Ruger M77 barrel change feasibility

Kodiak

FNG
My dad gave me one of his old rifles, a ruger M77 chambered in 30/06. The barrel has some damage, there was som debris on the barrel when it was last fired and the end of the barrel has some deformation. It is ruined. Has anyone ever swapped out the barrel on an M77? I know they are not knows for being easy to swap and can be hit or miss on accuracy.

I am thinking if I do swap out the barrel I would go with 280 AI as I already have a 30/06. Any other thoughts of what to do with the rifle?
I know it would likely not be worth the money I put into it but is does have some sentimental value to me.
Thanks

I assume it’s an old Ruger 77 tang saftey. If so they are a flat breech and easy to rebarrel. The 280AI would be a fun cartridge also. The old 77 have a great trigger that’s easily cleaned up and adjusted. Be sure to have it properly bedded also.

OP
Kodiak

Kodiak

FNG
Thanks Cahunter. Any recommendations on barrel manufacturers? Is the swap something I can do with minimal gunsmithing experience or is is worth having a pro do?

slvrslngr

WKR
I've had a TS Ruger rebarreled, had a good smith do it. It's not difficult but you need to know what you're doing, so have a smith do it. Mine now wears a Douglas XX barrel, but any barrel manufacturer will work. You're not building a target gun, so just go with whatever the smith likes.

OR, as Robo mentioned, have the barrel cut back and recrowned. You'll loose some velocity and the blast will increase, so take that into consideration.

Unless you have a lathe and are good with it, I would say send it to a smith. My favorite is Dennis Olson of Plains, Mt. He gets along very well with Rugers of all sorts. Give him a call 406-826-3790 and he can answer all your questions.

bline

FNG
The first hunting rifle I ever got was an M77 Mark II in 7 mag with stainless and zytel stock. Once while hunting I made the mistake of leaning it up against my truck tire while looking at a map, then I drove about 10 feet and realized I'd left my rifle against the tire... I had driven over the barrel and bent it. I found a gunsmith that had a brand new stainless 338 WM barrel that he swapped out, replaced the stock butt pad with a limbsaver, and also smoothed the trigger out. That gun is a tack driver now and I'll never get rid of it.

Rokbar

WKR
I have the mid 80's M77 UL with a 18.5" barrel in .270. Not a tack driver by no means. I've tried several different loads and your lucky to get 1.5" @100yards. I've killed lots of deer with it, but it is just a chore to check zero. Also missed several deer, but I contribute that to the shooter. I have considered putting a Douglass barrel and going up to a 20". Local smith said that would run around $600. He recommended just getting a Beregara? Still on the fence for the ruger has some sentimental value as it was the first rifle I ever bought when I was in 7th grade. I'd like to make it a solid 400 yard gun from a 250 yarder.

I have the mid 80's M77 UL with a 18.5" barrel in .270. Not a tack driver by no means. I've tried several different loads and your lucky to get 1.5" @100yards. I've killed lots of deer with it, but it is just a chore to check zero. Also missed several deer, but I contribute that to the shooter. I have considered putting a Douglass barrel and going up to a 20". Local smith said that would run around $600. He recommended just getting a Beregara? Still on the fence for the ruger has some sentimental value as it was the first rifle I ever bought when I was in 7th grade. I'd like to make it a solid 400 yard gun from a 250 yarder.
600 seems a little high potentially. Dennis Olson in Plains, if memory serves, does that work for $500 or so. You can call him and get an estimate. If you turn him loose he will have that thing shooting sub MOA no problem.

WRO

WKR
Those old tang safety rugers are a special beast, my dad has one in 30-06 and 25-06.
I don't think there's a smoother action out there.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Shad71

WKR
I would at least go with a 22" light sporter barrel if you intend on keeping it a 270 Win personally. Have the smith free float it and enjoy the future hunts 🍻