Rotating Collar

For those with angled spotting scopes, how often do you use your rotating collar? When do you seem to use it the most?

I’m looking hard at the Kowa 883, but it doesn’t appear to have a rotating collar (please correct me if I’m wrong as I haven’t ever actually used one). Trying to decide if this is a deal breaker or not for me.

Any insight and thoughts are appreciated.

Matt G.

WKR
The kowa 883 has rotating collar... i always used mine. My angle scope was seldom upright.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I also like mine rotated slightly to the side, just a more natural viewing position for me.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
For those with angled spotting scopes, how often do you use your rotating collar? When do you seem to use it the most?

I’m looking hard at the Kowa 883, but it doesn’t appear to have a rotating collar (please correct me if I’m wrong as I haven’t ever actually used one). Trying to decide if this is a deal breaker or not for me.

Any insight and thoughts are appreciated.

I have an angled spotter and rotate the scope all the time. I wouldn’t even consider an angled spotter that doesn’t have a rotating collar.

Firstly, rotation is integral to how I use my tripod, ball head and spotter together. 90-degrees is the default.
4d631749722df0a22ab838f6a4b97640.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
passinggas33
I’m glad to hear the 883 has a rotating collar. I just can never reply ever find a ton of info on that spotter. I wish Kowa did a better job with marketing and really let people see how great of a product they have. I have their little 553 and because I like it so much I want to get the biggest brother. It looks like some of those that have a rotating collar use it a fair amount, and others don’t. But to me I would see it as a necessity, specifically on big optics.

MWK3800

FNG
I rotate mine frequently, mostly when used on a vehicle window mount or at the range. I too wouldn't buy an angled without a rotating collar.

TravisIN

WKR
Rarely is mine straight up and down. Love the flexibility you have with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
I rotate most of the time to get it either comfy on the tripod, or to use it off a window mount in the truck.

Jeremy

I use the rotating collar all the time on my angled Swaro whether out the truck window or sitting down against a boulder glassing. I've used it as a periscope to look out from the side of a boulder to observe Stone rams to see if there was a legal one in the group. They were maybe 150 yards away and if you are moving your head behind the scope in view of rams you run the risk of being spotted.

Lack of a rotating collar has kept me from looking at the 55mm Kowa as I would miss it.

Jardo

WKR
The 883 definitely has a rotating collar. I use mine at the range and on a window mount.

I do prefer a straight lens for the window mount but I make the 883 work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk