Ruger Blackhawk vs Redhawk in .44

Looking to pick up a handgun for carrying while hiking/bowhunting/living in bear country (NW Montana)
Looking for thoughts and opinions of the super blackhawk vs redhawk lines from Ruger.

I'm aware one is SA and the other is DA - leaning towards the blackhawk for weight and recoil management as I almost always shoot SA anyway...

Thoughts or first hand opinions?

sounds like a plan. 1st pistol I ever shot other than a .22 was a super blackhawk. Loved that thing. Sad when my dad sold it. Assuming it is a bit lighter than the redhawk.

Personally seems like a lot of gun for a just in case. I would probably just do bear spray and a .45 shooting some kind of fmj, but I am the furthest from an expert when it comes to that kind of stuff.

WKR
Should you actually have to use the gun for self defense, I cannot imagine SA being a good idea. You have the option to do either in the Redhawk, so I would only consider the DA option.

I carry the SRH Alaskan in Ruger .480. Great bear gun/cartridge. Would like it to be lighter, otherwise, perfect bear handgun IMO.

Muttly

WKR
For hunting, I,m all for the Blackhawk. For a defensive gun, would lean towards DA with the more indexed grip. I tend to pull my shots to the left with a Blackhawk, fully acknowledge it,s the shooter, not the gun.
If you can, try both in the same caliber, see which one has a more natural point of aim for you.?..
And again, it is a problem with form on my part that I have a tendency to pull my shots to the left, no problem with the gun itself..

muleman

WKR
Choosing DA or SA is a tough personal decision. Lots of opinions rivalling thoughts on calibers, gundogs, religion and politics.

I personally use a 4 or 5 inch DA in either .41 Mag or 454 Casull. Even though I have both DA and SA revolvers in those calibers on either side of the .44 Mag. DA allows me to hammer the trigger under stress. Just like I won't have CC gun with a manual safety. When under extreme stress I try and give myself ever advantage. My defensive DA revolvers barrels are shorter than their SA brothers in the same caliber. I wear the DAs below a bino harness in a chest holster. My SA revolvers would have to be run in a belt or bandolier holster because of barrel length and interference with clearing the bino harness during the draw.

Here is a interesting article where they ran the Tueller Drill with a bear target on the sled. They were using a 5.5" .44 Mag Redhawk with this (fun / non-Scientific) experiment and were able to get 3 head shots in 1.5 seconds.
http://www.gunsandammo.com/reviews/ruger-redhawk-revolver-review/

If I was set on a .44 Mag Super Blackhawk for lower 48 woods self defense I would consider this one.
http://ruger.com/products/newModelSuperBlackhawkStandard/specSheets/0817.html

Ray

WKR
I've drawn my old blackhawk a few times under stress and getting a second shot off gets complicated when you only have one hand to operate the weapon. SA pistols shoot fast when you have both hands - off hand thumb is really important - and if you loose the use of the off hand you have a single shot pistol with built in ammo storage.

I love my short barrel redhawk. SA or DA with one hand, even with the HSM bear loads its not an issue. I am a middle aged desk jockey with small weak hands and a redhawk is the only pistol and I enjoy shooting what ever ammo I toss in. S&W .44 hurt way too much.

Fjelljeger

Lil-Rokslider
I ended up choosing the DA Ruger Redhawk .44 with 5.5in barrel. The DA seemed to make the most sense in a defensive weapon. Can always shoot it SA if you want. Also chose the 5.5in barrel to get more out of the magnum round then say a short 2.5in.

N2TRKYS

WKR
The first pistol I ever bought is a Ruger Super Redhawk 44 mag with a 7.5" barrel. I've killed a few whitetails with it. I love this pistol, however, I'd hate to know that I would have to take it into the backcountry. For that setup, I'd opt for a Glock 10mm.

I know that none of what I said above has anything to do with the OP's post. Lol

I, too, would choose the double action over the single action. You can shoot a double action as a single, but not the other way around.

elkguide

WKR
Having owned both, I would opt for the Redhawk.

I carried a 6" barreled Redhawk .44 mag for 10 years in the Wyoming back country while I guided. Pulled it several times but fortunately the Grizz turned at the right time each close encounter.

hodgeman

WKR
I'm a big fan of the Blackhawk for an outdoors gun.

DA/SA/Auto....who cares? You will devolve to the level of your training anyway. Nothing wrong with a single action if you practice with a single action. I like the lighter weight and general durability as compared to a DA in the bigger bores.

OP
rileybassman
Good thoughts, thanks so far everyone. The Redhawk makes the most sense as having the most options (SA or DA), but I am drawn to the blackhawk more it feels like - maybe the traditional aspect idk. I need to just get them both in hand I think and go from there.

