ruger m77mark2

bnsafe

WKR
guys I have a ruger m77mk2 3006 my wife bought me when we were dating 20 yrs ago. I love the gun but as yall know the trigger on it sucks. so, what should I do to update the gun. mainly what kind of trigger replacement should I buy or can a gunsmith do something with the original. should I bed it? I don't want to spend very much money on it as I can go buy a new one with a better trigger etc but the gun kinda means something to me. thanks

Wrongside

WKR
I've done a couple of Timneys in the M77MII's. They turned out great. I know few guys who were happy with the RifleBasix as well. Next time I'll try and tune the trigger first, it is supposed to be pretty simple.

Good luck!

Shrek

WKR
Just about every rifle will benefit from bedding the action and it's not hard to do yourself if you are the least bit crafty and can pay attention to details. The trigger is harder on the mk II . I had one by spec tech in my last mk II that lightened the trigger fine but did nothing for the creep. I think Rifle Basix makes one and I know Timney makes one. They all are just rearranging the sear angle and lightening the spring so the basic design is the same . I would trust either trigger maker so it's a tossup on which to get. They are drop in so there is nothing to changing it out.

Wrongside

WKR
I agree on the bedding. Every rifle I own gets bedded and floated.

Timney's trigger requires enough file work/fitting for the safety that calling it a drop-in is a bit misleading.

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
thx guys, I will look into the bedding an trigger. im not gonna do the trigger work myself so will see if I can find somebody to adjust the factory one first.

Shrek

WKR
I didn't know that the timney needed fitting . I had a trigger by Spec Tech that was 100% drop in. When I got it as light as I wanted it was a bit creepy but it was a world better than the stock trigger.

Shrek

WKR
Where is your sense of adventure ? My first trigger job was on a Ruger 10-22 and it would empty the clip full auto when you pulled the trigger at one point. Great fun and adventure. I put a stronger spring back in it and it was perfect. You can do this yourself but it is safer to let a smith do it for you.

Wrongside

WKR
I didn't know that the timney needed fitting . I had a trigger by Spec Tech that was 100% drop in. When I got it as light as I wanted it was a bit creepy but it was a world better than the stock trigger.

It isn't a huge job. Not drop-in, but a guy with even a little patience and modest skills could do the install. I personally, just went real slow. The finished product was very, very good. Light and crisp. As good as any trigger I've owned actually, and that's a few now... :)