Rubber boots for Alaska

fellerr

Lil-Rokslider
Guide for our Alaska moose trip recommemded rubber boots versus lace up boots. Any suggestions?

When its muddy and cold, I live in muck boots at work, walking miles some days. No problems at all.

I'd prefer to wear lace up boots but doesnt sound like that is a great option.

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
I wore Mucks every day when I worked in the puddle tundra of interior AK. I think they hold up much better than xtratuffs ever since xtratuff moved production overseas.

If you're already used to hiking in Muck boots, all the better.

What type of moose hunt is it? Are you mainly hunting off a boat or are you flying into somewhere?

OP
fellerr

fellerr

Lil-Rokslider
Fly in, and float down a river as needed.

Muck boots are the only rubber boots that fit me well enough to do any amount of distance in.

By fit, I mean they hold the ankle well enough to where you aren't "walking in the boot", the boot walks on the ground. If that makes sense.

OP
fellerr

fellerr

Lil-Rokslider
Always have gotten along fairly well with Mucks...not familiar with anything else though.

SDHNTR

WKR
Spend any time at all in AK and you will notice one type of footwear worn more often than ANYTHING else. Xtratuff.

Go for the Mucks if that's what you know. My only hesitation would be in the event you're hauling a moose quarter a ways over uneven footing and you need the stronger ankle support of a lace up boot. But while around the river, you'll be glad you have your rubber boots for sure.

GLB

WKR
I wear mucks unless I’m hiking in to a base camp. If any hiking really I prefer a good leather/synthetic lace up boot for better support.

How will you be hunting, just hiking out from a camp, floating? High country, or low valley stuff?

I have killed and hauled more moose in Simms Chest waders than any other sort of clothing. The boots provide more support than any rubber type boot, but if it's warm out, you're going to sweat a lot in the waders. The Muck boots are solid too, I grab them over any of my Xtratuff's every time now.

If you can, bring both, a set of Simms chest waders with boots and some Muck boots. Wear the Muck boots on your fly out and put your lighter, camp shoes/boots in your carry on if necessary.