"Rucking" with my pack

Hi everyone,

I was hoping to gain some insights as to what everyone uses as far as adding/stabilizing weight in their packs. Wanting to really start hammering and breaking in the new pack and boots. I've seen some posts about a 50lb bag of sand with duct tape, is that the best method? For reference, I just got the Mystery Ranch Metcalf pack. TIA.

Yup. 50# bag of sand from home depot for $3.50 works great. Don't really need the duct tape as it holds up fine in your load shelf. Maybe if you were using it for sandbag workouts tossing it around

Fill up a bladder with water and you're in the 60#s

*zap*

WKR
I use weight plates but a 5-6 gallon water or gas jug will fit most packs and allows both e-z adjustment of weight and dumping out while hiking to lighten the load....they also have 3 gallon jugs.

TSAMP

WKR
Yup. 50# bag of sand from home depot for $3.50 works great. Don't really need the duct tape as it holds up fine in your load shelf. Maybe if you were using it for sandbag workouts tossing it around

Drop the bag into an old pillow case if your worried about it splitting.

Made my own sand bag with vinyl covered canvas truck tarp material with a roll top closure. I use sand for weight. My pack is my Kifaru long hunter frame with my own "grab it" that I also made.

Sand in gallon zip lock in contractor bag in old towel in copious amount of duct tape. Mix and match 10# and 20# so you can play with weights. Should cost about $20 all in.

- weight plates will burn / rub through nylon.
- water is 8# per gallon so if you go this route you will be hauling +6 gallons to hit 50#
- if you use water, consider 1 liter bottles. Gallon jugs will break if you toss your pack around.

lastly, dont run with a weighted pack. Your knees will thank you some day.

*zap*

WKR
You can wrap a weight plate in a big towel easily enough and just strap it to the frame. As far as water goes it is bulky but if you want to drop weight for part of the hike it is ideal. Personally I am staying under 50# 95% of the time I ruck and I find 35# is ideal. 25# plate in a molle 2 radio pouch, frame, pack and a few items and I am good.

UTJL

Lil-Rokslider
Hi everyone,

I was hoping to gain some insights as to what everyone uses as far as adding/stabilizing weight in their packs. Wanting to really start hammering and breaking in the new pack and boots. I've seen some posts about a 50lb bag of sand with duct tape, is that the best method? For reference, I just got the Mystery Ranch Metcalf pack. TIA.

I also have a Metcalf and use a “50lb” bag of sand wrapped in duct tape. Just makes the bag more durable. I also have two folded up blankets in the bottom of the pack to move the center of gravity higher, makes it a lot more comfortable.

If you buy a sand bag be sure to weigh it. My 50lb bag is actually 58 lbs.

Last edited:

4rcgoat

WKR
I have a custom load sling (Rugged Stitching) for my NICE frame,use an old compression sack with sand.

Pro953

WKR
Water softener salt has worked good for me. Super cheap and It’s not as dense as sand so you get that full pack feel which I find is more realistic vs padded plates. I have not worked with sand but I assume it’s somewhere between the two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because I don't want to carry my rifle, 400 dollar sleeping bag and assorted other specialized gear when I'm going for a day hike.
Fair enough, it just makes more sense to train this way, but then I realize not everyone lives in an area that this is okay.

Antares

WKR
Why dont you guys load your pack with gear your actually going to take on a hunt?

Because it would be an awkward conversation trying to explain to the Troopers why I was packing around a dead deer in June, ""Hey guys! Just doing some training here, nothing to be concerned about...train like you hunt, right?"

Sand bags simplify that conversation considerably.

Because it would be an awkward conversation trying to explain to the Troopers why I was packing around a dead deer in June, ""Hey guys! Just doing some training here, nothing to be concerned about...train like you hunt, right?"

Sand bags simplify that conversation considerably.
That would be an awkward conversation.

I made smaller pig pills so I could adjust the weight a little more. Basically just a sandbag wrapped in duct tape:
How to Make a Sandbag Pill for Weighted Ruck Runs

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I use 60 pound bags of traction sand (it is what I have in my garage). I put a trash bag over them to keep the grit in, use just enough tap to keep from having loose bag, but not so much that the sand bag has a fixed shape.

I then carry one or two of them on the load shelf like I would meat.