Ruger American

Good, inexpensive shooter that you wont cry over if you beat up.
Like others have said, fit and finish are lacking a little, but nothing to cry about when she shoots sub moa.

Phineas

FNG
I have no complaints about the stock trigger on mine. Breaks like a glass rod at about 4 pounds.

Phineas

FNG
I think the thing with Ruger Americans is there’s some inconsistency, so you need to give the rifle you’re looking at a good once over before you buy it. I had to send one back because the bore was 10 thousandths off center...not good if you’re using a suppressor, and I’ve seen a few at gun shops where the barrel finish faded between mat and gloss along the barrel, which I’ve never seen before, I’d give it a good once over, maybe try the trigger, before I plunked down. Mine turned out great. Apparently some others didn’t.

j33

WKR
Buddy has one, shoots good but by round 100 it needed a new barrel.... Ruger took care of it but he missed it for the fall season and still waiting, been 9 months so far.

Good gun but in my opinion I think you are better off finding a higher quality one like a Browning or Tikka. My Winchester XPR was cheaper than his and shoots/feels better, not as lightweight though.

Mine might be the most accurate rifle I have ever shot.
Yep. I had 4 rifles in 6.5 cm. A Tikka t3x (the extra light one with fluted barrel), savage 16 light weight one (5.6lb one), browning hells canyon speed, and a ruger American with threaded barrel. I sold off the Tikka and the Browning. That American shoots better than any of them. Amazing how well it shoots for the price.

Carolina91

Lil-Rokslider
Ive got a friend who owns a Ruger American 6.5 cm that out shoots $3000 customs at competitions.

Lowg08

WKR
I love mine in 308. No complaints from me. I’m actually looking at a 7mm-08 compact for my son to upgrade him from his 243

Carolina91

Lil-Rokslider
I love mine in 308. No complaints from me. I’m actually looking at a 7mm-08 compact for my son to upgrade him from his 243
I work at Ruger and was a supervisor on the American line and i am a huge 7mm-08 fan but i would highly getting the regular sized 7mm-08 unless your son is very young or very short. I have a model 7 7mm08 and have a lot of issues shooting that gun now that i am older (5 ft 10). The difference between the standard and compact is very marginal( stock being much smaller is more noticeable than the 2 extra inches) and the full size allows him to really grow into it. My wife shoots a full size 243 comfortably and shes 5'2".

Lowg08

WKR
My boy is almost twelve and 4’11” &102lbs. I was just looking at weight too. I’m not sure if he is small for his age or not?
I work at Ruger and was a supervisor on the American line and i am a huge 7mm-08 fan but i would highly getting the regular sized 7mm-08 unless your son is very young or very short. I have a model 7 7mm08 and have a lot of issues shooting that gun now that i am older (5 ft 10). The difference between the standard and compact is very marginal( stock being much smaller is more noticeable than the 2 extra inches) and the full size allows him to really grow into it. My wife shoots a full size 243 comfortably and shes 5'2".

kkp005

WKR
For the money they are fantastic.. Just don’t expect the fit/finish to be perfect on a $450 gun. Every Ruger American I’ve shot has been sub MOA.

Carolina91

Lil-Rokslider
Buddy has one, shoots good but by round 100 it needed a new barrel.... Ruger took care of it but he missed it for the fall season and still waiting, been 9 months so far.

Good gun but in my opinion I think you are better off finding a higher quality one like a Browning or Tikka. My Winchester XPR was cheaper than his and shoots/feels better, not as lightweight though.
He has been waiting on an American for 9 months? Our normal turnaround on that gun is like 4 days. Did he send it to Mayodan NC or Newport NH?

j33

WKR
He has been waiting on an American for 9 months? Our normal turnaround on that gun is like 4 days. Did he send it to Mayodan NC or Newport NH?
Sent it to the Canada distributor in September, they took a few months to tell him he needed a new barrel and they had to order one. Gun is being shipped back, likely show due to the crappy Canada representation?

Carolina91

Lil-Rokslider
Sent it to the Canada distributor in September, they took a few months to tell him he needed a new barrel and they had to order one. Gun is being shipped back, likely show due to the crappy Canada representation?
Yeah has to be on the distributor, i wouldve thought they would send the whole gun back we normally do all of the repairs in house.

Comanche1

FNG
I bought a Predator in 6.5 CM on 6/30. It will shoot 1/2 to 3/4 MOA groups all day long and very little change in POI from cold to hot. Shot out to 600 yds so far. When I started loading more than 2 rounds in the mag it would jam... bullet hitting back of barrel like described by someone else previously. After working with Ruger a couple of weeks and trying new mags, they requested the rifle back. Left on Monday 8/9. Got email Friday 8/13 that they were going to send me a new rifle. I had suspected the loading ramp in the receiver was the problem and that was confirmed today. Sure hope the new one will shoot as good as the last one.

gjs4

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a Predator in 6.5 CM on 6/30. It will shoot 1/2 to 3/4 MOA groups all day long and very little change in POI from cold to hot. Shot out to 600 yds so far. When I started loading more than 2 rounds in the mag it would jam... bullet hitting back of barrel like described by someone else previously. After working with Ruger a couple of weeks and trying new mags, they requested the rifle back. Left on Monday 8/9. Got email Friday 8/13 that they were going to send me a new rifle. I had suspected the loading ramp in the receiver was the problem and that was confirmed today. Sure hope the new one will shoot as good as the last one.

Sad thing is my 6 and 6.5 both are lousy loaders from the mag- looked past it for their accuracy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comanche1

FNG
Sad thing is my 6 and 6.5 both are lousy loaders from the mag- looked past it for their accuracy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would have too, except that I need something that will shoot 5 rounds quickly to effectively thin the hogs that are rooting my place up.

I have 3. All three shoot better then my Christian arms.
I have three because one .308 is set up to shoot sub sonic with a suppressor around the house. ( it’s legal )
One .308 stays at the camp.
Then I bought a .300black out to shoot sub sonic and suppressed but normally shoot my .308.

My only complaint is just how cheap they feal. However I’m shooting touching groups at 100 yds.

Bama67

FNG
I have 4 of them. All of them shoot sub-moa easily.

My .308 cost $289 and is the most accurate rifle that I've ever owned outside of a 6BR Savage Benchrest rifle. That includes rifles 6-8 times the price.
On multiple occasions I have shot 1/4" groups with a 12 power Burris Fullfield II. This is a 6lb, $300 dollar rifle, it's amazing.

My $299 .243 will also shoot 1/2 MOA groups with factory Federal Fusion.

My Ranch rifle in 556/223 is also a half MOA gun, and my suppressed 300 BLK is a hair over that.

They simply cannot be beat for the money.

I still look at, and want, more expensive rifles, and I would be thrilled if they shoot as well as the cheap Rugers I already own. lol

I have an American Ranch in 5.56, and it as accurate as any rifle I have ever shot. Makes tiny groups.

The rifle does look and feel cheap though. That's why it costs less than $400 NIB.

I had one in 30-06 that I believe was one of the early models. The roughest action I have ever experienced. Constantly catching and causing me headaches. It also didn’t group well for me, granted I was shooting low end factory ammo because I didnt want to invest much time and money into considering I did not enjoy shooting it. Sold it promptly. I was confused by all the raving review I have seen on these rifles, so I handled one in the gun store recently. I will say the action was ASTRONOMICALLY better than the one I had. I could have had a lemon or a crappy early model.