Rubie mountains help

I drew a tag in the Rubie mountains and have been doing a lot of scouting over the past couple years on Google Earth. I’d like to compare some of my thoughts with someone who might have a little experience hunting there? Not looking for any particular spots or units, just general knowledge of hunting those mountains. I’m coming from Michigan so this will be a new experience for me. I have hunted Colorado, Nebraska and many Whitetail states across the Midwest so I am also willing to share info if someone is interested.
Appreciate it guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
R
Sorry, Should’ve mentioned that. Early archery.

The Rubies and East Humboldts are steep, rocky, and high elevation. Start working on fitness right away. This unit has a lot of tags, and is not known for trophy bucks, but will definitely be scenic and an adventure. Trailhead access is a bit limited since these mtns are ringed by private. Water may be a challenge up high depending on where you are, but you may be able yo use snow. I had a coworker that last year hunted the Secret Pass area and said he saw deer almost every day, though I don't know the area. Good glass I think would be a must. Randy Newberg has an archery video of this area (He was in the East Humboldts, though he said Rubys multiple times), it might be worth checking out. Just a few random thoughts.

mickeyelk

FNG
I drew a tag in the Rubie mountains and have been doing a lot of scouting over the past couple years on Google Earth. I’d like to compare some of my thoughts with someone who might have a little experience hunting there? Not looking for any particular spots or units, just general knowledge of hunting those mountains. I’m coming from Michigan so this will be a new experience for me. I have hunted Colorado, Nebraska and many Whitetail states across the Midwest so I am also willing to share info if someone is interested.
Appreciate it guys.

First, what type hunting are you expecting to do? If its backpacking in then this is your best bet. With the temperatures being so warm at that time all the bucks will be up high and in bachelor groups. Secret pass has two sides to the mountain. The 102 side is straight up but rewarding with water and good hunting on top. The 101 side is easier hunting but.... Pm me and we can talk.

07yzryder

Lil-Rokslider
no help from me but ill be there for the oct 17th -31st season. First big game tag ever and what sounds like one of the toughests areas.

For anyone with tips id appreciate some as well, mainly weather and what to expect in late october. I have the tent bag ETC to sleep comfortably down to 0. Gear wise i grabbed some additional layers and a puffy jacket since it sounds like hike before the sun comes up and glass the morning. Never done a long stay in the backcountry but planning on 7 day stay and have another 7 days worth of stuff for the second week if absolutely necessary.

Im pretty much studying onx now and looking for areas with cover and water but not sure how one would find food on the maps (aka what to look for) so im blocking out the full 2 weeks, absolute worst case i get to spend 2 full weeks in the back country away from work and in nature. Best case i harvest a buck and get some meat for the next few months!

no help from me but ill be there for the oct 17th -31st season. First big game tag ever and what sounds like one of the toughests areas.

For anyone with tips id appreciate some as well, mainly weather and what to expect in late october. I have the tent bag ETC to sleep comfortably down to 0. Gear wise i grabbed some additional layers and a puffy jacket since it sounds like hike before the sun comes up and glass the morning. Never done a long stay in the backcountry but planning on 7 day stay and have another 7 days worth of stuff for the second week if absolutely necessary.

Im pretty much studying onx now and looking for areas with cover and water but not sure how one would find food on the maps (aka what to look for) so im blocking out the full 2 weeks, absolute worst case i get to spend 2 full weeks in the back country away from work and in nature. Best case i harvest a buck and get some meat for the next few months!

Be prepared for any type of weather. I was in there early Oct a couple years ago, at around 9000ft and it was beautiful only one day of rain. Had a buddy that got packed in for this hunt, and got snowed in in the tent for 3-4 days.