Ruger Blackhawk vs Redhawk in .44

You may have already made your selection and decision. These kind of things can go Round and Round. I'll just pass on my small Sample Set of one. I shot a bear with a 480 Ruger revolver. I intentionally used Hard Cast bullets. A 385gr WFN type design. I was thoroughly unimpressed with the results as was the bear. I will never go that route again after that experience. I've read about cast bullets for a long time and kinda bought into the hype. I'm done. I've fought with them for consistency and accuracy for years in 45LC, 454 Casull and 475 Linebaugh/480 Ruger. Only my opinion, but I think modern technology has surpassed the 1890s finally. I have recently tried a 300 Hornady XTP in .452" for the pictured 4.2" Ruger Redhawk. Things came together very well, rather than searching for an accurate load that was consistent. And I feel the XTP will give me BOTH the penetration and expansion that was lacking in the 385gn .475" bullet.

I don't think there is much argument in the 45LC being a pretty superior round (only reloaded to Ruger specs) vs the .44 Magnum. But if you are not a hand loader, you will be much better served by factory ammo in the .44 Mag.

Both chambering are available in the 4.2" Redhawk. And I do think the Double Action is the logical and smart direction to head for what you've described. I've shot many grip frames....the Bisley, the Blackhawk, the Freedom Arms and the Redhawk. They all suck when you start adding powder. Think the Freedom Arms was probably my favorite followed by the Super Redhawk.
P5231360_zpsd52h1i9k.jpg

OP
rileybassman
You may have already made your selection and decision. These kind of things can go Round and Round. I'll just pass on my small Sample Set of one. I shot a bear with a 480 Ruger revolver. I intentionally used Hard Cast bullets. A 385gr WFN type design. I was thoroughly unimpressed with the results as was the bear. I will never go that route again after that experience. I've read about cast bullets for a long time and kinda bought into the hype. I'm done. I've fought with them for consistency and accuracy for years in 45LC, 454 Casull and 475 Linebaugh/480 Ruger. Only my opinion, but I think modern technology has surpassed the 1890s finally. I have recently tried a 300 Hornady XTP in .452" for the pictured 4.2" Ruger Redhawk. Things came together very well, rather than searching for an accurate load that was consistent. And I feel the XTP will give me BOTH the penetration and expansion that was lacking in the 385gn .475" bullet.

I don't think there is much argument in the 45LC being a pretty superior round (only reloaded to Ruger specs) vs the .44 Magnum. But if you are not a hand loader, you will be much better served by factory ammo in the .44 Mag.

Both chambering are available in the 4.2" Redhawk. And I do think the Double Action is the logical and smart direction to head for what you've described. I've shot many grip frames....the Bisley, the Blackhawk, the Freedom Arms and the Redhawk. They all suck when you start adding powder. Think the Freedom Arms was probably my favorite followed by the Super Redhawk.
P5231360_zpsd52h1i9k.jpg

Good info... I have kind of wondered if the cast bullet thing is/was blown out of proportion at times... I know penetration is a good thing, but you are right, bullet technology has come a long way. I am a big fan of mono-metal bullets for that reason.

What specs are you getting out of your .45lc? I had read basically what you have said several years back, but didn't handload at the time so forgot about it... I do reload now, so it may be an option...

I won't be making a decision for a couple months yet, so I have time to think and research.

Thanks!

muleman

WKR
I'm thinking a 4.2" .45 Colt (like Jesse's) could be a mighty fine woods self defense gun. Handy and easily carried, a little heavy though. You would be able to load stout Ruger Only .45 Colt loads when needed and have have fun shooting normal pressure .45 Colt ammo. Just thinking about it makes me want one....

attachment.php

Last edited:
My Redhawk above is "chunky". I have no means to weigh it, but it's "noticeable".

Again....I have no "Credentials" to speak of re: stopping charging bears. But after Fing around with various calibers in pistols....I quickly found out it's easy to get too much of a good thing. Recoil becomes substantial quickly. And flinching often occurs. Just load your buddies cylinder and slide an empty case or two into the cylinder when you latch it for him. Be quickly apparent when the handgun goes CLICK as it's thrust toward the ground.

The 45 LC to Ruger specs is no Joke. And with heavy bullets it's easier to keep things right near sound barrier levels. You'd be surprised at a 44 Mag launching 180s to max FPS nearly leaves blood dripping from your ears if shot sans ear pro like a real life scenario.

I have NOT used the 300 grain XTPs pictured on game yet. But the accuracy in the above revolver really tightened up. And I am confidant they will perform on deer, black bear, cougar and humans if needed.

I thought there was a better way to Skin the Cat, and invested into the new Glock G40 10mm. The verdict is still out on this gun and it's performance. After taking the bear, I am left with a more Warm and Fuzzy with the Redhawk in 45LC on nearly all Fields: accuracy, horsepower and lethality.

