RSI smart cap

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Seriously thinking of ordering one of these but I’m still on the fence.
I don't think you would regret it.

I really like mine. I do have to say though, the RSI locks suck in the cold. They are supposed to have an improved version sometime next year to fix the problem. The locks are not bad quality (other than the actual cylinders, but those are on par with most of what you will find), they are just a poor design for cold and wet. I should have oiled mine before things froze. I thawed them with a heat gun and oiled with M-Pro 7, but I did not get them fully dry and some of them were frozen again the next morning. I think I'm going to leave a portable buddy heater in the bed and see if that gets things warm enough to dry the latches and lock cylinders.

If you want comparable options it comes very closeSnugtop Rebel with the sportsman's package that has the reinforced roof, windoors, roof rails, etc., I was quoted $3400. RSI is $3895. Hardly half the price. If you get the most basic fiberglass cap, maybe.

I agree. RSI is definitely not “double” the price if you compare similar options. I was right there in the 3k+ range with a leer loaded up with side entry, reinforced roof etc. When I got the quote on RSI it was no brained for me.

You can’t compare a basic topper to one of these IMO….

I have had mine for 6 months. I freakin love the smart cap!

OP
E

ericbeb

FNG
Has anyone had any leak issues with their cap I was watching some reviews online and people were saying they were leaking around the windows and through the pressure vent?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JBahr

Lil-Rokslider
Absolutely the best topper for the $$$. To answer a few questions I've seen:
- You can get yourself out from inside by sliding the windows open, popping the gullwings, then opening the back. Or don't get kidnapped in the first place... Or get the new locks when available.
- The vent at the top does not leak unless you throw a pressure washer at it.
- Building your own low profile rack is the way to go. Extruded aluminum works great, RSI will help you identify the correct attachment hardware.

This video covers my 4 tire PowerTank system I built but it also shows of the SmartCap.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Has anyone had any leak issues with their cap I was watching some reviews online and people were saying they were leaking around the windows and through the pressure vent?

No leaking issues for me. I have the Adventure with metal side doors though.

Man im so jealous! If only these were available when i got my canopy lol. I want to uprgrade someday but its wayyy down my list of wants

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Mine is working well still. I packed the lock cores with M Pro 7 weapons grease to keep moisture out and got some covers for the lockes. I have not had the locks freeze since.

The only time the vent has leaked is washing the roof with a pressure washer.

You can see the covers in this image.

20220115_144105.jpg

Man im so jealous! If only these were available when i got my canopy lol. I want to uprgrade someday but its wayyy down my list of wants
If I had already had a cap, it would have been impossible to justify the expense.

Mine is working well still. I packed the lock cores with M Pro 7 weapons grease to keep moisture out and got some covers for the lockes. I have not had the locks freeze since.

The only time the vent has leaked is washing the roof with a pressure washer.

You can see the covers in this image.

View attachment 369607

If I had already had a cap, it would have been impossible to justify the expense.
Yeah i agree and its not just cost too, i have a rhino rack on top of mine plus an ez topper lift strut system(highly recommend its amazing) with the built in tent attached to my ARE lol. I love the concept and design of the RSI tho

Elkangle

WKR
Had one for about a year now...zero regrets..esp for a hunting rig where I'm living out of my truck so much

tony

WKR
Just read RSI will building caps in Texas.
I like it, I'm on the fence between a "cover" looking at diamondback and a set of billie bars. This and a few accessories will be at least 3 grand
How hard is it to remove the smart cap off the truck once its installed?

I'm driving a '21 Ranger Tremor

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Just read RSI will building caps in Texas.
I like it, I'm on the fence between a "cover" looking at diamondback and a set of billie bars. This and a few accessories will be at least 3 grand
How hard is it to remove the smart cap off the truck once its installed?

I'm driving a '21 Ranger Tremor
On my Tacoma it mounts using the factory bed rails, so six easily accessed bolts and some muscle to lift it. About a 10 minute job.

It being steel, you do not have to worry about cracking it when you take it off, unlike fiberglass.

tony

WKR
Thanks
Just read they increased prices first of the year. I like it but, way more than I can justify spending.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I’ve had to warranty my rear door hinges now - they were incredibly good about it though. They creak and make a loud crack when I open the door. Dry graphite helps for about 5 minutes. Again good interaction, which considering the premium cost one would hope for.

I also asked them about preventative measures for these latches, which can get pretty gummed up on the rear doors - they said they were redesigning a new one that could also be opened from the inside, that could be purchased at a later date. Or they would send me some aftermarket plastic covers to help with snow/ice buildup.

Ebby

WKR
I love mine. I've had it for about 18 months. Waaaay better than any fiberglass top I ever had. No leaking and almost no dust for me but my tailgate is sealed.

Latches are hard to open when cold and frozen. That's my only complaint. Hoping the new ones work better. It's a great topper.

Lee

OP
E

ericbeb

FNG
How did you seal you tail gate can you post some pictures

Ebby

WKR
I just used some foam tape to seal mine up. Nothing fancy but it works. Plus the design of the Smart Cap really keeps the dust out with the vent in the top.

Iceman82

FNG
I have one on an F-350 Platinum.
I love it, I've owned a multitude of different brand fiberglass junkers. This one is superior. The air scoop absolutely helps reduce dust.

Voyageur

WKR
@ericbeb That is a great looking topper you have on your truck. What model SmartCap is it?
Any idea what it weighs?
After spending around $2K a few years ago for a fiberglass cap and a supposed upgrade from my previous aluminum toppers, and subsequently dealing with several leaking windows, I'm starting to wonder if the extra cost of fiberglass is worth it.
I would be very interested in hearing how your stainless steel SmartCap holds up and performs in the field.
Again, great looking rig, and thanks for sharing the picture.