Ruger Gunsite Scout

the Ruger Scout is as solid a rifle for ANY purpose that one will find anywhere, pretty easy to personalize too - for some reason, I've read more than several reviews by B.C. and AK outfitters & guides who say this is THE bullet proof rifle to have
They don't conform to the modern day "lightweight" but then, a lot of shooters and HUNTERS don't care about that

lewisa45

FNG
I run mine with the EER leupold 2.5. Great setup and my go to for whitetail. I hunt the Adirondacks in NY, generally a sub 100 yard hunting environment, but scored a beauty last season with a 130 yard hit. Rifle performed beautifully and continues to impress.

EcoastDG

FNG
I had a gsr in 308 a fewyears back. I ended up trading it for my wife’s Tikka. Kinda regret it now. I loved that rifle. Shot a bunch of deer with it. Might have to get another one.

Attachments

• F7240B93-17F3-49B3-B468-CF3892B06D23.jpeg
    F7240B93-17F3-49B3-B468-CF3892B06D23.jpeg
    515.1 KB · Views: 33

mcseal2

WKR
I have one but haven't hunted with it yet. It's kinda set up to be my brush gun for mixed terrain where my 30-30 might lack in reach. I went with an XS rail with the rear peep sight. I bought it with a Leupold VX-6 at a price where I almost bought the scope and got the gun with it. Anyway I put the scope on in standard mounts and added the rail and a Timney trigger. I also removed the brake and put a thread protector on it. It's loud enough without the brake. It shoots Federal 165gr Sierra Gameking loads under 1". I need to get it chronographed and see where I'm at with the short barrel. I have some 150's to try in it also at some point. I have considered selling the VX-6 and putting a Huskemaw 1-6x24 on it. I trust dialing the Huskemaw more and I'd likely hunt with it more if I was more confident reaching out to 350 or 400. I just haven't put the time in with it or checked how fast the 165's are yet. I have other rifles I know well that I keep grabbing to hunt instead of shoot with.

I have a Springfield M1A scout with the forward scope, a 1.25-4x Leupold. I like the scout set up but I don't find that they do great in the low light a lot of my shots seem to come in. For that reason I have stuck with conventional scopes on hunting guns. I like having back-up irons and a tough rifle though. If I get more time behind the trigger with my Ruger scout I might start taking it as my back-up rifle on more hunts. It would be pretty handy for some mid day still hunting for example.

Where I hunt both around home and out west I seem to end up taking a lot of shots in the 250-400 yard range. If I hunted where shots averaged 150 or less I'd be more likely to carry the handy scout rifle instead of my 264WM or 300WM.

Last edited:

3SAM7

FNG
Anyone else out there have a scout rifle? Curious to see if any others are using it for big game hunting?

Considering buying a synthetic stock for it and throwing a scope on to use it as my go to hunting rifle if I start making trips out west for mule deer, antelope, elk, hopefully sheep someday. This is my favorite rifle I own and would eliminate the reason to buy a new one. But I realize the short barrel might not be the best for long range shooting, which I'm not really crazy about anyway. Might even leave the open sights on it and just make myself get in closer for a shot.

Just wanna hear from others who have experience using it for big game and general experiences with it.

The Scout seems to have a cult following, so if you got one lets see it!

View attachment 84142I have hunted Elk in Nevada for three seasons with mine. I have killed one Bull at approximately 300 yards, and one cow at 100 yards down hill. Mine kicks like a mule, and has considerable bullet drop at 300 yards (8 to 10 inches) using Hornady 165 gr. boat tail. The drop is probably a result of the short barrel. I also bought polymer 5 rnd. mags that are superior to the metal clunker that came with the rifle. Over all I like the rifle and mounted a Vortex 6.5-20x44 mil dot scope conventionally with an adapter that provides conventional eye relief. Im going to have a muzzle brake mounted on it by next season and spend more range time with it, to learn the limitations on my distance and bullet drop. The rifle is nice for hunting on horseback, as its easy to retrieve from the scabbard and handles nicely in brush. Im also looking at a Browning A-Bolt that has caught my eye, with a 22" barrel 300 win mag.

mcseal2

WKR
Just saw this old post got a new reply when my post got liked. I figured I'd update on mine.

I did recently get a Huskemaw 1-6x for my Ruger Scout. I found a used one for $330 that is a little beat up on the body but performs just fine. I also found my rifle really likes the cheap WInchester silver box 150gr SP ammo. I just got a turret for the Huskemaw in for that ammo. It's only moving 2575fps from the short barrel, and the BC sucks at .294, but I figure that's ok for this gun. That ammo can be found almost anywhere and the soft bullet should be just fine at that speed. Cheap, readily available ammo means more practice shooting too for me. I want to get the turret on and get it shot as soon as I get time. If it performs like I think it will out to 400 yards or more it will get to be my back-up gun on a lot more of my hunts. Mine is still a work in progress, but it's getting pretty close to finished.

It will probably always be a back-up or "specialty" gun to me, but it will get some use. If I'd had it along on some of my hunts where glassing isn't working and I have to get in the thick cover I'd have carried it. If I get comfortable reaching to 400+ with it I'll probably pack it more often, it will be much more versatile to me that way.

I do like the XS rail that lets me have back-up iron sights and use a conventional scope. I'm so much more used to a conventional scope that one of those fits me better. I keep a little crude half inch wrench that weighs about an ounce in the box with the mags and ammo for this rifle. The wrench came with a set of scope mounts I bought. If I ever take this gun hunting in the back country that wrench or a Leatherman will go too in case the iron sights are needed.

Last edited:

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I’ve shot several whitetails and countless pigs with mine over the last 5 years. I have the 18” stainless barrel version in .308. It’s light and goes boom and drops them hard. Solid rifle.

cal30_sniper

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got one in 5.56 and one in 6.5CM, both with conventional scopes and KeyMo flash hiders for a Sandman suppressor. I love shooting and carrying both, and have found them to be quite accurate. The perceived volume to the shooter with a can is also a lot quieter than an AR with a can.

814C44FF-5923-448E-AC32-4F6B9D4FCE4C.jpeg

kong

Lil-Rokslider
Enjoy mine as well. 350yd shot using Barnes 168 TTSX with a PST 2-10. Installed flush cups a pic rail where the front sling is and an atlas bipod. I did add the pacific tool and gauge dbm metal lower. Thinking of upgrading the scope to a 3-18 Leupy.
00506c2debff0f062dd46cb40834b03c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk