ruger american compact or tikka t3xlite compact???

granite7

Lil-Rokslider
That's a nice looking set up. What did you put on it for a scope

Thank you. It works perfectly for us. Scope is a Leupold VX-Freedom 3-9x40.

It weighs 12.2oz. We hunt thicker areas where shots are under 200 yards, so no need to dial. I bought the Tri-MOA reticle hoping to be able to holdover. Unfortunately, it isn’t the same as the Windplex reticle in the nicer Leupold scopes. The Tri-MOA is too small to be usable.

bec1c255f44e64a63ffb72fc097bd7b8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimbob

WKR
I have used both and the tikka is definitely worth the extra $200.

My 12 yr son has the RAR compact in 7mm-08 and taken bear and mountain goat my 12 yr old nephew got a moose with a .308 tikka compact.

They both kill animals but the tikka is nicer.

JoeDirt

WKR
But the stupid things tend to shoot well.....you gotta give em that.

It did shoot pretty good! For how cheap it was the bolt cycling and trigger were better than a lot of higher priced rifles. I wish there were more bolt on aftermarket stocks for that gun. I was about a week away from ordering a chassis for it before a buddy made me and offer on it.

BAKPAKR

WKR
I was going to get a Tikka T3X Lite Compact for my daughter but when I found a RAR Compact in 243 Winchester and pink Muddy Girl Camo for the closeout price of around $180 plus tax, I could not pass it up. It shoots three 100 gr Remington Core-Lokts or three of my 90 gr ELD-X reduced loads into less than an inch. It also has a 1:9” twist compared to the Tikka’s 1:10” so it should, in theory, shoot heavier bullets better.

I will admit that the rifle and the magazine do feel cheap. Also, the action on the RAR is not nearly as smooth as the Tikka’s.

Last edited:
Fit, finish, feel hands down tikka
Accuracy dead even
If you don't mind the crudeness of the "zipper" action, the ruger is hard to beat for the price. Spend more on glass. Or buy the tikka and still SPEND MORE ON GLASS. lol.

My american predator is sitting under a little 2.5-10 NF. It's a varmint killing machine.

I picked up a Ruger American Compact as an ultralight/compact rifle for myself years ago, and my wife uses a Tikka Compact. I could list quite a few differences but the most relevant, in my opinion, the butt stock is real narrow and the recoil feels noticeably bigger than it should.

16Bore

WKR
Fit, finish, feel hands down tikka
Accuracy dead even
If you don't mind the crudeness of the "zipper" action, the ruger is hard to beat for the price. Spend more on glass. Or buy the tikka and still SPEND MORE ON GLASS. lol.

My american predator is sitting under a little 2.5-10 NF. It's a varmint killing machine.

I was thinking it was more like a fat guy in corduroy pants.

I have a couple of tikkas and a couple Rugers. I think they are on different levels. The ruger is a great value gun. Shoots well enough and the price is right. As much gun as they can deliver for $500. The tikka to me is the bargain brand in the top tier of “stock” rifles. It performs on par with +$1000 versions of Remington, browning, etc at a lower price point.

My 6.5 tx3 light had become my main hunting rig. It is a tack driver and functions beautiful. Outshoots some kimbers and brownings my buddies have without a lick of gunsmithing. I tend to think they are the best value in a bolt gun that is available.

OP
F
Ended up getting a weatherby vanguard compact in 6.5cm factory second for a smoking price. Sweet little rifle a little heavy but nice. Thanks for all your help

16Bore

WKR
Monty, I’ll take door #3....

Post up some rifle pics/targets to finish the story.