Ruger American Predator vs. the Savage Axis vs. the Mossberg Patriot

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
Now, full disclosure, while I am looking at another Axis .308, I am also looking at buying a 300 Win Mag in Tikka and customizing it with a new fiberglass bedded stock, premo scope, Cerakote finish, etc.
If you only shoot factory ammo you'll be fine but if you reload Tikka will limit you on a true LA round.

Ratbeetle

WKR
I wouldn’t buy a mossberg rifle. Heavy.

Have a Ruger American and it is a 1/2 inch gun. Why would i “upgrade”?

That's where I'm at. My Americans shoot very, very well. I just don't see the point of "upgrading" to end up with a gun that might shoot as well as these already do.

More aftermarket stock options would be nice though.

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
If you only shoot factory ammo you'll be fine but if you reload Tikka will limit you on a true LA round.
Unfortunately I don't reload. Only factory loads for me.

1. I don't have the equipment to reload or the chronograph to chart all of this & then wade through the data.
2. Never learned how to reload/nor had a mentor show me
3. Part of me doesn't trust myself. I mean we're talking about an explosion of a quarter inch projectile, pushed through a quarter inch tube going 3000 fps....kinda scary to trust myself to make that happen.
4. The last thing I need to do is spend more money on another hobby

😆😆

A.hol1

Lil-Rokslider
Tikka by far the best fit and finish if you can save a few more bucks. I bought a Howa 1500 barreled action on Brownells last year in 6 Creedmoor and waited for a chassis to go on sale for Black Friday and that thing is a tack driver for about $900 with mediocre optics. I also have a ruger American in .270 and it’s a shooter like all the others. It’s rough compared to the others though. Because of that I like that one for deep woods gun because it can’t get any uglier!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
TNHunter18
I just wanted to update and let everyone know what I ended up getting. I came across someone selling a Tikka T3x in 6.5 Creedmore never fired for $550 so ended up buying that. Not the exact caliber I wanted but haven't heard bad things about the 6.5 so I couldn't pass it up.

Now I need to go down the optics road and see what I want to use on it.

Pilsner

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the Backfire YT channel for info on current production Mossberg rifles.
TL;DR piece of shit even after a factory warranty new barrel. I have an older one that works fine but it's nothing to write home about. I consider it a loaner utility rifle.
Avoid the axis I in favor of the Axis II (accutrigger).
Of your choices I'd go RAP or save more for a Howa or Tikka.

OP
TNHunter18
Check out the Backfire YT channel for info on current production Mossberg rifles.
TL;DR piece of shit even after a factory warranty new barrel. I have an older one that works fine but it's nothing to write home about. I consider it a loaner utility rifle.
Avoid the axis I in favor of the Axis II (accutrigger).
Of your choices I'd go RAP or save more for a Howa or Tikka.
Thank you. I ended up purchasing a Tikka T3 in 6.5 Creedmore.

robtattoo

WKR
I've had several Axiseses over the years. Factory, custom built, the works. Every one of them has been silly accurate with every load, in every chambering. But the stock is abysmal. The Axis II with the accutrigger is worth the extra, if you're not handy, or confident about doing some trigger work. If you are, the original trigger can be made phenomenal. The only reason I don't have one right now as a knockaround is because I gave it to a friend's kid as his first gun.

I currently do have a RAPish (cobbled together myself) & the stock is OK, the barrel is accurate enough (more testing needed, good twist in 223 though) the action took some smoothing out, my chamber looked to have been cut by a one armed 9 year old & the trigger is hands down the worst I've ever felt on any rifle, ever.
However..... It suits my purpose better than the Savage & all the problems/niggles are personal to me & I'm happy to fix & figure them out. Nothing a little cash & work can't sort. It'll still end up being significantly cheaper than the Tikka, with a better mag in a compacter-er package.

Mossberg make shotguns. That's all I have to say about that.

Deywalker

FNG
Glad you found a great deal on a good gun. I'm surprised how well the axis is doing for people. I had a model 10 and it was the only gun I've ever disliked enough to get rid of. It would jam if you looked at the bolt wrong.