Ruger m77 mkii advice

I have a .270 that I’ve had for years. I shot it a ton when i was younger and it was my only rifle but now that I have rifles with Synthetic stocks and better triggers this stays in the safe. The stock is a beautiful wood and a tank , compared to my other rifles the trigger is garbage. I want to upgrade the stock and trigger . Id like to carry and shoot this gun more and there doesn’t seem to be very many aftermarket parts for these rifles. I was thinking a Timney trigger , but really cant find a stock I like for it . Im using the ruger rings it came with and would like to upgrade those also . If you have one you’ve upgraded id like to see it or just have info ill look into Any recommendations .

Finch

WKR
Can't offer much advice but my father in law really helped the trigger on my Ruger M77 Mii in 223 cal. He's done previous trigger work so I let him give it a go. I'd be interested in hearing some responses as well. It's a pretty heavy gun IMO.

I forget the name however I did order a replacement spring from mine which was supposed to bring the break in the 3-4# range. Big improvement for my gun and it was cheap and easy to do. I know I probably found it on a quick Google search.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

letrbuck

WKR

Why do you want to ditch the ruger rings?

Stocks:
Ruger factory plastic stocks are much nicer than anyone else. The zytel are great, but the growing cult following has made them expensive. If you keep your eyes open, you should be able to find a B&C Carbelight. Hogue and Boyd's are decent options also. Past that, get the checkbook warmed up for a mcmillan or HS-precision

Why do you want to ditch the ruger rings?

Stocks:
Ruger factory plastic stocks are much nicer than anyone else. The zytel are great, but the growing cult following has made them expensive. If you keep your eyes open, you should be able to find a B&C Carbelight. Hogue and Boyd's are decent options also. Past that, get the checkbook warmed up for a mcmillan or HS-precision
That's the spring I was talking about!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I have the same rifle, I purchased from an old timer who gave up hunting. He told me it shot 1 hole groups with his hand loads so I bought it. I took it to the range shot a 3 shot group with all holes touching and put it in the safe. My only gripe was the 10 lb trigger. If you can find an aftermarket trigger in either a trigger tech or timney you will be way ahead. I don’t mind the stock but that can be a personal thing. Best wishes and hopefully you get it the way you want.

Anello

Lil-Rokslider
I had the same rifle in 30-06 for many years. It shot great and was beautiful, but heavy as hell and the trigger pull was brutal. Because of the weight penalty, it never went hunting with me as I always just took any of my synthetic stock lighter rifles. I wanted to re-purpose the rifle so I would have a reason to actually use it, so I converted it into a 35 Whelen. I sent the action to Pac Nor and had them do the re-chambering and install a new barrel, cerakote, etc. Then I bought a HS Precision stock for it, and I had a brand new gun, basically, using the donor action from my old 30-06. The new package is really awesome and gave new life and purpose to the platform.

The HS Precision stock is well worth the $479 price tag and was at my doorstep 5 weeks after I ordered it. So, if you are not averse to the price tag, I would at least do that. You can install it yourself easy as it really does not need bedding due to the design of the Ruger action. You can customize LOP with them, too.

Replacing the spring fixes the trigger pull issue for like $10 w shipping. That saved me from having to get the replacement trigger. Easy fix, easy install.

There are limited options with Ruger, but I love the platform and am super happy with the conversion of mine. A buddy advised me on the process as I am not a rifle expert, but it was easy at the end of the day.

Wrench

WKR
Ruger triggers are absolutely simple to work on. Any competent Smith can get you into the 3lb range with nearly undetectable creep and above all else.....it will fire at any temp wet or not.

Tang safety rigs are a bit more work but get the same answer.

OP
Cant hit em
Thanks guys ordered a spring , its a hunting rifle so around 3lbs would be good for me hope it gets close. Looking at the HS precision stocks and Bell Carlsons

I have a MKII in .300 win. I put it in an HS Precision stock, and had a smith install a trigger from Dayton Traister. Probably could have gotten the same results with a spring kit, but it is a big improvement from the factory trigger pull.

Wapiti1

WKR
Weigh your wood stock before you buy a new one. It is unlikely you will save any weight unless you go McMillan Edge or similar.

HS and B&C will come in between 2.5 and 3 lbs. Nice stocks, but not super weight savers. Your walnut stock is probably already about 2.5. Ruger's suffer from fat metal and not usually from heavy stocks.

As noted, the triggers are easy to work on. If you want drop in, Timney or Rifle Basix are easy and good.

I put my M77 Mk2 .300 Win Mag on a diet a few years ago. New barrel contoured to about a #2 at 24". Brown Precision stock. I milled off extra metal on the action, lengthened the magazine to 3.6" and set the trigger to 2.5#. With a Swaro Z3 scope it weighs 7.5lbs loaded. The barrel swap alone cut nearly a pound off of it.

Jeremy

OP
Cant hit em
Weigh your wood stock before you buy a new one. It is unlikely you will save any weight unless you go McMillan Edge or similar.

HS and B&C will come in between 2.5 and 3 lbs. Nice stocks, but not super weight savers. Your walnut stock is probably already about 2.5. Ruger's suffer from fat metal and not usually from heavy stocks.

As noted, the triggers are easy to work on. If you want drop in, Timney or Rifle Basix are easy and good.

I put my M77 Mk2 .300 Win Mag on a diet a few years ago. New barrel contoured to about a #2 at 24". Brown Precision stock. I milled off extra metal on the action, lengthened the magazine to 3.6" and set the trigger to 2.5#. With a Swaro Z3 scope it weighs 7.5lbs loaded. The barrel swap alone cut nearly a pound off of it.

Jeremy

Great info , appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have a M77 in 7x57 from the 70s and am in the process of replacing the trigger with a timney. I agree with the above statement that Rugers have more fat metal than fat wood. I weighed mine years ago and couldn't get to saving anything more than a few ounces by switching to a synthetic. I'd rather honestly have the wood. It feels good.

I’ve done Timney, Rifle Basix and had a Smith work on a stock trigger. All satisfactory and no decreeable difference between them.

I’ve got a HS Precision stock on my 270. It’s nice but a bit heavy. I’ve had a up close look at a MPI ultralight and it was as nice as they come.

Alaska Arms rings are the only way to go on that front.

I polished up my trigger myself and threw a spring from, don't laugh, a Pilot G2 ink pen. Works great. Factory synthetic stocks are available through brownells.

OP
Cant hit em
I polished up my trigger myself and threw a spring from, don't laugh, a Pilot G2 ink pen. Works great. Factory synthetic stocks are available through brownells.

What did you polish with , emory cloth ?
IThanks for the heads up on the Brownells

Northpark

WKR
I have one in .300 win mag. I call it my meat rifle because everything I point it at dies. I went from full factory to a hogue overmold stock with full length aluminum bedding block and my groups stayed MOA out to 500 yards. These days it wears the original walnut stock that I glass bedded and a timney trigger set at 2lbs. MOA to 600 yards with my handloads. Just beware that the timney requires some filing to fit.