RosinBag's Arizona Semi Live Mule Deer Hunt

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
The title doesn't tell it all, my deer tag can be used for a coues deer also, I will have a Javelina tag, taking my calls and will predator hunt when I have time for bobcats, foxes and coyotes and last but not least I am always on the hunt for a coati. So I have plenty of critters to try and knock down.

I have hunted Arizona about 10 years now, but only the last three with the archery gear and this OTC tag. Three years ago I met up with Ed F and we camped outside a local town about 35 minutes and it put us in one of the areas we hunted. We also had an area about an hour and some change away to hunt. Camping in one area and hunting another, we burned up some time driving back and forth.

The year after that we stayed in town at a motel and cut our travel times in half and seemed to work better. We also branched off into some other areas out of town and learned some new country.

So this year, I am solo as Ed F has a Mountain Lion tag that is taking up some of his time. I enjoy hunting with Ed F as he is a straight killer and I learn something every time I hunt with him. Hopefully he kills a monster on his trip and if he has time he knows where I will be and knows he is welcome to join me.

This type of hunting is certainly not what I am accustomed to by any stretch. I will be staying in a hotel almost every night, with the chance of bivying out as needed if I go after coues deer. It is also not a wilderness hunt, but roads all over the place. With all the roads, I am taking a ATV to do all my hard driving. I have done it in my FJ, but it takes a beating. We have found many areas that routinely hold deer over the years, so I drive out to those areas, glass for hours and move on. The deer hunting itself is the same, find them, put them to bed and sneak in and arrow one, although the ambush method works well also as the bucks are usually surrounded by several does.

I can't leave until Sunday the 6th and will hit the road at about 4am. I plan on driving to Tucson, which is about 13 hours plus the one hour time change, so I should get there around 6pm. I will stay there and on Monday morning drive over to Game and Fish and buy my license and tags. You can get the license and deer tags at lots of stores, but the Javelina tag has to be purchased at a G&F office. Once I have the license and tags I will finish up my drive and get settled into my home away from home. I will then get some supplies and head out to one of our spots to hunt and be hunting in the afternoon of Monday the 7th.

I have to be back at work no later than the 17th, so I have to pull out of Arizona no later than early on the 16th and drive straight through. Everything looks good for the trip, good weather forecasted and the moon is in a great cycle for the days I will be hunting.

After seeing Jimmy's AZ Hunt with the pictures of bucks chasing does and DRhorsepower getting his info about the rut, it looks like the rut is going as planned. Good luck to both of them also as they are there hunting right now.

I am going to skip any gear posting as most have seen what I use in one thread or another already and I am not back pack hunting in the slightest on this trip.

I will say the Kifaru Duplex Timberline 2 will be with me, along with my Swarovski's doing their work to find me some animals.

I am also going to try and post as much as possible, but I am not going to let it interfere with my hunt either. That being said, hopefully Robby doesn't banish me from the Live Hunt Thread.

Stay tuned.....

SDHNTR

WKR
I could have done without the Ed F bromance elaboration, but good luck Doug. I'll be just to the north of you a bit if you need a hand or if you get lonely and want to share a camp. (Jan 9-15) Give a ring.

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
No bromance, but much respect...same to you on the offer for help, don't hesitate to call.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Cool beans Doug.

The only hunts I move to the species thread are those that don't update every 24 hours. Doesn't sound like that will be a problem with you? I can tell you this, Live hunts do interupt the hunt.

Good luck, can't wait to see what you turn up.

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Finished my last work shift last night and was home by about 3:30am. Started shooting 3d animals this morning at 8:30am. Last warm up before hitting the road.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Getting closer Doug! Wish I could be outside shooting (it was -7 this morning).

I can say this about doing a Live hunt while solo- it keeps your spirits up! Seriously, I think you'll hunt harder with it. The upside is better than the downside.

I've never been to the part of the country you're driving through, so pics please???

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I will take lots of pics Robby...It was 30 degrees out when I started shooting this morning, which is close to what Arizona will be. All I have left is to fill up with gas and a few honey dews, then departure at 4am tomorrow.

Last target of the day at 71 yards.....

photo_zpsc44fa7e0.jpg