But I did manage to make the 10 work this past November...way more rounds, and overall Firepower, as well as lighter. But just not the Warm and Fuzzy, or 'Merica...F Yeah.....as the Redhawk.
IMG_0973_zpsyeqndieu.jpg

I'm thinking a 4.2" .45 Colt (like Jesse's) could be a mighty fine woods self defense gun. Handy and easily carried, a little heavy though. You would be able to load stout Ruger Only .45 Colt loads when needed and have have fun shooting normal pressure .45 Colt ammo. Just thinking about it makes me one....

attachment.php

For sure you could shoot much more economically with reloads of the 255 grain Lead over a few grains of Unique route. Fun to plink with, and simply slide in some warmer loads for the field. The 45 LC really is a dandy of a cartridge still to this day. The cast bullets may have been outdated by new technology, but the Colt is still a workhorse in the Ruger platform.

OP
rileybassman
Well I just ordered a 5.5" Redhawk today. I'm pretty stoked. Wasn't able to hold a 5.5", but held a 2.5", and feel like 5.5" should be all around good compromise with power, accuracy and portability.

Ordered a Galco gunbelt and DAO holster as well, so I should be good to go for tromping around in MT this fall :)

I have a super redhawk that shoots 300 gr Hornady custom ammo really well I was pretty surprised at some of the groups I was able to get

Takeem406

WKR
I borrowed a Super Redhawk from the father inlaw last fall. It shot good but it weighed a lot. This spring I bought the Smith 69. For me it's the perfect balance between weight and shootability. Handles the 305 HSM's well. Not fun but shootable!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
rileybassman
I borrowed a Super Redhawk from the father inlaw last fall. It shot good but it weighed a lot. This spring I bought the Smith 69. For me it's the perfect balance between weight and shootability. Handles the 305 HSM's well. Not fun but shootable!

The 305 HSMs are what i picked up today to load once it arrives. I shoot the 180s out of my .357 and they shoot pretty good. Have you shot them over a chronograph?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Takeem406

WKR
I haven't yet.
I like the fact there's 50 in a box so you can play with them and still have enough to carry.

mcseal2

WKR
I have a 5.5" Redhawk and really like it. It seems to be a good length for accuracy and ease of carrying. I put night sights on mine so I can aim it in low light, very happy with the gun. I got Pachmyr grips too to reduce the recoil, I don't have huge hands and the aftermarket wood grips on it when I bought it were to big for me. The Pachmyr grips fit me much better. I wear a size L in most gloves, XL in some.

OP
rileybassman
I have a 5.5" Redhawk and really like it. It seems to be a good length for accuracy and ease of carrying. I put night sights on mine so I can aim it in low light, very happy with the gun. I got Pachmyr grips too to reduce the recoil, I don't have huge hands and the aftermarket wood grips on it when I bought it were to big for me. The Pachmyr grips fit me much better. I wear a size L in most gloves, XL in some.
Yea grips are one thing im not sure about... im a size small in gloves:( i have jr high cheerleader hands... but the factory wood grips seem fairly small, so im hoping they work out ok.

OP
rileybassman
Well, just got home with my brand new redhawk... to say im excited is an understatement:) its a beautiful gun, and the recoil was waaay less then i was anticipating... even with 305 grain hardcast bullets, its a pleasure to shoot! It is heavy tho... i will feel a little more secure during bow season in bear country now;-)
fa1d4f856e680c9ccd47afa359081633.jpg

elkguide

WKR
Have the same one and love it. It's ridden on my hip for many miles in Grizz country and even as much as I trust it........ I still carry bear spray. Good luck and have fun "testing" your new carry gun.

OP
rileybassman
Beautiful piece. Congrats....now if they would only start to produce them in 45LC again....

Post up how it shoots
Thank you, im very blessed. I only shot a couple cylinders on the way home, but it seems like it will be very accurate... hitting an apple at 15-20 yards should be relatively easy... and thats for a .44 mag newb. I'll let you know if i come across any .45 LCs.

Muttly

WKR
Congrats, and good call, IMO!.
Redhawks were tough to find for a while. Good lookin gun, and pretty versatile. 44 let's you run mild to wild, and plenty of good loads in either direction..

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Well that's an awesome choice. The RedHawks are sweet. I actually have this same gun and I'll never be getting rid of it.

I also have the super blackhawk in 454 but as far as all around revolvers I really like the RedHawk. Awesome gun, I have the 5.5 like you and also the kodiak backpacker version. The kb is cool but mostly just sits in a pouch while I fly fish.

mcseal2

WKR
Yea grips are one thing im not sure about... im a size small in gloves:( i have jr high cheerleader hands... but the factory wood grips seem fairly small, so im hoping they work out ok.

The factory grips are much smaller than the aftermarket ones my used gun came with. I think I'd have stuck with them if mine had had them, they sure look much nicer than my rubber Pachmyr's.