Ruger American Ranch 7.62x39 - Initial Impressions

BigWoods

WKR
For the better part of the past year I've been toying with picking up a CZ 527 in 7.62x39 as something of a compliment to my Kimber Classic in 308...something light, short and handy to carry around the brush while being cheap to shoot. A couple things kept holding me back from jumping on one. First being that their 5rd magazine protrudes significantly at the balance point making single hand carry somewhat difficult. Second, I wanted something a that I could grab on the really nasty days when I didn't want to take the nice Kimber out and the CZ is just a bit too nice for that. Well two weeks ago, Hickok45 posted a video of the Ruger American Ranch in 7.62x39 and I was convinced. Rifle appeared to have all the handiness of the 527 Carbine, but the 5rd mini 30 magazines only stick out a bit and at $200 less with a synthetic stock, this will go well in the nasties. The same day Sportman's Outdoor Superstore had them on sale for $420 shipped; order placed!

Rifle arrived at my FFL on Thursday and i received it Friday. I also purchased an extra 5rd magazine for $30 and 80rds of Tula Ammo. Taking it home I cleaned the packing oil off, relieved the barrel channel a bit (had to do more after shooting it), lowered the trigger pull weight down (which feels pretty good), and mounted a Vortex Venom mini red dot on it (which I pulled from the Glock 40 MOS that I'm selling to fund the purchase) which seems to be a perfect match for this little rifle. The lower comb of the stock, which seems to be a common complaint about the rifle for scope users, works perfectly with the little red dot. With a magazine in and the red dot mounted the rifle weighs 6lb 1oz.
View attachment 59415

As for fit and finish, its nice where it needs to be, but won't be mistaken for a $800 rifle. Bolt is pretty smooth and is getting smoother from my incessant fiddling with it. Trigger is really pretty crisp. There are some rough edges from molding that were easily knocked off with some 400 grit sandpaper. As mentioned, the barrel channel needed to be relieved to freefloat.

View attachment 59416
After the initial work over, I took it to the range to have some fun with it. When the magazine is loaded, the bolt takes a bit more deliberation to work. The sight dialed in quick at 25yds at which point I went back to 100yds to fire one 5rd group (since my 3 year old son started begging to go home). With steel cased Tula and a red dot, all rounds went in to 3.5". The first hit right on the bullseye with the remaining 4 landing within 2.5" of each other a bit low and to the right. I think that might have been due to the barrel warming up and making contact with the non yet sufficiently relieved barrel channel. For the first group with cheap ammo, I'd say I'm pretty happy with that. The second magazine at the 100yd line broke a series of clays. The gun points fast and has just enough weight from the heavy-but-short barrel to hang well and be stable. In a word; it is a hoot to shoot.
IMG_20171013_133647092_HDR.jpg

I'm hoping to acquire some of the Hornady SST loads, throw a scope on and try to see what I can wring out for accuracy - I'm sure there's a lot more here. Thus far, I think this rifle will be a great compliment to the Kimber in the deer woods and I can see it being that go-to rifle when I just want to have a good time at the range.
IMG_20171013_152127106_HDR.jpg

As a side note, the rifle has just about convinced me to chop the Kimber's barrel back a few inches.

Last edited:
OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
Well I made it back out to the range this afternoon to do a bit more work on paper, using Tula Ammo. The first group went about 3.5", but that was with a fowler shot and me trying to figure out how to precisely shoot a 3 MOA red dot at 100 yards. I gave the sight a bit of adjustment then shot the bottom left target. Second group went 2.5"...still figuring this out. This target seems to work well as the bulls-eyes are each 3" and orange - so basically when they disappear, I'm good to go. I Gave it an inch correction down and then shot the top two targets both of which went 1.3". To say the least; I'm very impressed!
View attachment 59528

The bolt has smoothed out considerably - not that it was ever particularly rough, and the trigger has settled in very nicely. The tiny bit of perceptible creep that was noticeable at first has all but vanished with a few hundred dry fires.