close every day. Any swelling around the cut or below, use the garden hose for ~20 minutes every day. Underwoods is the best product we have found to finish healing cuts and preventing proud flesh/big scars.
Underwoods is good stuff and easy. I've seen it heal some horrific wounds.

HKM

FNG
Not sure if most people will agree but in a pinch in the back country bacon grease works . if at home furozne works great . you need to wash it with water and keep the scabs removed. If you use him removing the scabs and applying fusion prior to riding he will perform better.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks everybody for your input. And bacon grease! He’s doing fine now.