Ruby's Nevada

shanevg

WKR
would definitely love o hunt a backcountry pack hunt. Do most people here think that Jarbridge is the best of the archery backcountry hunts?

PhillyB

WKR
Area 22 is a great early season bowhunt. The odds of drawing that tag are much better than 23. I would say a NR has a great chance of drawing an early season bowhunt for Area 22 with 3 bonus points.

I wouldn't hesitate for a second to use points on a bowhunt in 22. With some research, a guy can find some big elevations and good bucks, way off any road. Most NV guys don't pack in because with a little scouting you can have fairly good success from the road. But there are still wilderness areas that only allow foot traffic.

In my opinion, for the average Joe...231 is a elk unit first, deer second.

Mr. Ulmer does well in 231, but he hires guides and has a landowner tag. Something the majority of hunters dont have access to.

Last edited:

Jordan guyer

Lil-Rokslider
I have been looking at hunting the ruby's also. I have three points non res. Do you guys think this area is worth burning the three points then?

Slim Jim

WKR
I have been looking at hunting the ruby's also. I have three points non res. Do you guys think this area is worth burning the three points then?

The Rubys get a lot of hunters but if you hike in far enough it can be a good hunt. Being from Wyoming you should also look at Jarbidge unit 07 and the independence range unit 06. Any three are good high country backpack units.

huntndad

FNG
I have 3 points also, and really hoping to finally hunt Nevada this summer. I've never put in for the Ruby's, though. I guess I always figured it would be overrun with hunters.

BigSurArcher

Banned
Area 22 is a great early season bowhunt. The odds of drawing that tag are much better than 23. I would say a NR has a great chance of drawing an early season bowhunt for Area 22 with 3 bonus points.

Just as a heads up no NR's drew 22 with 3 points last season, and just 2/12 drew with 4 points. On the other hand, 2/11 NR's drew 23 with 3 points. Statistically 23 should have steeper odds (fewer tags, more applicants), but you just never know with NV- as seen by these stats.

Slim Jim

WKR
I think NR odds for area 22 is 19 to 1 and area 23 is 27 to 1. They vary year to year but that is pretty close to what they usually are. The success rate is usually higher in 23 as well with bigger bucks.

OP
L

LoneStar

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for all the info. I've received a few private messages and appreciate the info. If you have any tips or other suggestions keep them coming.

bowuntr

WKR
I don't want to discourage you, but... the Rubies is a tough hunt... One look at that mountain range from the valley floor and you'll know what I mean. The hardest I've ever worked to get a deer. Lots of deer but tough to find a real good buck. A 160" buck is a good buck for the Rubies. Lots of small bucks and odd ball 3x4's. You will see other hunters... no matter how far you get back in.

Now, on the flip side... there's no place I'd rather be in early August than on the top of that ridge glassing into an alpine bowl full of velvet bucks. Can't wait for this year... Ed F

Attachments

• NV 08-02-10.jpg
    NV 08-02-10.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 252
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 246

Battle

Lil-Rokslider
I don't want to discourage you, but... the Rubies is a tough hunt... One look at that mountain range from the valley floor and you'll know what I mean. The hardest I've ever worked to get a deer. Lots of deer but tough to find a real good buck. A 160" buck is a good buck for the Rubies. Lots of small bucks and odd ball 3x4's. You will see other hunters... no matter how far you get back in.

Now, on the flip side... there's no place I'd rather be in early August than on the top of that ridge glassing into an alpine bowl full of velvet bucks. Can't wait for this year... Ed F

That was my experience as well! I second that. The tag increase last year may have made it worse than previous years, but there were hunters everywhere.

01%2520Nevada%2520Muley.jpg

SDHNTR

WKR
Anyone know anything about 131-134? Early archery? Thinking of it as a 3rd+ choice.

Slim Jim

WKR
Anyone know anything about 131-134? Early archery? Thinking of it as a 3rd+ choice.
I think it is a good elk and rifle mule deer unit but as far as archery muleys, I don't think the success rate is very good. I've never hunted that unit, just statistics and hearsay.

Hardstalk

WKR
I hunted 131-134 last year archery antelope and didnt see a deer 1. I was down low in the flats though.

Dogman

FNG
I currently have 8 deer points in NV. I am planning on cashing them in on a Ruby late archery hunt, do you NV guys think that is a wise decision? I have hunted the area twice on the early hunt but that was a long time ago. Already have hunts lined up for Aug. really want to try a late hunt.

I currently have 3 points in NV. I've been wondering about this myself - are there any other good alpine backpack units in the state with less hunters?

I currently have 8 deer points in NV. I am planning on cashing them in on a Ruby late archery hunt, do you NV guys think that is a wise decision? I have hunted the area twice on the early hunt but that was a long time ago. Already have hunts lined up for Aug. really want to try a late hunt.

Late can be a gamble in the Ruby' s...... unlikely but you could have 10' of snow.

Slim Jim

WKR

The only late hunts are jarbidge and rubys and they can be good if want to deal with the snow. With eight points I would hunt August or get another point and hunt next August in a trophy unit around Lincoln county

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
The only late hunts are jarbidge and rubys and they can be good if want to deal with the snow. With eight points I would hunt August or get another point and hunt next August in a trophy unit around Lincoln county

Jim, those aren't the only late hunts, there are quite a few all around the state.

Personally if I had 8 points, I would be looking at a rifle tag someplace.