Rtic 30 meat travel

jmillr1

WKR
Just traveled to Idaho for a bear hunt and brought all the meat back on a SW flight. I remember seeing a while back before I was a member some folks asking if an Rtic 30 soft cooler (This one: https://rticoutdoors.com/Soft-Pack-Coolers?name=Soft-Pack&size=30&color=Kanati-Camo) would fit in an overhead compartment. The answer is YES. I would suspect that the 40 would as well. I had zero problems with leaks or anything of that nature.

I used the RTIC 30 for a couple flights, brought back frozen fish with less than 5lbs of dry ice and worked well in overhead compartment. Zipper stopped locking and eventually broke off after just 3 years.

Tahoe1305

WKR
I’ve used the 40 on three flights. Held most of a white tail. Much heavier than I could have checked but they just plane side it if it doesn’t fit in overhead. Kept meat cold for 12 hour flight without issue. Haven’t had an issue in use but last 6 months zipper does seem to be having issues (getting bound in zipper cover). But for price and how I’ve used it it was a good buy for sure. Think I paid $80 or something for it.

OP
jmillr1

jmillr1

WKR
I’ve used the 40 on three flights. Held most of a white tail. Much heavier than I could have checked but they just plane side it if it doesn’t fit in overhead. Kept meat cold for 12 hour flight without issue. Haven’t had an issue in use but last 6 months zipper does seem to be having issues (getting bound in zipper cover). But for price and how I’ve used it it was a good buy for sure. Think I paid $80 or something for it.
Yeah the biggest issue I've seen is the zipper. I lube the hell out of it and haven't had any issues thus far, plus for the price I paid at the Rtic warehouse near Houston (75 dollars) it's already in the plus column for saving me extra baggage and overweight fees on southwest.

jkmozb

FNG
Thanks for this idea. Had no idea this was an option. We send it home and pay for extra checkin’s flying on Alaska.