Rounding MOA

JFK

WKR
Do many of you round to the nearest MOA on your dope cards? I am new to dialing and set my card up this way in 25 yard increments with everything rounded to
The nearest quarter MOA. This results in some solutions being adjusted up or down. In my mind it’s just one less thing to think about while hunting. Are there any issues in doing this?

An example. Actual solution is 6.4 MOA. I would put 6.5 MOA on card as that’s closest. Similarly if actual solution was 7.35, I would put 7.25 on the card.

Distances are not truly long range. 300-600 is what I’m shooting mostly.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Do many of you round to the nearest MOA on your dope cards? I am new to dialing and set my card up this way in 25 yard increments with everything rounded to
The nearest quarter MOA. This results in some solutions being adjusted up or down. In my mind it’s just one less thing to think about while hunting. Are there any issues in doing this?

An example. Actual solution is 6.4 MOA. I would put 6.5 MOA on card as that’s closest. Similarly if actual solution was 7.35, I would put 7.25 on the card.

Distances are not truly long range. 300-600 is what I’m shooting mostly.

How does someone dial 7.35 MOA with .25 MOA clicks?

Antares

WKR
I round to one decimal place on my card (e.g., 4.4), but I don’t round to the nearest click value. Your range is likely going to fall between two values on your card and you’re going to have to choose something between them, that’s where I round to something I can dial.

OP
J

JFK

WKR
How does someone dial 7.35 MOA with .25 MOA clicks?

They don’t. They round when dialing. I guess my question was whether or not it’s common practice for people to round on their printed dope cards. Is there information gained, or an advantage by having the exact solution, versus the simplicity of pre-rounded numbers that fit neatly into .25 MOA at 25 yard increments.

But thinking about it now, it probably leads to rounding twice and increasing error.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
They don’t. They round when dialing. I guess my question was whether or not it’s common practice for people to round on their printed dope cards. Is there information gained, or an advantage by having the exact solution, versus the simplicity of pre-rounded numbers that fit neatly into .25 MOA at 25 yard increments.

But thinking about it now, it probably leads to rounding twice and increasing error.

Not really. There’s not much point in having something on a card that can’t be input into the system. All it does is add one more process to complete while potentially under stress.

This is also a good example of of where mils works better as well.

OP
J

JFK

WKR
Not really. There’s not much point in having something on a card that can’t be input into the system. All it does is add one more process to complete while potentially under stress.

This is also a good example of of where mils works better as well.
So you think rounding on your card is a good idea?

I set my rifle up with a 200 yard zero. No dialing till 250 yards with solutions in 25 yard increments to 600 yards. This system fall apart after 600 yards as bullet drop accelerates, but I don’t plan on taking shots at game beyond 600 yards.

So basically I range an animal, reference card to closest 25 yard interval and have a solution that fits into .25 MOA turret without further thinking. The option still exists to add or subtract clicks on your dial if a ranged target straddles a 25 yard increment.

The rounding doesn’t seem to result in meaningful differences in POI at the range. Fast and easy. But again, I don’t hear many guys doing it this way, so wanted some critique, any downside, etc.

Take it further, get a speed dial turret to match the middle of your hunting elevations and hunting season average daily temp. No range card needed. Eliminate that step converting distance to moa, have distance already on your turret. Range, dial to range, hold into wind and fill your freezer.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

I set my rifle up with a 200 yard zero. No dialing till 250 yards with solutions in 25 yard increments to 600 yards. This system fall apart after 600 yards as bullet drop accelerates, but I don’t plan on taking shots at game beyond 600 yards.

So basically I range an animal, reference card to closest 25 yard interval and have a solution that fits into .25 MOA turret without further thinking. The option still exists to add or subtract clicks on your dial if a ranged target straddles a 25 yard increment.

If you’re asking if a target is 513 yards, would I just use the data from 525 yards for the shot? No, extrapolate what the difference is between the data for 500 and the data for 525 yards.

LaHunter

WKR

The rounding doesn’t seem to result in meaningful differences in POI at the range. Fast and easy. But again, I don’t hear many guys doing it this way, so wanted some critique, any downside, etc.
Assuming your scope adjusts in .25 moa / click, then this is the only way that I can think of, for a pre-made 'dope card'. At distance, especially in field conditions, you / we can't shoot with enough precision to know the difference in .25 moa most likely.

Remember, there are limitations to pre-made generic dope cards, like shot angle, environmental data, and wind.

josef

FNG
It’s not gonna make much difference. Either you or the gun likely isn’t 0.25 moa accurate. If you were you could dial to the next closest and hood for the difference but again it doesn’t really make a difference in this instance.

Also mils are coarser than MOA unless you have a scope with .05 mils so I am not sure how they are better for dope in between adjustment increments.

Reality is if you’re making a paper dope card you’re likely going to be off more in the estimated environmental inputs than your adjustment increments.