Ruby Mountains VS Wasatch Mountain

Chanlon86

FNG
I have antlered mule deer tags in both mentioned hunt units. Im thinking ill only have time for one hunt this fall. Muzzleloader hunt in wasatch mountains west or rifle hunt in the ruby mountains unit 10. Given the knowledge of the hunters on this forum which hunt would you pick. Thanks for your picks.

If you find a 160 in Wasatch West it’s a definite shooter. I can’t imagine that Nevada wouldn’t be better than a low end Utah general tag.

OP
Chanlon86

Chanlon86

FNG
If you find a 160 in Wasatch West it’s a definite shooter. I can’t imagine that Nevada wouldn’t be better than a low end Utah general tag.

It looks like unit 10 holes 150"-170" bucks. The bigger bucks being in the ruby mountains(unit 101-103) Most of the outer laying units 150"-160"(units 104-109)

2rocky

WKR
Depends on if you are a resident in either state? As a non resident, pretty sure you can get the Wasatch tag again in a year or two. Nevada is never guaranteed...

sneaky

"DADDY"
There's good bucks in Wasatch West, a 160 isn't a unicorn in there. Problem is restrictions with the zone where you can shoot muzzeloaders, it eliminates all of Salt Lake county for your hunt and focuses everyone in the part of the zone open to muzzy hunting. The part that's open for you to hunt with a muzzy gets tons of pressure, so you have to work hard to find a decent buck. Best bucks in that unit are in the area you can't hunt with that weapon. What season dates do you have for the Ruby tag?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
Chanlon86

Chanlon86

FNG
Depends on if you are a resident in either state? As a non resident, pretty sure you can get the Wasatch tag again in a year or two. Nevada is never guaranteed...

I'm a nevada resident so odds are probably better for me to draw the utah tag again, although I've already spent $250 on muzzy supplies and the tag for out of state cost $268. My nevada tag dates are the mid season, October 17th-30th. Im sure it's equally crowded as the Wasatch hunt.

2rocky

WKR
Looks like Wasatch West is 100% with zero points. Don't fall victim to the "Sunk Cost Fallacy"

sunk-cost-fallacy-definition.png

Reactions: lif
OP
Chanlon86

Chanlon86

FNG
I planned on doing them both and then covid19 lead to me being laid off. Now my vacation time and everything is lost. Im looking at starting a new job in about 2 weeks but I doubt i have the time off needed to actually scout and hunt like I intended to do. If I stay on unemployment I have all kinds of free time but not how I roll. Gotta get back to making money. Put a real hurt on my hunting plans. I've been looking so forward to the opportunity to take a mule deer as I'm originally from Southern Illinois and a whitetail hunter.

I planned on doing them both and then covid19 lead to me being laid off. Now my vacation time and everything is lost. Im looking at starting a new job in about 2 weeks but I doubt i have the time off needed to actually scout and hunt like I intended to do. If I stay on unemployment I have all kinds of free time but not how I roll. Gotta get back to making money. Put a real hurt on my hunting plans. I've been looking so forward to the opportunity to take a mule deer as I'm originally from Southern Illinois and a whitetail hunter.

Dang dude...keep your chin up. Way to grind and do things the right way. Karma for a decision like that will be massive down the road. It will pay off in the long run.

I'm a nevada resident so odds are probably better for me to draw the utah tag again, although I've already spent $250 on muzzy supplies and the tag for out of state cost $268. My nevada tag dates are the mid season, October 17th-30th. Im sure it's equally crowded as the Wasatch hunt.

Being a Nevada resident a Ruby Mountain tag isn’t difficult to get. If you turn your tag you’ll get your point back for this year where as in Utah you dont. That would push me a little toward Utah. Then next year I would apply for other easy to get tags in Nevada other than the rubys. To many people there.

With the mid-season tag in the Rubies I'd hunt the last 5-7 days. Bucks will start staging around does. With the pressure they receive from archery, muzzleloader, and the early rifle tag they're going to be holding pretty tight to cover when the mid-season rifle hunt kicks off. Good luck.

bigmo101

FNG
Ive hunted the extended a couple of times on the Watasach and seen some really good deer. Not sure about the muzzleloader hunt.