Ruger SRH project gun

WRM

WKR
Ruger SRH finally on the way in 480 Ruger (7.5 barrel). I’m already planning modifications, and, thankfully, I reached out to Cylinder and Slide about that. I’m now on their 18 month intake waiting list. Yes, sometime in 2023 they should get in touch with me to send in my pistol for work to start. Dies are on the way too, and, with luck, I'll find some powder, primers and brass in the interim and actually get to shoot it. In the meantime, let the modification advice begin!

If you’ve modified a SRH, particularly a 480 or a 454, let me know what you did, what you liked and didn’t like, and, of course, your “I shouldas”. Hopefully, by 2023 I’ll have made up my mind.

Initial plans are:

Shorten barrel to 5 inches or so and 11-degree barrel crown

Chamfer cylinder mouths

Radius and bevel leading edge of cylinder

Action job

Radius and polish trigger face

serrate spur

checker release and groove cylinder rod

Bowen Rough Country rear sight

Front sight replace with.....

Porting---really want to hear some input here. On the fence on this one.

I'm also planning to Frankenstein a mount for a Trijicon MRO on this by marrying a Burris M77 Ruger to Weaver mount to a Trijicon low Weaver mount. If anyone has done this or some alternative on a SRH for the MRO, please let me know. Not interested in a picatinny rail configuration.

Last edited:

kid44

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Super Redhawk Toklat .454 Casull, the barrel is already 5" from the factory, so far all I have done is put a fiber optic front sight on. For reference you can look at the "Wolverine" from Wild West Guns for some ideas for yours.

OP
W

WRM

WKR
I had looked at the Wolverine--spendy, as most of their stuff is.

If I felt I needed the 454, I definitely would have looked for a Toklat. Would've saved some bucks on cutting it down. Just more horsepower than I need, and I wanted to get a .480 while I still could.

Have you considered porting on yours? What's your feedback on shooting it? A handful of a caliber.

Last edited:
Should have sent it to Gary Reeder.....he can do all the work you wanted and you would have it back in about 6 months at the most. I have many, as in dozens of his single action and double action customized revolvers and 1911's. I do have a SRH Alaskan in 480. I love it and its very accurate too for a stubby barrel. No way would I wait that kind of time....and I have a revolver I had them customize for me...a Ruger GP100 stainless with a 4" bbl in 327 Federal. My woods carry gun. They do nice work, but no better than Gary does. Visit Garys website.