Ruger American

TylerS105

FNG
What do you guys think about Ruger American? I was looking at buying a 308 and this seemed like a decent gun. I want to know what you dislike and like, or if you guys think there are better brands around the same budget?

I have one in 6.5 manbun that's served me well. My biggest complaint is no one really makes a good stock for it. McMillan did a limited run and there is a Magpul stock that's functionally good but heavy. So it's kind of fix up the stock it comes with or go to a chassis. Other than that I like mine.

Fordguy

WKR
Boyds makes a decent laminate stock, if a little heavy.

The Ruger is an excellent, accurate, if utilitarian choice. The bolt isn't smooth from the factory, but it gets better with use, and there will probably be some tooling/machine marks on the steel. Trigger is adjustable, most have a threaded barrel. For the price or even twice the price you're not likely to find anything more functional or accurate.

They are a no frills, accurate, budget rifle. I bought one for my daughter in 6mm creedmore and its crazy how accurate it is for a cheap beater gun. I bought my nephew one in 223 and its the same, super accurate fun gun to shoot. The stock isnt great but it works. The trigger is decent, again nothing about the gun wows me but they just function.

I have one in 7mm08 that shoots clover leafs with almost any decent factory ammo. I'm impressed with it everytime I shoot it.

homers

WKR
I have owned 2; very accurate, decent budget rifle. If you go in knowing this and not complaining it doesn't have as nice a stock as a $800 rifle, as nice a trigger, etc you'll enjoy it. If you start upgrading everything, you might as well have bought the next level up. Very light weight as well - nice for hunting but recoil is a bit more at the bench.

The only problem I have with the Ruger American is that they are not as "budget" as they used to be.

My wife's Predator version in .243 shoots just about everything it is fed with accuracy greater than it should from a $350 rifle (which is what I paid for it when I bought it).

JEEF

FNG
I'll chime in on this, I bought my Ruger American 270 win the first year they came out (2012 I think?). Family has always been big on Rugers so I thought it'd be fitting for my first firearm purchase back when I was still a teenager. It served me super well and performed in all situations. I think I look at it as a great entry level gun, it probably still is a better shooter than I am but I wanted new bells and whistles so I recently went with a Weatherby.

Gwchem

Lil-Rokslider
I have the predator version in .308.

While I don't love the shorter barrel, it's very accurate. It's my deer stand gun, so it doesn't get carried far. The Magpul stock is heavy, but much better than the oem plastic.

Fordguy

WKR
I have the predator version in .308.

While I don't love the shorter barrel, it's very accurate. It's my deer stand gun, so it doesn't get carried far. The Magpul stock is heavy, but much better than the oem plastic.
Out of curiosity, what don't you like about the 18" barrel?

My son has one in 308, elk don't like it. It shoots about 1 MOA with just about any ammo, it's really light and a great value given what they cost.

Last edited:

WormSportsman

Lil-Rokslider
In that budget range you can’t go wrong with a Ruger. Nothing fancy but not heavy and they shoot well out of the box. Have a 6.5creedmoor in it and a 5.56 ranch rifle and both are fun to shoot.

Cali hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Great rifles the stock is flimsy and the rotary mags will fail with in a few seasons. That being said mags are cheap. I buy a new one for $25ish every few years. I start with one in The hole And always loads the first 1 one in the mag for follow ups. Then the spring hangs up and fails to load. There is videos how to take it apart and give it another twist.

BrentH

WKR
Great rifles the stock is flimsy and the rotary mags will fail with in a few seasons. That being said mags are cheap. I buy a new one for $25ish every few years. I start with one in The hole And always loads the first 1 one in the mag for follow ups. Then the spring hangs up and fails to load. There is videos how to take it apart and give it another twist.
My son’s Ruger American Compact in 6.5cm does that and he’s only had it one season. Otherwise, it’s a great little rifle.

Mechanicsburg

Lil-Rokslider
I have 3 calibers. 300 blackout, 22, and 6.5 cm. Accurate and fair to carry. What I don’t like at all is the bolt won’t lock shut on safety .