RRS BH-40 or anvil?

OP
7718Sallee
I think it is mostly preference once you get to the quality ball head vs Anvil 30.

The differences are really minimal. But the one thing I like is the feel of the inverted ball head and the lever lock. I use the lever to drive the ball head when glassing and shooting.

With a ball head, the knob is not connected to the ball head, so you absolutely need two hands for glass and have to carefully drive the rifle so it doesn't roll over.

One of the best shooters I know, a professional, prefers the 55 over the Anvil.
The bh 40 ball has micro tension adjustment so i can put my binoculars on it and set tension so i can move it with my eyes hands free and adjust tension for rifle and spotter and move relatively easily then lock it in place. I’m loving it so far and was originally disappointed in the anvil. (But didn’t give it too much time) I’m hoping to do some shooting of it this weekend.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The bh 40 ball has micro tension adjustment so i can put my binoculars on it and set tension so i can move it with my eyes hands free and adjust tension for rifle and spotter and move relatively easily then lock it in place. I’m loving it so far and was originally disappointed in the anvil. (But didn’t give it too much time) I’m hoping to do some shooting of it this weekend.
I believe that the decision is 100% use and preference driven. I doubt you will notice a difference in the actual shot between either head.

You are looking primarily at glassing in your preferred method for the choice. Makes perfect sense you would be drawn to the ball head. Its why I try to clarify that the Anvil is the "best" for shooting, but there are other satisfactory solutions that balance other factors.

Definitely play with the Anvil, you might find a way to run it that makes sense for you.

parshal

WKR
I have used pretty much every sized RRS head at some point as well as the anvil. I've bought and tried the anvil two different times only to send it back. I spend more time using the head for glassing than shooting. I honestly prefer to toss a bag over the head rather than clamping in the head. That's also how I've been shooting off a tripod in competitions, too.

I guess what I'm saying is don't assume you'll want/need to clamp your rifle to the tripod. If that's your primary goal nothing will be better than the anvil.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have used pretty much every sized RRS head at some point as well as the anvil. I've bought and tried the anvil two different times only to send it back. I spend more time using the head for glassing than shooting. I honestly prefer to toss a bag over the head rather than clamping in the head. That's also how I've been shooting off a tripod in competitions, too.

I guess what I'm saying is don't assume you'll want/need to clamp your rifle to the tripod. If that's your primary goal nothing will be better than the anvil.
That's absolutely right. I am started making and selling plates with bags because there are lots of ways to skin a cat. I used a bag over a tripod head before I ever heard of RRS and before the Anvil hit the circuit.

OP
7718Sallee
I appreciate all the input. I like hearing everyone’s opinions and insights. I’m really trying to simplify my system. I am already hauling a tripod and head for glassing so i thought why not upgrade them and shoot from it to. In the past I’ve used trekking pole, tree, pack, etc. I don’t carry a shooting bag for anything and that would just be another thing to carry. I’ll give the anvil another try before deciding to be sure but out of the box i do really like the bh40.

BWB

FNG
Glassing off the top of a tripod isn't going to kill the animal, shooting off of it will...which one is better for shooting? Anvil is my preference, you will get used to glassing off it and love it all the same.