Ropeman 1 vs Prusik knot for linesman’s belt

fatlander

WKR
Yea I was looking at returning the ropeman and putting together one like that but didn’t know if it was as slick as it looks in the videos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tie a piece of para cord in a small loop and see for yourself. My rope man just collects dust now that I found the prussic tender.

LostArra

WKR
The key with any of these options is to practice with it before setting up your stand especially in the dark.
I've got a practice tree in the woods behind the house that I've set up hang-on stands, sticks, rapid rails and used a climbing stand. The more you practice, the more confidence you have. Don't worry about speed. Be safe.

TexaninSconny

Lil-Rokslider
Setting up tree stands as I’m going to try and be more mobile this year

Check out saddle hunting if you want to be in trees some. Comfort is similar, but offers you way more flexibility. PM me if you have interest…I can pass on any info I’ve learned.

Rick653

FNG
I feel like you would have to be using some really low quality rope for it to deglove. Even if it did, the safety knot would stop the fall

OP
C
Check out saddle hunting if you want to be in trees some. Comfort is similar, but offers you way more flexibility. PM me if you have interest…I can pass on any info I’ve learned.

It is definitely a method that I’m interested in just haven’t taken the step towards investing in it yet

Aces11

Lil-Rokslider
I am in the Ropeman 1 for my lineman’s belt and Prusik for safety line. Been using it for a few years, and no complaints.

Studd muffin

Lil-Rokslider
I would stick with the ropeman for the lineman's rope. In the event you slip and fall you shouldn't have that much slack in the rope to cause a large impact load on the ropeman. As compared to a safety rope, you slip and fall and you get the large impact load. But like someone said above, make sure you have a good quality and correctly sized rope for the ropeman, too small and it won't work either.

I have had a rope man for several years hanging lock-ons for deer hunting and have never had any issues, far easier to use than a prusik knot, knock on wood I have never fallen so I’m not sure what it will do there but no issues with it supporting my weight leaning back into it

Dwight2180

Lil-Rokslider
It is definitely a method that I’m interested in just haven’t taken the step towards investing in it yet

Investing in saddle hunting is a good way to look at it....ain't none of it cheap! As others have said, you don't get the same shock load with a lineman's as you would with a safety line. I use a ropeman on a linesman with 8mm rope....out of spec *gasp*. I tested it on the ground and couldn't get it to slip and didn't abraid my rope. No issues here.

yakattak

FNG
I use prussiks a lot at work. I am going to utilize one on the saddle system I just purchased as well. With a little breaking in they will slide just fine. A downside though is as they wear out you will find yourself creeping a bit down the line.

Bloodsoakedberber

Lil-Rokslider
I used a ropeman for two years but switched to a schwabisch hitch and a tender last year. Works just as well for one handed operation so I sold the ropemans I had. The tender is light, simple and really works.

Tartan

WKR
I used a ropeman for two years but switched to a schwabisch hitch and a tender last year. Works just as well for one handed operation so I sold the ropemans I had. The tender is light, simple and really works.
💯 this. best of both worlds. Easy one handed use, light, and quiet. In fact, lengthening the linesman’s with a asymmetric hitch is easier than doing so with a ropeman. Shortening it is the exact same.

I don’t personally have any fear of using the ropeman and did for years. If I actually fell on either they would be getting replaced anyways.

I prefer the distel over the schwabisch as I think it is easier to keep dressed.

WRM

WKR
Safe....a loaded question. That Ropeman (as compared to the spike toothed version) is highly unlikely to cause your rope to break, particularly in lineman's configuration. I'd be far more concerned about inadvertent snagging that allowed slack in the system and thus a fall. SO, is it "safe"? I dunno, but it is a risk.

I use an ART positioner which is truly one handed and in both directions and UNDER LOAD. That is safe (as safe as it gets anyway). But, I have other reasons to own that hardware.

Light and cheap is good....until it's not or knot.

wilkINkc

Lil-Rokslider
My personal opinion, take it for what it is, the ropeman is a lot easier to work with in a lineman's belt. I had sticks kick out from under me once or twice last year and it held up fine. For ME, it's operation is easier 1 handed.

2tall

FNG
A lineman belt is fall protection, not fall arrest I believe. You are never really meant to take a fall with a lineman belt, it's meant to prevent you from falling in the first place. Static lines in general are not meant to take a fall. A 3' fall from a static line is going to hurt versus a dynamic line like what rock climbers use that is meant to absorb the shock.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Lowg08

WKR
Technically a lineman belt is for positioning for work at elevation. It is meant to achieve two things. Be able to use two hands and limit a fall not prevent. I have much bulkier, heavier duty ones. I will be changing to a prussik like zap posted with a tender. For weight and quiet. My tether and lineman belt weigh 4 pounds

Attachments

• A5AABDAE-617C-41D7-8CDF-C53374886F7A.jpeg
    A5AABDAE-617C-41D7-8CDF-C53374886F7A.jpeg
    430.6 KB · Views: 30

Doofy_13

FNG
I think the ropeman is the way to go. Super easy to use and if used correctly should be fine for a linemans.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk