Ruger accuracy

Chad44

Lil-Rokslider
I own an older ruger m77 in 243. It is totally stock and shoots minute of deer. I would like to make it a shooter. I have asked people on forums and such and the general saying is that most guys won't work on a ruger action. Is it necessary to blue print this or would swapping the barrel and stock be sufficient?
Thanks

Last edited:

Daniel_M

WKR
What is it doing/not doing?

How many types of ammo have up shot to tighten it up?

My MKII 338 was fond of Partitions, my so much on Barnes.

Shrek

WKR
Bedding and a trigger . Then a load work up. Most will shoot with that. Action trueing and a barrel would be wasted if you don't get the bedding and trigger right anyways.

OP
C

Chad44

Lil-Rokslider
I've had it for 15 years. Killed my first deer with it and my daughter just killed her first with it. It shoots ok but I want to put a longer/heavier barrel on it for shooting longer ranges at steel. It's got the factory barrel that is really short. Can't get the velocity out of it. I'd say its shooting 3 moa or so. I reload And have shot just about everything thru it. The stock is a POS so I know that's part of it and the trigger sucks too.

Shrek

WKR
By the time you have bought a new stock , new trigger , new barrel , and smith work you would be much better served to sell the rifle and buy a custom built rig on a premium action. Or at least a custom on a Remington action so you are not fighting the limited smith and parts pool the Ruger swims in. In my experience the best aftermarket triggers for the Ruger are not that great. A trued Remington action with a quality barrel , jewell trigger , and the huge selection of stocks is a much better deal. Lots of custom bolts , firing pins and springs , magazine options. Comparatively next to nothing to customize with using a Ruger action.

OP
C

Chad44

Lil-Rokslider
So is it a waste of a barrel to put it on a action that isn't trued? I found a smith on another site that works with Mauser actions. Mark Skaggs. Seems to do good work from what I've read. If I were going the route of a whole new rig I'd prob just buy a savage. No blueprinting necessary. But I'm Turing to make this work if possible

Shrek

WKR
Not necessarily. A trued action give you the straightest foundation to build on but is not always nessasary to get an accurate rifle. If you have a smith lined up and a plan then go for it. Remember that you are not limited to the 243 win. You can make it into any short action round that shares the bolt face. 243 win , 260 rem , 7mm-08 rem , 308 win. I think you can also do a 6mm rem but I would have to check the bolt face. In my mind a 6mm rem is a better round than the 243 win.

gpkhill2

FNG
Not necessarily. A trued action give you the straightest foundation to build on but is not always nessasary to get an accurate rifle. If you have a smith lined up and a plan then go for it. Remember that you are not limited to the 243 win. You can make it into any short action round that shares the bolt face. 243 win , 260 rem , 7mm-08 rem , 308 win. I think you can also do a 6mm rem but I would have to check the bolt face. In my mind a 6mm rem is a better round than the 243 win.

I'd look pretty hard at the 260 rem or one of the 6.5's. Light recoil and pretty good BC

Shrek

WKR
+1 for the 260 rem. Btw , you said the stock was junk ? What is it made from. Wood , laminated wood , plastic , or the boat paddle? If it's wood or laminate it can be made to work and if it's a paddle style the at least you can get a few dollars for it. Plain plastic is garbage.

OP
C

Chad44

Lil-Rokslider
That's a great plan. I honestly didn't think of changing calibers for some stupid reason. I do like the 243 but there are so many to choice from. It is the paddle style stock. If I change barrel contours( which I would) that is not going to work. Plus it's not a good solid platform. So do you think I should get a barrel and put it on and see and if it won't shoot then blueprint??

Shrek

WKR
If you are having a barrel installed I would hve it face trued while you are there. Trueing the face and lugs will do it and it will never need it again. Some people really like the paddles and if I was going to the trouble of customizing it wouldn't be a Ruger. I would sell it and do what you yourself suggest and get a Savage. I'm just not a Ruger fan and I've owned at least three of them I can recall. My old tang safety 6mm rem would put 5 under a dime at 100 and is the only one I regret selling.

JG358

WKR
So is it a waste of a barrel to put it on a action that isn't trued? I found a smith on another site that works with Mauser actions. Mark Skaggs. Seems to do good work from what I've read. If I were going the route of a whole new rig I'd prob just buy a savage. No blueprinting necessary. But I'm Turing to make this work if possible

Not a waste to rebarrel, Just true the action and lap lugs before spinning on the new barrel.

Lockburner Firearms is just a bit south of you(north of Black Forest off Brown Rd).
(719) 487-3193, ask for Todd.