Rugged Smart Phones

Pre1032

FNG
The old Motorola Nextel phone would be the best. Sadly they havent duplicated that level of durability. I'm fairly confident Samsung has a waterproof or highly water resistant phone, due to people dropping them in the toilet so often lol. Throw a life on it and your good. Sonim seems like a tank, we use them at work. Downside is its heavy, and seems like an outdated operating system.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Chordeiles

Lil-Rokslider
I have an iPhone 6s with an OtterBox Defender case.
I drop my phone a lot.
Last summer, my phone went for a swim in the pool. Took a day or two for it to dry out but it’s still working......I’m on it now.

ctowntex

FNG
I have a Samsung 7 Active. They are supposed to be a tougher version of their GX counterpart. Also has a larger battery.

I have the exact same phone and I've been using it for years. Great battery life and it's been through many rain showers while in the duck blind.

Mosby

WKR
After a bunch of research, I recently bought a Samsung S10e. It has the highest IP68 rating cell phones can have for dust, water etc., Supposed to be good for up to 1/2 hour under water. I also bought a Speck case from Amazon that is supposed to met military standards for drop tests. It is an ugly color but has ridges on the case, that I really like and will be easy to find if I drop it. The combo also fits in the wireless charger in my truck, which was a big requirement for me. I deleted a bunch of the apps that were pre loaded and added some that I will actually use.
I really like it.

I bought an IPhone XR at first but didn't like it for a couple of reasons and gave it to my wife to replace her old IPhone. Much happier with the Samsung.

Hey everyone,

I am looking at getting a new smart phone, and I've been doing some research on "rugged" smart phones that have a level of water resistance/proofing, sealed from dust and some extra shock absorption. Right now I'm looking into a BV9500 Plus and a Doogee S90 Pro. Does anyone have any experience with these phones, or have any other recommendations? I appreciate any input and advice.
So update on the Kyocera, I was out in the canoe this evening duck hunting and shooting time was up so I paddled out and went to reach a little bit to get a decoy and over I went. Everything ended ok. Just got wet but wasn't smart enough to put anything in bags to protect incase of this situation and was able to call my wife no problem and am currently using the phone to write this message

Fatcamp

WKR
Bumping thread for more replies. My Kyocera Sapphire Pro is going south after 3-4? years. Been an awesome phone but they upgraded it and now the reviews are rough.

Whats everyone using? Is the new Kyocera the way to go and squeaky wheels are over blowing minimal issues?

ItemB

Lil-Rokslider
I have no experience with the phone, but Samsung has the Samsung Galaxy Xcover that looks like it could fit the bill for a more rugged phone.

Rokwiia

WKR
I had the same question about what rugged smartphones are out there. Here is a thread I started less than 3 months ago about the same topic. I still like the concept of the Ulephone Armor 7. In the end, I got a Samsung Galaxy 10 and then opted for the most rugged cases I could find.

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/rugged-smartphone-for-outdoor-use.164797/

I ordered a number of cases and kept the two I thought worked best for me. For every day use, I chose the Otterbox Defender case as it was more protective than any other I could find. For outdoor use, I use the Juggernaut IMCT case and have mounted it on a folding PALS mount as depicted in the video at post #25 in the thread. It works very well for outdoor use and it is hands free if you mount the case.

If I were doing it again, and urgency of getting a smartphone was not a factor, I'd consider getting an iPhone as I found that there were companies that made rugged cases for them but not Androids. That said, I'm very pleased with my setup.

Good luck in your search.

Last edited:

Fatcamp

WKR
I have no experience with the phone, but Samsung has the Samsung Galaxy Xcover that looks like it could fit the bill for a more rugged phone.

That phone sounds interesting but it looks like Verizon doesn't sell it. The Galaxy is in the running for sure, I would just have to put it in a case.

Fatcamp

WKR
I had the same question about what rugged smartphones are out there. Here is a thread I started less than 3 months ago about the same topic. I still like the concept of the Ulephone Armor 7. In the end, I got a Samsung Galaxy 10 and then opted for the most rugged cases I could find.

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/rugged-smartphone-for-outdoor-use.164797/

I ordered a number of cases and kept the two I thought worked best for me. For every day use, I chose the Otterbox Defender case as it was more protective than any other I could find. For outdoor use, I use the Juggernaut IMCT case and have mounted it on a folding PALS mount as depicted in the video at post #25 in the thread. It works very well for outdoor use and it is hands free if you mount the case.

If I were doing it again, and urgency of getting a smartphone was not a factor, I'd consider getting an iPhone as I found that there were companies that made rugged cases for them but not Androids. That said, I'm very pleased with my setup.

Good luck in your search.

Nice thread. My wife and I both just ordered Galaxy S10 and Lifeproof Fre.

OnX for both and we will buy a Phone Skope to share.

dtrkyman

WKR
I have an iPhone se, still prefer smaller phones.

Lifeproof case has saved it dozens of times, first case lasted three years and the screen was to scratched up, found a new one for 35bux

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk