RSI smart cap

ericbeb

FNG
Anyone have an rsi smart cap for their truck? Was thinking about getting one but wanted to hear some feedback on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I’ve got one. Expensive. The side doors are massive, on bubble seals, and just awesome. I can literally crawl through one. It’s pretty light for how robust it is. They put a clear panel on the truck center cab light so my bed spotlight still works - so I’d say they have good attention to detail. The side slider windows have multiple stop points and work well. The top vent works enough to see an improvement on dirt roads, but a tailgate seal is still a good add. I get a lot of compliments on the look of it.

Latches are good - do need some graphite powder to keep the locks easy to use. One of my hinges has a massive cracking sound when I use it that I need to call them about. The back window is pretty tiny, but the back door actually feels like a solid door with a good seal, not a flimsy thing.

Worth it? A double windoor fiberglass with roof rails will be $1k or more less. But I think the smart cap is a hell of a lot better, especially if you want to load the roof up.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I just put one on my truck. I really like it, but have not had it long enough to give more than first impressions. The smaller cap for my Tacoma does not have the clear panel, so my cargo light is now worthless.

I got the EVOa with metal side doors, which I like more than glass. Though, if you have a dog that rides in the bed glass gives you sliding windows to give them ventilation.

I just put one on my truck. I really like it, but have not had it long enough to give more than first impressions. The smaller cap for my Tacoma does not have the clear panel, so my cargo light is now worthless.

I got the EVOa with metal side doors, which I like more than glass. Though, if you have a dog that rides in the bed glass gives you sliding windows to give them ventilation.

Let’s see a pic!

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Let’s see a pic!

20211102_171833.jpg
20211102_172559.jpg
Top Notch Accessories in Anchorage was great to deal with. I took it home to assemble and after unpacking a good bit of it noticed some shipping damage. When I called to ask what to do they told me to being it back and swap for the assembled one they had. They did not charge me for having done at least half the install work by assembling it (and I asked two different people if I owed them for labor).

Braaap

WKR
I’m close to ordering one of these but I’m still on the fence. Worth the extra cost vs a high quality fiberglass shell? I currently have an ARE on my tundra and I like it. My wife just got a F150 and I’ll either get another ARE (HD model) or the smartcap, and likely a roof top tent later on.

Backyard

WKR
Is there a way to get out from the inside if someone were to accidentally latch it?

Brado16

WKR
Also getting close to pulling the trigger on one..... anyone else have any feedback? Leadtime for one is actually shorter than what I was quoted for an ARE.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I’m close to ordering one of these but I’m still on the fence. Worth the extra cost vs a high quality fiberglass shell? I currently have an ARE on my tundra and I like it. My wife just got a F150 and I’ll either get another ARE (HD model) or the smartcap, and likely a roof top tent later on.

I certainly think it is. If you want to camp on top, the static roof rating is well beyond what a fiberglass cap has. It’s super “tight” and hasn’t changed, and I haven’t babied it.

Latches - I believe you could get locked in with this type, there’s no handle to pop them open from inside. Latch on each side of each door. One thing about them is you have to keep them clean - I always blow the trail dust off before keying them. End up putting some dry graphite in them and they turn super easy again.

Had mine on a year now and it still looks brand new. Still expensive as hell though.

Braaap

WKR
I certainly think it is. If you want to camp on top, the static roof rating is well beyond what a fiberglass cap has. It’s super “tight” and hasn’t changed, and I haven’t babied it.

Latches - I believe you could get locked in with this type, there’s no handle to pop them open from inside. Latch on each side of each door. One thing about them is you have to keep them clean - I always blow the trail dust off before keying them. End up putting some dry graphite in them and they turn super easy again.

Had mine on a year now and it still looks brand new. Still expensive as hell though.
Good info. The price is the only reason I’m hesitating. ARE makes a HD model that supports similar weight to the smartcap.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Is there a way to get out from the inside if someone were to accidentally latch it?

No. However RSI is supposed to be designing new latches to low egress. Might be available early next year.

Price really isn't that much different, I've had a few of the quality fiberglass caps and one RSI. RSI is superior in my opinion. I was running a full length rack system with a RTT. Camped all over Alaska last summer, thoroughly enjoyed it. Truck ended up being a POS and returned to Ford, will put another RSI on the new truck.

Spoke with RSI through email, latches have been re-designed to also open from the inside. They've also improved latch function in cold climates. These new latches won't be available until approximately March of '22. Current owner's of an RSI cap will be able to swap out for the new latches once available.

IMG-2235.jpgIMG-2267.jpgIMG-2264.jpg

Last edited:

Braaap

WKR
Price really isn't that much different, I've had a few of the quality fiberglass caps and one RSI. RSI is superior in my opinion. I was running a full length rack system with a RTT. Camped all over Alaska last summer, thoroughly enjoyed it. Truck ended up being a POS and returned to Ford, will put another RSI on the new truck.

Spoke with RSI through email, latches have been re-designed to also open from the inside. They've also improved latch function in cold climates. These new latches won't be available until approximately March of '22. Current owner's of an RSI cap will be able to swap out for the new latches once available.

View attachment 343467View attachment 343468View attachment 343469
What roof rack is that? I just bought a Ford really similar to yours. It’s my first Ford, kinda nervous after owning several Toyota’s. Thanks for the info on the RSI cap. I think I’ll go that route.

Front Runner Slimline II. They were great to work with, really helped in determining the best set up for what I was trying to do. Will re-use this rack on the next RSI.

Backyard

WKR

View attachment 343467View attachment 343468View attachment 343469

They’re priced at almost double that of a quality fiberglass. What are you paying? And where?

Perrin713

FNG
I’d buy one if they come available for my 2016 Duramax. Was told they’d have one produced in 6 months?

Bigrandom

FNG
I’m selling mine for my 2020 Colorado 6ft bed. I have the adventure model that I installed two 18 inch led rails. Tied into the back door so when the door opens the lights come on.
buying a new truck so it’s useless on my truck. Waited 7 months for it…. Been installed for three months haha.
Trying to figure out the best way to sell it now.

They’re priced at almost double that of a quality fiberglass. What are you paying? And where?

If you want comparable options it comes very close. Snugtop Rebel with the sportsman's package that has the reinforced roof, windoors, roof rails, etc., I was quoted $3400. RSI is $3895. Hardly half the price. If you get the most basic fiberglass cap, maybe.

I haul weight on the roof over rough roads for long distances, roof strength is required.

I’m selling mine for my 2020 Colorado 6ft bed. I have the adventure model that I installed two 18 inch led rails. Tied into the back door so when the door opens the lights come on.
buying a new truck so it’s useless on my truck. Waited 7 months for it…. Been installed for three months haha.
Trying to figure out the best way to sell it now.
I was in the same situation after selling my F150, sold it via Facebook marketplace within a week.

Bigrandom

FNG
I was in the same situation after selling my F150, sold it via Facebook marketplace within a week.
If you don’t mind me asking. What did you get for it. I have mine up on Facebook market and it’s at over 600 views and no bites on it lol.