Rough Country/Mule Deer Antlers

D

david long

I was looking through all of my older photos the other day when I came across the photos of this particular 190 gross B&C buck. I have two great memories of this buck: 1) This buck lived in some of the most vertical terrain I have ever hunted and he rolled a looooong ways! Amazingly, he only busted 1/2 inch off one of his small extra points. 2) I actually filmed myself shooting this buck with a rifle.....it was on one of my Magnum Mulies videos. I can tell you this, it was no easy task being the hunter and cameraman! Good times though!

It always amazes me how far these guys can roll after the kill and how well the antlers hold up during these falls. Although I have lost a few inches of cheater points on a couple of my bucks, I have been very fortunate that none of the main tines have ever been busted off during their free falls down the mountain.

How about you guys, have you ever had any of your mulies bust their antlers during their free-fall down the mountain?
rough1.jpg
rough2.jpg
rough3.jpg

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, lost a main beam past the g4 and two other points on a non-typical once. Never did find them, either. Also this past years deer lost a four inch cheater (as can be seen in the video), but we found it, and it will be good as new.

OP
D

david long

BB......after watching your video, it kind of inspired me to start this thread......sure is a crappy feeling watching your buck roll & roll & roll & roll.....

any photos of your nontyp that lost the main beam?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
any photos of your nontyp that lost the main beam?

Well David, that is a little different story. I have great pictures of him fully intact. He is in my avatar and in the mule deer collection thread. He never got out his bed at the shot. It was after I had him caped, boned, and in the pack that I had the "incident." I'm really lucky I still have all my pieces, actually. I'll see if I can find a post-fall pic of him though.

OP
B

bearguide

how did you film that/ tripod/ camera / we busted off both horns on a goat last year

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I've been lucky not to bust any antlers. However, this buck slid down a snowy avalanch chute making for the most nasty packout I've ever had. Shot him at 11 am, got him loaded on the horses at 11 pm. If he would have died where I shot him first, I could've ridden the horses right to him!!!!

Dave, your 190 buck was the first one I'd ever seen filmed by the shooter! Great job and thanks for taking the time to make that happen. It's very nerve racking to be operating a camera when it's time to shoot!

Attachments

• ID 2008 public land buck hi-res 001.jpg
    ID 2008 public land buck hi-res 001.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 57

Big Sky

Lil-Rokslider
This guy broke off about 5" on his left side. Luckly it was stilll attached by the velvet.
DSCN0290.jpg

Foldem

WKR
This guy rolled end over end down about 300' of scree field in 2008. I was shocked that he wasn't more broken up when I got to him. You can see the gouges in his beam and he broke the tip of one of his G2's off. Unfortunately, I never used to carry a camera in the field, so I don't have any field pics.

IMG_0489.jpg

IMG_0490.jpg

IMG_0491.jpg

BuckSnort

WKR
Nice pictures and stories fella's..

David, Is that the hunt when the dead tree almost fell on your tent in the night?

OP
D

david long

Nice pictures and stories fella's..

David, Is that the hunt when the dead tree almost fell on your tent in the night?
Nope, different hunt......and it was a LIVE tree! Snapped it right in half. I was gonna post up the photo but I couldn't find it. If I come across it I will post it up.