Ropeman 1 vs Prusik knot for linesman’s belt

I am no expert but from what I’ve been researching the ropeman 1 is an ascender but not a fall arrest system so if you fall, the teeth in the ropeman 1 will bite into the climbing rope causing it to “de-glove” the climbing rope and likely snap the line. The prusik knot will not do either which makes it the safer option and why people are attempting to recreate a safer and cheaper alternative. Again I have no idea if it’s true and I really wish it wasn’t since I just bought the ropeman 1 and had made my own linesman’s belt before seeing this video. Having to reconsider my plan lol

Didn’t know if anyone has any expertise or knowledge on the ropeman 1 and if it would work for the intended purpose of a linesman’s belt or if It would be a safety hazard in the event of a fall while climbing tree.
24ed43e3a3808558c63e2138a8745dde.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
Yes, it slides one way better because it has less wraps on one side. It will still hold if done correctly. The type of sheath the cord you use has will also make a prussik easier to move and also may make it take a little longer to bite. I would stick with proven climbing cord/rope and the methods climbers use. If your just going up/down a petzl ascension may be a good choice but that is not good for working while hanging.

I've not had any issues with my ropeman1 and like it significantly more than a prusik. Granted, I've never fallen with my linesmen belt (kinda the point), but have leaned into it (from slack to supporting my full body weight of 210 ish) hundreds of times without issue.

Go test if for yourself at ground level, but for a linesmen belt, I wouldn't sweat it!

OP
C
I've not had any issues with my ropeman1 and like it significantly more than a prusik. Granted, I've never fallen with my linesmen belt (kinda the point), but have leaned into it (from slack to supporting my full body weight of 210 ish) hundreds of times without issue.

Go test if for yourself at ground level, but for a linesmen belt, I wouldn't sweat it!

Nice. You’re giving me some hope that I’ll be able to keep it without having to worry about it being a safety hazard

If you are using a decent kernmantle rope in good condition,I would have ZERO worries about the rope “degloving” or breaking. The 1/2” stuff we use on the technical rescue team is rated for like 10,000 lbs…the 8mm is like 4500….. 6mm something like 2800..basically,not gonna break on a single person load unless it gets cut or burned. I’d go with the prusik. It WILL grab , unless you mind it somehow…and there will be some shock absorption built in at least. Just remember to use a smaller diameter rope for the prusik then the size of the static line… 1/2” rope and 8mm prusik, or 8mm static and 6 mm prusik, for example. And for this application, I’d just do 3 wraps, but 2 or asymmetrical wouldn’t be wrong. Really,it’d make no difference here.
I’d go with 8mm static, 6mm prusik to minimize weight and bulk. Would be plenty strong.
the rope man is not intended for what you’re using it for….but I think it’d work fine, same idea as some ascenders we use

Last edited:

LostArra

WKR
I am no expert but from what I’ve been researching the ropeman 1 is an ascender but not a fall arrest system so if you fall, the teeth in the ropeman 1 will bite into the climbing rope causing it to “de-glove” the climbing rope and likely snap the line. The prusik knot will not do either which makes it the safer option and why people are attempting to recreate a safer and cheaper alternative. Again I have no idea if it’s true and I really wish it wasn’t since I just bought the ropeman 1 and had made my own linesman’s belt before seeing this video. Having to reconsider my plan lol

Didn’t know if anyone has any expertise or knowledge on the ropeman 1 and if it would work for the intended purpose of a linesman’s belt or if It would be a safety hazard in the event of a fall while climbing tree.
24ed43e3a3808558c63e2138a8745dde.jpg

Are you using this to set up a treestand or are you getting into Search and Rescue or arborist work? For treestands what you have is great. I would add a paracord "handle" to the Ropeman for easier adjustment.

TexaninSconny

Lil-Rokslider
Ropeman is way more functional, and far less likely to be an issue with a Lineman’s rope….depending on what you are climbing with. Is this saddle hunting or something else?

N2TRKYS

WKR
I’ve used both and prefer the ropeman over the prusik for my lineman belt. The ropeman is one hand adjustable vs the two hands to adjust the prusik. There’s zero issues from using a mechanical device versus a soft rope grab.

fatlander

WKR

One handed prussic operation is what you’re after? A prussic tender is your friend. You can tie your own with 550 cord since it’s non load bearing.

OP
C
Are you using this to set up a treestand or are you getting into Search and Rescue or arborist work? For treestands what you have is great. I would add a paracord "handle" to the Ropeman for easier adjustment.

Using it to setup a tree stand

OP
C
Ropeman is way more functional, and far less likely to be an issue with a Lineman’s rope….depending on what you are climbing with. Is this saddle hunting or something else?

Setting up tree stands as I’m going to try and be more mobile this year

OP
C
I’ve used both and prefer the ropeman over the prusik for my lineman belt. The ropeman is one hand adjustable vs the two hands to adjust the prusik. There’s zero issues from using a mechanical device versus a soft rope grab.

I would 100 percent prefer the ropeman over the prusik knot just didn’t know if It was safe to use

OP
C

One handed prussic operation is what you’re after? A prussic tender is your friend. You can tie your own with 550 cord since it’s non load bearing.

Yea I was looking at returning the ropeman and putting together one like that but didn’t know if it was as slick as it looks in the videos