Rowing

patty59

FNG
I've always just either rode the bike or ran on the treadmill for my cardio at the gym. But I have recently started using the C2 since it's never in use and I figured out why right away lol. Wow, what a workout, I started with doing 2000m rows to get used to it and am doing 5000m with varied intervals throughout, 500 easy 500 hard 500 easy 1000 hard and so on. Anyways, just wondering what everyone else is doing on the C2? What types of workouts are you doing? I am thinking about mixing in a couple 10000m rows per week.

I've only been on the C2 about a month, but I'm finding that I'm spending less time on the weights.

jmez

WKR
We spend a lot of time on the C2 with Crossfit. Mix it in with various other exercises.

Last friday we ran a mile, row 2K, ran a mile. 5K is as far/long as I've ever rowed. One of the worst experiences I've had on the C2 was 200m row 10 rounds, rest 1 min between. Try to maintain a consistent time every round all the way through.

If you'll go to the concept website and do some perusing around you will find the rowing wod of the day and its a really good program to follow. and like most programs they have different levels to follow. congrats on your found friend at the gym.

Poser

WKR
One thing that really helps is learn how to use the computer. You can program your own workouts, either single distances, intervals or time based. One thing that always amazes me is how fast power output goes down hill when rowing. Spend some time monitoring your wattage output. As I understand it, you should ideally being hitting 2x your bodyweight in wattage (something that I can't seem to maintain for very long).

Here are a couple of interval based workouts that I like:

500m Row at 2 min Split
rest 2 min
500m row at 1:58 Split
rest 2 min
500m row at 1:56 split
rest to min
and so on until you can't keep pace

---
15 rounds
30 seconds row at >1:50 split
90 seconds "rest" during which 20 pushups or 20 lunges must be performed

---
"Tailpipe"
-row 250m
-hold 2 53lb KB's racked beneath your chin while partner rows 250m
3 Rounds

(can do this without a partner doing 1:1 KB holds based on your 250m times)

Ironman8

WKR
I've just started rowing also. Definitely a tough workout and is usually my go to for warming up before a workout due to the total body aspect. But I've been wondering what are good 500m/1k/3k/5k/10k times? Not talking about world records here, but something that would be competitive and a good number to shoot for...

Poser

WKR
I've just started rowing also. Definitely a tough workout and is usually my go to for warming up before a workout due to the total body aspect. But I've been wondering what are good 500m/1k/3k/5k/10k times? Not talking about world records here, but something that would be competitive and a good number to shoot for...

Supposedly, a 2k meter row in 7 minutes is a "respectable" time. That being said, I feel like I'm in pretty decent shape and am a ok (just "ok") rower (as in I don't suck at it) and I have yet to hit a 7 minute 2k. -best time is like 7:30. When you get into 5 to 10k distances, I have yet to be able to to make myself stay on the rower long enough to find out :p I know that competitive guys hit the 2k in ~5 minutes or better times, if that give you a frame of reference.

bradb

WKR
I got on my c2 last night for the first time in like a month. Did 7000 in 30 min. Probably didn't have much more in me. I have done a half marathon on it before....dumb! I am only 5'7" so do lack the length of power stroke, hell I lack power in my rowing and can often hold a 2:07 pace for 10000 and can not do a whole lot better in a 2000. Yes the numbers competitive people throw down are sick. My cousin rowed in college and I just laugh when I here his pace at different distances. I need to really get on the c2 in mornings between now and AZ elk as I know how much it helps. Often see here at work a gold medalist for the USA in rowing come in, she went on to coach Texas women crew and again this year won here age class world champion at the crash races..........still a very good pace at like 65

Take-a-knee

Banned
Rowing is one of the best low impact workouts.

It's low impact but if don't warmup thoroughly you can give yourself a killer case of tendonitis from all the muscles that originate on the pelvic rim. Mine took about 8wk and a bunch of chiro visits to fix. All from one 500m sprint.

MP.hunter

FNG
I rowed in college, very difficult but effective workout as it works multiple muscle groups and works on cardio. We would train for 6k events and 2k events which are sprint races. We would train upwards of 80 minutes at a time, holding under a 2:00 minute splits. Longer, steady workout are very effective, work in simple 5k rows around a 2:00 split.

Ironman8

WKR
Wanted to post back in here after playing more with the rower and paying attention to splits/times. Something interesting is that I found my splits would be better when I "powerstroked" and eased back into position (lower stroks per minute) for the next pull as opposed to rowing in smooth continuous pulls with a higher stroke per minute. Haven't decided which one smokes me the most yet lol. I also lack the length of powerstroke being that I'm 5'8.

Some numbers I've come up with over the last week or so...
500m @ 1:46 (I think I can do better than this but not much...for now)
1,000m @ 3:38 (playing around with s/m...best 1k time I've pulled so far)
2k @ 8:38 (holding a 2:10 split...this felt pretty easy and I could have held this for a while)

jmez

WKR
500m 1:32
1000m 3:27
2000m 7:28
5000m 19:08

Those are my times from workouts. I think I could shave some time from them if that were all I was doing and going strictly for time at that distance.

Trr15

WKR

Those are my times from workouts. I think I could shave some time from them if that were all I was doing and going strictly for time at that distance.

Jmez - those are some pretty darn impressive times. I just bought a c2 about a month ago and will definitely need to work for a while to get to where you're at. I'm still amazed at how much of an asskicker rowing actually is.

jmez

WKR
Huge difference between 1:32 and 1:15 in a 500m row.

We did 250m in our warmup today, I pulled it in 43 seconds. The pace read 1:27/500m split, and there is no way in hell I could have maintained that for another 250m.

jmez

WKR
Thanks. A lot of pure power involved in the C2, especially at the shorter distances. Power is my wheelhouse.

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider

Those are really good times!

After reading this thread, I wanted to play!

I hopped on the rower (First time in ~ 2 years) and did 5K. Managed 21:58 and I was pleased. (Just under 2:12 split avg) I am sure I could shave a little time, but I knew I was using muscles that I haven't stimulated in a LONG time. I won't be rowing after any elk, so I am not worried!

It is weird. I avg 30-40 MPW running. But if I get on the rower, I have issues with p!ssing off my knee. (IE The reason I have steered away from rower recently).

Poser

WKR
Those are really good times!

After reading this thread, I wanted to play!

I hopped on the rower (First time in ~ 2 years) and did 5K. Managed 21:58 and I was pleased. (Just under 2:12 split avg) I am sure I could shave a little time, but I knew I was using muscles that I haven't stimulated in a LONG time. I won't be rowing after any elk, so I am not worried!

It is weird. I avg 30-40 MPW running. But if I get on the rower, I have issues with p!ssing off my knee. (IE The reason I have steered away from rower recently).

I would check and make sure your knee (or knees) aren't collapsing inwards as you push. Its hard to imagine a push off would hurt your knee on a rower, but not in any other situation.