Round Steaks

RCB

WKR
By "round steak", do folks here mean a cross-sectional cut of the entire round (i.e. hind leg quarter), which includes a bone fragment in the middle and many muscle groups connected by tendons and silverskin? If so that always seemed like an awkward way to eat em.

For the last elk and deer I butchered, I separated out the major groups of the round (bottom round, top round, sirloin tip, eye of round). Cut some steaks out of them, as well as some burger, roasts, stew meat, etc. Some of the steaks were on the tough side but overall I'd say they were tasty.

By "round steak", do folks here mean a cross-sectional cut of the entire round (i.e. hind leg quarter), which includes a bone fragment in the middle and many muscle groups connected by tendons and silverskin? If so that always seemed like an awkward way to eat em.

For the last elk and deer I butchered, I separated out the major groups of the round (bottom round, top round, sirloin tip, eye of round). Cut some steaks out of them, as well as some burger, roasts, stew meat, etc. Some of the steaks were on the tough side but overall I'd say they were tasty.

I don't believe people are referring to a cut of the entire hind quarter because this would include both the round and sirloin. The sirloin is the football-shaped muscle that would be the quad on a human. This muscle tends to be more tender and make better steak than round. The round is opposite the sirloin, in the hamstring area. It tends to be tougher.

Gen273

WKR
The way that I really like round steak is to first run it through a grinder.

Most butcher chops run round steaks through a tenderizer 10 times and use it for cube steak. It is a pretty tough piece of meat. Always cut it against the grain. I'm with most jerky or burger if it came from wild game. You could use it as cube steak from a moose but would personally I think you need to marinate or season well.

Broles32

FNG
Best way I’ve found to eat round steaks is to beat the hell out of them and fry. Every other way I’ve tried turn out horrible, always to tough to eat

LostArra

WKR
The round steak problem is the reason chicken fried steaks were invented. And you can still marinade them.
A Jaccard works ok but a cuber is better.

Disclaimer: I've never shot a moose but I can't believe chicken fried moose steaks wouldn't be great.

Last edited:
OP
Short Track
I tried leaving round steaks in the fridge for 1 week, soaking in Olive oil. It was edible. But I wouldn't be proud of serving it to a guest. It would add to the wild game is gamey theory. Maybe I'll try 2 weeks in the fridge next time. Sure have plenty of round steaks left.

OP
Short Track
I was so frustrated with round steaks... I took them all over to a local processor. He turned them into various different sausages. Breakfast, hot, Italian, and whatever else. I gave him free rein to be creative, as I was going to give moose steaks to the dog !