Ruck Run Question

Anyone do any running with a pack on? I like to do it but it seems to require a different style as the rhythm is different from your normal pace. Also, I have not done it with a quality pack to know how it feels. I have done a lot of it with an ALICE pack frame and end up wearing a hole in the middle of my back and on kidney area. I have lashed weights on just the frame. What methods do you guys use to achieve this as far as pack style and what do you use for weight? One of my buddies uses books.

franklin,

I wouldn't do any training with an ALICE pack frame. Having used it in a "professional" capacity years ago I can tell you it was one of the worst pieces of kit I ever had to use. The mountain ruck frame that preceeded it was much better and more comfortable. Anyway, to answer your question, I would...

1) Not use more than say 15 pounds of weight if you want to run with a ruck on. The Army does not recommend people doing runs with heavy rucks, even those training for Ranger or Special Forces qualification/training. It puts too much stress on your spine and knees. If you are trying to build your cardio then do speed walking with a weighted pack instead; your body gets used to carrying the weight and you get the added cardio workout and mental toughness from pushing yourself.

2) If you do want to carry some weight while running or jogging, then I would use something like tall water bottles or bags of sand, once again not exceeding around 15 pounds, that you can strap close to your back so that you don't torque your body while running and the weight is distributed along your whole back instead of just on your hips.

Last edited:

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I do the airborne shuffle from time to time, but don't think it's a very good idea to run with a weighted pack on.

we're not getting any younger brother!

OP
Brandon Pattison
Now that you guys mention it, I agree. My back is not as it once was. Whenever I was on a job that someone needed something heavy moved they came and got me. Being too proud (or dumb) I would do it, not to mention your mind stays in the position of the greatest shape you have ever been in and thinks it can do it all. I have been taking calcium magnesium citrate to deal with the back pain. I used to think that the chiropractor was the only option but studies prove this ingredient works. My cousin's wife is small framed and carries their teenage mentally handicapped son up and down stairs. She went to the chiropractor twice a week. After the supplements she hasn't been in a year. It does take time for it to work. Besides the occasional anti-biotic and supplements, I despise pharmaceuticals.