Ruger American options....

robtattoo

WKR
So, I just picked up a Ruger American compact in .223. I've been looking for one for a while as an upgrade to my old, beater Axis .223
I've been looking for a cheap 1:8 twist for a while.
Obviously it's the standard, awful rotary mag & frankly, that's gotta go. I'm trying to figure out my best, all round stock option.

My options seem to be, to either pick up a Predator stock with the AICS magazine well upgrade (tons on eBay, cheap & cheerful) or go balls-out with a chassis.

I've never owned, or shot, a chassis before & it seems like a minefield of spendables.
I've looked at the Oryx & ew. No. Ugly as a mud fence. Not sure how something that expensive can look so cheap, but it's just awful. That basically leaves (I think) MDT & while I don't mind spending the money, I feel like imma have to spend half a much again to get a decent grip & butt.

Anyone got an opinion, one way or t'other? I'm kinda reluctant to spend $150 on another Tupperware number & then regret it later, but at the same time it seems silly to spend $600 on a $300 rifle.

I really can't decide.

PsRpOiGrRiAtM

Lil-Rokslider
Magpul, Boyds, or Bell and Carlson. Those are pretty much your choices. I've been really curious about the Bell and Carlson, and I think they look great, but I don't want to spend ~$350 on a $350 rifle.

OP
robtattoo

robtattoo

WKR
Do B&C offer their stock with the AICS magwell yet? I thought they only did them for the rotary?

It's not so much the stock I'm really looking to replace, as much as the godawful magazine. It's too dang short. There's no way to load anything heavier than 62gn without jamming so much bullet into the case that I'm losing velocity due to capacity limitation.

The more I think about it, the heavier I'm leaning towards a chassis.

Sorry, but the Magpul stock looks like it was designed by a 14 year old that just read Soldier of Fortune. I'm sure it's great, but an uglier lump of plastic I have never seen.

PsRpOiGrRiAtM

Lil-Rokslider
Do B&C offer their stock with the AICS magwell yet? I thought they only did them for the rotary?

It's not so much the stock I'm really looking to replace, as much as the godawful magazine. It's too dang short. There's no way to load anything heavier than 62gn without jamming so much bullet into the case that I'm losing velocity due to capacity limitation.

The more I think about it, the heavier I'm leaning towards a chassis.

Sorry, but the Magpul stock looks like it was designed by a 14 year old that just read Soldier of Fortune. I'm sure it's great, but an uglier lump of plastic I have never seen.
Sorry, spaced that part. Boyd’s might be the only other option.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
Pick up a predator stock and shoot away. I have a predator and they're probably the best quality stock on a budget rifle I've seen.

I dont think you have to buy the grip and butt separate on this one. Ive been eyeballing for my tikka.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
robtattoo

robtattoo

WKR
Pick up a predator stock and shoot away. I have a predator and they're probably the best quality stock on a budget rifle I've seen.
99.9% leaning in that direction right now. I can get the AICS conversion from Ruger for $30 & that'll solve 100% of my issues.

CBB1

Lil-Rokslider
Are guys referring to the stock on the Ruger Predator? How is it different?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PsRpOiGrRiAtM

Lil-Rokslider
Are guys referring to the stock on the Ruger Predator? How is it different?

The newer AICS versions of the Ruger Americans have stocks that are a direct swap, and then you can utilize the AICS style magazines. My .308 Americans have the upgraded rotary mags, and are just fine, but AICS style is definitely a more attractive and proven option.

Dan M

WKR
Magpul, Boyds, or Bell and Carlson. Those are pretty much your choices. I've been really curious about the Bell and Carlson, and I think they look great, but I don't want to spend ~$350 on a $350 rifle.

I bought the B&C for a 18” compact .308 Ruger American for kids or as an occasional leave in the truck backup rifle. Generally speaking I don’t like B&C sticks but it works and shoulders pretty well. The recoil pad is decent which helps on this setup. If I remember correctly the B&C ends up quite a bit lighter than the Magpul setup, although you’re still stuck with the factory magazine issue.

Not sure I’m offering any value here other than to say that I bought a B&C for a similar gun and I’m fairly pleased.

JustiSmi

FNG
MDT Oryx is also adding a 'Field Stock' that looks very similar to the MDT XRS that they are coming out with. From what they are saying, supposed to be lighter than their chassis, and priced budget minded. Should be available later this summer.

My brother has the Magpul stock on his, and that is another solid option that I like.

Had a Boyds, got my money back after the laminate split around the rear action screw on my savage. They don't install pillars in the rear action for Savage 110 actions. Good service, but doubt I'll go that way again anytime soon.

OP
robtattoo

robtattoo

WKR
Post pics when it's set up!
Unfortunately, it's not going to work.
I found out that the chassis is only compatible with .308 size mags. .223 mags don't fit & the internal reducer kit you can buy to convert, make the magazine 2.25" which is a quarter inch too damn short for heavier bullets 🤬

Would those predator stocks fit the compact barrel or would they be too wide? I also have an American compact I'm looking to get a new stock on. I'm tempted to try a predator stock but not if they are channeled for a heavier barrel.

OP
robtattoo

robtattoo

WKR
Would those predator stocks fit the compact barrel or would they be too wide? I also have an American compact I'm looking to get a new stock on. I'm tempted to try a predator stock but not if they are channeled for a heavier barrel.

Perfectly.
That's exactly what I have.
20220318_141633.jpg

Reactions: pk_