Ruger american 223 mag conversion ar to standard

My dad wants a 223 compact rifle he’s decided on the ruger american but he wants a compact stock. I have a ruger american ranch stock which is a compact that takes ar mags. He doesn’t want ar mags. Can I swap the mag attachment on the ranch with the mag port on the standard model that takes the regular ruger american mags?

grfox92

WKR
My dad wants a 223 compact rifle he’s decided on the ruger american but he wants a compact stock. I have a ruger american ranch stock which is a compact that takes ar mags. He doesn’t want ar mags. Can I swap the mag attachment on the ranch with the mag port on the standard model that takes the regular ruger american mags?
If all the short actions take the same bottom plastic, and it worked in my 308 to accept ar10 mags, I will trade you.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

yfarm

WKR
From the top
LH Compact 243 in a predator stock, rotary or 450 stack mags work well
LH Compact 308 in a standard stock rotary or 450 mags work fine
Compact stock with 450 mag locked in
Compact stock with no mag
Ruger Ranch 5.56 with mag (RS practice rifle bought due to form and Wy elk guide) wish they made this in LH.
Next picture shows bottom profile difference
Lastly as you can see Ruger changed the bottom design at some point to allow use of Rotary or Magpul mags with different bottom inserts. Spoke with Ruger CS before buying the predator stock and was told it wouldn’t work, tried to buy replacement from Ruger but were no longer available. Bought from a seller in Alaska for $50 to try and it worked fine, confusion may reflect different generations of the rifle.
This replacement supposedly allows you to use rotary mags in the aics rifle.

Attachments

• IMG_0970.jpeg
    IMG_0970.jpeg
    341.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0971.jpeg
    IMG_0971.jpeg
    261.1 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
OP
T
From the top
LH Compact 243 in a predator stock, rotary or 450 stack mags work well
LH Compact 308 in a standard stock rotary or 450 mags work fine
Compact stock with 450 mag locked in
Compact stock with no mag
Ruger Ranch 5.56 with mag (RS practice rifle bought due to form and Wy elk guide) wish they made this in LH.
Next picture shows bottom profile difference
Lastly as you can see Ruger changed the bottom design at some point to allow use of Rotary or Magpul mags with different bottom inserts. Spoke with Ruger CS before buying the predator stock and was told it wouldn’t work, tried to buy replacement from Ruger but were no longer available. Bought from a seller in Alaska for $50 to try and it worked fine, confusion may reflect different generations of the rifle.
This replacement supposedly allows you to use rotary mags in the aics rifle.
So it won’t work like that?

yfarm

WKR
The magwell in the current ranch needs to be replaced with a rotary magwell which is what the one shot sled is, take that mag out and use a 223 rotary magazine, all available from ruger. The older RA stocks did not have a removable magwell which my 2 compacts are. If your magwell looks like my 5.56 (tan stock) then the one shot sled will work. The one shot comes with a one round rotary mag.

Mattys010

FNG
So you are using the 450 bushmaster mags with 308 rounds? I have a 308 and would love to ditch the rotary mags.

yfarm

WKR
The second rifle down is the 308 with a 450 mag in place, cycles well. 243 works fine as well as would be expected. Just requires a stock without the removable bottom plastic or the single shot sled conversion.

Mattys010

FNG
Thanks for the reply. I have the stock without the removable bottom plastic. I will try it

terryda

FNG
Something to consider with the Ruger is the way that the bolt drags. Used JB Bore Paste as demonstrated by an online Youtube. Worked the action several hundreds of times and slicked it right up. Also had the bolt fluted by LRI. Even smoother and a very nice visual touch.

Jackal66

FNG
I have one of the early Ruger rifles with the rotary mag.
Has anyone converted these to accept AR mags?
I am a machinist and have thought about machining out some type of adapter, and modifying the stock on mine.
If there isn't a kit already made, this will be a project for me.
I called the Ruger customer service and they said my model wouldn't accept their conversion.

terryda

FNG
I may have one of the olive green 223 Predator stocks available, that can accept the rotary mag, or with the adaptor removed, the Magpul mag. Bought a second hand composite stock from one of the other site members. If the replacement stock works like it should, the OEM stock will be available. Also, have an original stock available that accepts only the rotary mag. Will advise as soon as an outcome is arrived at.