Rucking Weight & Altitude Training (Pre Trip)

My hunting is pretty typical for folks in Michigan, mostly stationary. I do a lot of backpacking though, and was wondering how folks have had good success for out west types of trips or hunts. Things like..

Do you do practice hikes with a heavier pack than you'd carry, or the trip weight pack?
Do you try to simulate elevation gain/loss or just go after miles?

I did a pretty big backpacking trip a year ago, trained quite a bit for it, and it went pretty well. Always curious though what has worked well for other folks! Thanks in advance!

Brendan

WKR
I come from sea level, Boston MA. This year the starting point for my hunt was over 10,000' and I got as high as 12,700' and never had an issue. I am lean and in pretty good shape to start.

Primary things that work for me:

Work High Intensity Sprint / HiiT type workouts into your prep. I did rucking, mountain biking, total body workouts, but also at least one workout of threshold hill sprints a week for two months leading up to the season. As in, maximum heart rate training.

Second, I showed up to elevation early. 3 full days would do it. I rented an AirBnB and worked remotely at elevation, drank lots of water and took it easy. 4th day I was at almost 13,000' and while a little winded at times, didn't miss a beat.

I've never bothered showing up early when I hunt Montana and Wyoming and my hunts top out at 8,000-9,000' and did fine. Colorado this year I'm glad I showed up to acclimate.

hunting1

WKR
OP
H
I come from sea level, Boston MA. This year the starting point for my hunt was over 10,000' and I got as high as 12,700' and never had an issue. I am lean and in pretty good shape to start.

Primary things that work for me:

Work High Intensity Sprint / HiiT type workouts into your prep. I did rucking, mountain biking, total body workouts, but also at least one workout of threshold hill sprints a week for two months leading up to the season. As in, maximum heart rate training.

Second, I showed up to elevation early. 3 full days would do it. I rented an AirBnB and worked remotely at elevation, drank lots of water and took it easy. 4th day I was at almost 13,000' and while a little winded at times, didn't miss a beat.

I've never bothered showing up early when I hunt Montana and Wyoming and my hunts top out at 8,000-9,000' and did fine. Colorado this year I'm glad I showed up to acclimate.
Great info! I definitely noticed a difference on my hike last year when we got above about 8500'. Never felt sick, it just kicked my butt more than the lower stuff.

I keep things going with CrossFit 4 - 5 times a week throughout the year, with some running sprinkled in there. I'm sure that helps on the recovery side too.

Will definitely keep the climatizing piece in mind for potential future hikes/hunts. Thinking of something in the Collegiate Loop of CO in the next couple of years, that may be a good strategy. Thanks again!

OP
H
I live at 6,000' and hike up to 10,000 using plates (10,20,25#) it helps a lot when carrying your hunting/hiking packs for days on end. I run the 20-25 all year and toward the fall go up to 50-lbs. Box step ups with weighted pack will help a bunch if you don't have hills or mountains.
Bulk beans or rice make great weight media as well.
I didn't know those types of plates existed!

akearns82

FNG
I went on my first hunting DIY trip just north of Durango. I started training in April, earlier than I planned on, due to the gyms being closed. Towards the end of my training i was working out 4 days a week and on the weekends doing a long run 7-8 miles and a weighted hike (9mile -80lbs peak of training). I trained legs twice a week. My leg workout at the peak was 3 rounds of 40 balance board squats, put on heavy pack, 40 lunges, 10 up downs, 40 squats, 40 toe raises on the the stairs.
We have a lake in my neighborhood that has a big damn 110 vertical ft in about a tenth of mile. That was great for building up calves and ankle strength. I think this really helped with the side hilling. You don't realize how much side hilling you will do. Id recommend if you are from MI going to train on some of the sand dunes on lake Michigan.

OP
H
I went on my first hunting DIY trip just north of Durango. I started training in April, earlier than I planned on, due to the gyms being closed. Towards the end of my training i was working out 4 days a week and on the weekends doing a long run 7-8 miles and a weighted hike (9mile -80lbs peak of training). I trained legs twice a week. My leg workout at the peak was 3 rounds of 40 balance board squats, put on heavy pack, 40 lunges, 10 up downs, 40 squats, 40 toe raises on the the stairs.
We have a lake in my neighborhood that has a big damn 110 vertical ft in about a tenth of mile. That was great for building up calves and ankle strength. I think this really helped with the side hilling. You don't realize how much side hilling you will do. Id recommend if you are from MI going to train on some of the sand dunes on lake Michigan.
That's some solid advice, thanks! How did the hunt turn out?

akearns82

FNG
That's some solid advice, thanks! How did the hunt turn out?
I was in really good shape put it still took a few days of little headaches and having to take it a little slower. It took 3 days to find them. the next four days we called in three within bow range but it was always thick and couldn't get any shots.