How are you all carrying them? I am leaning towards a chest rig I think... suggestions?

wncbrewer

Lil-Rokslider
I would have looked at smith and Wesson too. I have a 4" 629 and it carries much nicer than my 5 1/2" super Blackhawk. I also think the grip frame makes recoil more manageable even though it's a shorter barrel. I don't believe the smiths are rated for the super hot bear loads however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fjelljeger

Lil-Rokslider
I carry the Redhawk 5.5in in a Blade-Tech kydex holster with Tek-Lok attachment. It is carried cross draw on the Bikini frame hip belt (the one with single row of PALs on the "floating" strip of webbing. The Tek-Lok allows quick easy transfer from the pack hip belt to your pants belt so there is no leaving your handgun with your pack issue. Been using Blade-Tech products for 10 years (all day everyday) and never had any problems with them. In fact when I first bought the Redhawk, Blade-Tech didn't make a holster for the 5.5in but they took my call and developed one that they are still selling now. Great company and no I don't have any affiliation with them. Just have trusted their products for when it counts.

wncbrewer

Lil-Rokslider
I guess I should get with the times. I carry the 629 in a leather pancake rig from El Paso saddlery in Texas and love it, but my brother has been telling me about the wonders of kydex for a couple years now.

Muttly

WKR
Don,t believe you neccessarily need super hot for a bear load, 1100 fps, 300-310 grain flat nose, fairly hard cast, should penetrate bear noggin, or shoulder.. After a certain point, more speed gives you a flatter trajectory, which is great for distance. 110 is great for the full roar haulin ass loads. Prefer Accurate #9 for a defensive load myself. Little less thunder and lightning outa the barrel, and my ears have been ringing mostly non stop for three years already..
Little less muzzle flip, recoil, slightly more controllable.

OP
rileybassman
I would have looked at smith and Wesson too. I have a 4" 629 and it carries much nicer than my 5 1/2" super Blackhawk. I also think the grip frame makes recoil more manageable even though it's a shorter barrel. I don't believe the smiths are rated for the super hot bear loads however.

Thought about it, but i want to be able to shoot full power loads... i have heard that then smith isnt as tough in the frame and cylinder as the ruger...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Muttly

WKR
Usually carrying a 5" S&W 629 myself, 44 Mag, but there is no denying that the Ruger Redhawk is a stronger gun, WAY better choice for full house loads. Some pretty skookum guns, from 7 1/2 down to a 2 3/4" snubby in Redhawk, and the Super Redhawks are even more of a good thing!
And the Super Redhawks would usually be a scoshe heavier..

wncbrewer

Lil-Rokslider
Don,t believe you neccessarily need super hot for a bear load, 1100 fps, 300-310 grain flat nose, fairly hard cast, should penetrate bear noggin, or shoulder.. After a certain point, more speed gives you a flatter trajectory, which is great for distance. 110 is great for the full roar haulin ass loads. Prefer Accurate #9 for a defensive load myself. Little less thunder and lightning outa the barrel, and my ears have been ringing mostly non stop for three years already..
Little less muzzle flip, recoil, slightly more controllable.

Agree totally. I don't reload much anymore, but I was raised along the Elmer Keith school of thought (24 grains of 2400 behind a big chunk of lead) not even sure if you can still get 2400. I should say that I still really like the ruger revolvers. Both single and double action, though I feel like most need a trigger job out of the box. The smith just gets the nod for tote-ability

I don't like the weight of the super Blackhawk in my hand. I find it a bit unwieldy, so I sold mine & bought the Blackhawk in .45 convertible (.45 acp & long colt) wields much better & I shoot it more accurately. Handloads of 300 cast @ about 1050 fps. The .45 is 5 or 6 oz. lighter than the .44 sbh. Having said all that, I too think the double action is better for self defense, but the single action still stops bear attacks.

husky390

WKR
You can always find a good deal on used Blackhawk .44's that have had a box shot through them and that's because most people do not like the recoil. If you have big hands or plan to shoot a lot of high powered loads, I'd choose the Redhawk. I have big hands and have owned several Blackhawks and they're cool to shoot but from the SA nostalgia standpoint but that's it for me. I still have a .41 mag w/ a 4 5/8" barrel and if I shoot it with anything that is remotely hot, my trigger finger will get cut by the trigger guard. The only drawback to the Redhawk or the Alaskan is weight. Which is why I now carry a G20 but I don't have to worry about big bears in CO. Another option is the 329PD from S&W but recoil will be stout with hot loads. YRMV.